....80 Amax .... SUCKS for DROPPING Deer....HELP

This thread is funny, never minding the bullet question , the better question is if you don't know the where what and why of a deers anatomy should you even be allowed to hunt them... A bowhunter that can't wrap his head around a lung shot? Thanks for the chuckle!

A 40 yard run should not be too much of a problem. I have seen that with 30-06, 7mag, 270 and several others.

I know Venatic has been shooting some deer and hogs with the 22 creedmore and a 75 grain amax and dropping them. Put I am sure a few will run a few yards depending on the shot placement.

I've had a lot of deer run a short distance with larger caliber rifles when shot in the lung area... but I was thinking... and hoping... that these high speed bullets would cause more implosion ... thus more dirt naps on the spot.

I know that the shoulder area is probably the BEST... which I'll try.

But this does have me thinking about a different type of bullet that will cause more smack down.

Last edited:

Dan, like several others have mentioned, give the Barnes TSX a try. I am completely sold on those bullets for deer and antelope. They generally drop where they stand. But, I was using larger calibers too. Still, the TSX is a great bullet and would be my pick.

As to deer running after a shot - it happens with all cartridges at times. You just never know with deer. I have dropped them on the spot with a 6x5 and had them run from a 7mm Mag and a 444 Marlin. Caliber size doesn't always matter much. The main thing is to make a good solid hit in the vitals and it will be yours.

Well... I didn't see a deer today to try a shoulder shot on.... Dog Gone-it... but it's still open in Texas and Alabama. NOW... if I just had a friend there...LOL.

I'm getting more and more sold on the TSX bullets... they sound like real winners for sure.

I guess my #1 goal with this thread was to find a certain bullet, running at a certain speed, that would cause certain DRT... with LUNG SHOTS.

The Ultimate Implosion Bullet Combo.

Originally Posted By: shipplyThis thread is funny, never minding the bullet question , the better question is if you don't know the where what and why of a deers anatomy should you even be allowed to hunt them... A bowhunter that can't wrap his head around a lung shot? Thanks for the chuckle!

While this is quite a blunt reply, it is spot on.

I too was laff'n..

Like many said.... Lung shots kill deer always,but they don't always DRT. A small death run is a not a big deal. If ya want DRT high shoulder will do it.

I guess I'm not able to make my thoughts understandable. I know the anatomy of deer and other game. I'm NOT asking where to hit deer.... I'm asking what bullet will implode the Lung area.

I wasn't asking where to hit them to drop them.... it's not about bowhunting anatomy lung shots... I don't get the humor there.... got me confused... it's all about putting a grenade in the lung area that will cause DRT.

I'll look at the TSX bullets and let it ride at that... thanks so much Guys for your input... Dan

Ps.... I really like those anatomy pics... thanks so much for posting them...

TSX/ TTSX I am a fan too, but don't waste your time. They aint gonna implode like you want. Infact if there is a bullet that will do what you want, it will likely splash on the surface.

"Hit'em high watch'em die" It's not rocket science !

I think I get you, Dan. But you are never going to implode the lung ( think you are using the wrong word). You may get enough explosion of the lung to drop it, but the lung is spongy material so can take a lot of concussion without drt.

Lung shots will not deliver reliable DRT results like you want. If you want that, hit the high shoulders. Disrupts the CNSand lungs, and they go to sleep.

Bergers are not A-max's on coyotes and nothing drops deer DRT except bullet placement....Jeezus these threads are full of inexperienced dumb a$$es, and not just Dan....!

PLOTBOSS

Last edited:
You won't get a round to put deer 100% DRT with a heart/lung shot. Last muley I shot I crept up on while he was bedded down once he stood up he took a 165g NBT from my .30-06 through the heart and still he ran a good 30-40 yards. I was getting ready to feed him another when he started to wobble. I thought I made a poor shot but when I cut him open the heart was gone. Literally I only found a few small pieces of it. Exit wound wast pretty typical, I could fit two or three fingers into it. If you want to guarantee them on the spot you'll have to break bones, cut the spine or brain shoot them.

Is anyone here shooting bullets swaged from 22 LR cases as jackets? They seem to do for me what dan brothers is looking for in a bullet even without high velocity. I am shooting a 70gn soft point rebated boat tail and even at the lower velocity of the 223 Rem they do not shoot through a coyote with any solid body hits even broad side lung shots. At the 2750 fps I am loading them to in a 223 Rem a lung shot kills like a lightning bolt and the coyotes feel like a bag of jello when picked up.

The 22 RF case is very thin compared to a commercial bullet jacket, that and it is a uniform thickness front to rear where as a commercial jacket is tapered being thin at the front and progressively thicker to the rear.
In the process of making the bullets the 22RF cases get annealed to dead soft enough so that they can be easily squeezed flat between thumb and index finger. They are likely limited to about 85 to 90 % of max velocity in big cases like the 22/243 with quick twist barrels. I am shooting the 70gn in a 223 with 1/9" twist and can shoot to full velocity for the smaller cartridge. I shoot a lighter version of the swaged 22 RF bullets at 55gn in a 22/250 with a 1/14" twist to about 3600 fps with good accuracy. I am in the process of building a 1/9" twist 22/250 to shoot the 70gn at a bit more velocity than I can get from the 223 Rem. I really like the 70gn weight in .224" cal as they just seem to pack more clout that the conventional weight 22 cal bullets.
With all the shooters here on this site I doubt I am the only one swaging bullets but I haven't yet seen anyone mention it.

Faulty Bullets....LOL... I don't think I have a problem with them... just shot placement...LOL.

I was all ready to shoot the shoulder yesterday if any deer walked out into the 400 yd wide clear-cut. MY LASER DEATH RAY...LOL... would have put the hurting on it as well... making for an easy chip shot. I love my rifle and it's caliber... it just needs more blood spilled from it.

Pine Sap from pine trees at 280 yds don't count for blood spills... even though two shots hit the same spot. (It was at the end of the hunt just before I climbed down... those Primos Trigger Sticks work wonderful for making a steady rest... even out of a Gorilla Climbing Treestand... 22 ft up.

All the coyotes I shot on my Fur-Mo-Camper trip came from my 20-250 AI... it's even more of a death ray laser with 55 gr Bergers...which are NOT designed for hunting either... but they also cause spinners when shot in the lung area... I guess I gotta get away from that lung area on everything.

I thought the 80 Amax would cause more Implosion ...LOL... Internal Explosion... I think I got it now....LOL...Thanks... and I knew it was NOT designed as a hunting bullet, but I wanted to try it anyways to see if it would knock them in the dirt like a hard stomach punch to a man.

When I loaded up a new load with the 90 Bergers... I knew 100% that it was NOT a hunting bullet, but I didn't care because I wanted maximum BC. The Montana Government Hunters that turned my onto them, said I would probably get a fair share of short runners... which was okay. But.. I thought it MIGHT cause dirt naps on deer...WRONG. Heck... I've been wrong a lot in my life...LOL... but I don't need to be called a Dumb Aszze because of stepping out into the light looking for answers.

Seems like the Moderators need to start a Forum Thread that is Titled... Apologies... and require all apologies to go into that thread for members who slam, bash, call names, belittle, and degrade any other member. Then maybe these threads can get back onto track.

I don't mean post replies that have correction, and or creative criticism... we all need that... it's the whole purpose of asking questions in the first place.

Heck... if I wasn't open minded to you Creative Thinkers and Doers... I'd would have never made it this far...LOL...THANKS.

I shoot a 22-6mm with 75 amaxs and every thing is drt with shoulder shot an apudad at 560 and never took a step muledeer at 810 same thing lots of whitetail all long range oat feild shots I'm running them 3400

Back