6mmbr or 6.5x284???????

philip

If you had a choice between these two calibers which one would you choose and why??????

Long range varmint plinker.......

if you go with the 6.5-284 use a long action so you can seat the bullets to the base of the neck and use a 6.5-284 Norma not the win,the Win uses a very short lead,good luck

Depends on what your definition of long range. Like jack said 300 yards the 6br is a heck of a choice. I would even say out to 600 yards the 6br is a great choice. Another plus the 6br has over the 6.5x284 is barrel life. the 6br will give you 3 times the barrel life. I do think the 6.5x284 is one heck of a cartridge though. I love the 6mm and the 6.5mm chamberings. I will own one of each before i am all said and done!! I think i will own the 6br before the 6.5x284. I already have a 260 Remington. I am getting ready for another build and it will be either a 6mm or another 6.5mm chambering. I am calling the gunsmith today to figure out all the details. Both chamberings have there place! Just the way I see it!! Lee

Alot depends on what you consider LR and what type condition you figure to shoot in. Some day here in Co the wind can blows pretty hard out east, morning may be calm so I'll take a acouple rifles.

If your building the 6Br for the VLD bullets conditions can shorten the yardage you want to shoot at so the 6.5x284 would see more use but I think the 6.5x284 is better suited for shots past 500/600yd you get to take advantage of that caliber.

My 6Br isn't twisted for the VLD bullets but I think Jack may be right on 400yd average range if you were to use those bullets. Once in awhile I decide I want to shoot some LR varmits so I'll break out the 6.5x284 maybe acouple times a year it's just not my everyday varmit rifle. Well good luck

Realistically......

What would the effective killing range be with a 70gr. ballistic tip and a 1 in 14 twist barrel.....6mmbr.

Varmint shooter only...

Quote:
Depends on what your definition of long range. Like jack said 300 yards the 6br is a heck of a choice. I would even say out to 600 yards the 6br is a great choice. Another plus the 6br has over the 6.5x284 is barrel life. the 6br will give you 3 times the barrel life. I do think the 6.5x284 is one heck of a cartridge though. I love the 6mm and the 6.5mm chamberings. I will own one of each before i am all said and done!! I think i will own the 6br before the 6.5x284. I already have a 260 Remington. I am getting ready for another build and it will be either a 6mm or another 6.5mm chambering. I am calling the gunsmith today to figure out all the details. Both chamberings have there place! Just the way I see it!! Lee

What would be the advantages of the 6.5-284 over the .260 Remington?

Both cartridges launch 140 grains bullet at 2700 ft/sec.

Quote:
Realistically......

What would the effective killing range be with a 70gr. ballistic tip and a 1 in 14 twist barrel.....6mmbr.

Varmint shooter only...

Realistically, I would not hesitate to use the 6mmBR on Woodchuck sized varmints at ~700yds with fragile bullets (V-Max and BlitzKing)... if the rifle was up to it.

The cartridge is capable of the accuracy - a local club shoots chicken eggs at 500yds and the 6mmBR is the top winner at every match.

Quote:
"...What would be the advantages of the 6.5-284 over the .260 Remington?

Both cartridges launch 140 grains bullet at 2700 ft/sec.

About 200fps - the 6.5x284 will do ~200 fps faster than the smaller 260 Rem.

Realistically, I would not hesitate to use the 6mmBR on Woodchuck sized varmints at ~700yds with fragile bullets (V-Max and BlitzKing)... if the rifle was up to it.

The cartridge is capable of the accuracy - a local club shoots chicken eggs at 500yds and the 6mmBR is the top winner at every match.

So what your saying is you would give these varmints a go at 700 yds. with a 6mmbr and a 70 gr. v-max....is that correct????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

70 gr. bullet being the key ingredient here.....

I know this rifle is capable of long shots, but my understanding is that they are made with heavier bullets and a 8-9 or 10 twist rate....

I`m shopping in the 1 in 14 twist 70 gr. area....

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

So what your saying is you would give these varmints a go at 700 yds. with a 6mmbr and a 70 gr. v-max....is that correct????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

70 gr. bullet being the key ingredient here.....

I know this rifle is capable of long shots, but my understanding is that they are made with heavier bullets and a 8-9 or 10 twist rate....

I`m shopping in the 1 in 14 twist 70 gr. area....

The 6mmBR rifles are made with twists anywhere from 14" to 8"

Mine is a 14" twist. It will shoot the 65gr V-Max and the 70gr BlitzKing.

I'm not a Nosler user, but if I was, I could use the 70gr BT.

But I rather use the V-Max and BK, cuz they are more fragiler.

I have researching the 6.5-284 a good bit for a build. it's everything they say it is. I may still do it in the future because its a cool "wildcat". I have a Savage 110 with a magnum boltface to build on. That I think I am going to go with a 264 Win. Mag on that. Not alot of diffrence between the two.

Philip
I think one of the only things that will limit you at 5 to 700 yard varmints with the 6BR is the scope you put on top of it. Even though so many other calibers have been introduced, its still a widely used caliber for benchrest competition at 300+ yards.

There are more then several 6 BR's used for 1000 yd F Class
shoots.
Great caliber but the 6.5 x 284 has more power.
I have one buddie that is deadly with a remington 260 out past 1000 yds.
It just depends on what your flavor is.

My 6br's all have 1/14 twist barrels IMHO if that twist was right for 500/700 yd shooting why are they using VLD bullets/1/8 twist barrels for that yardage? You can get over on 6BR site and see result for the Hickory/egg shoots plus guns listed in "guns of week" and all are listed with VLD bullet 1/8 twist for the 6br.

Sure the 6Br may win alot at the egg shoot but how many shooters miss 15/20 or 30 and you cann't tell how far they are off the egg because they don't have a backer. I sure don't see any of them pictured at those matches using bipods most are BR type rifles.

Most of my varmit shooting is off bipod don't get a change to set up wind flags my targets may not be exactly at 300/400/500yds and I don't get sighters.

I break my varmit shooting into 3 yardage 300yd or less 300 to 500yd 500yd beyond. I may be alittle over gunned at some yardage that overlaps and I've never taken a 500yd shot with the 6br and 70gr bullets not when I have a 243AI/6RemAI. When I decide to use the 6.5x284 I have to set up talble/rest etc.

Quote:
Philip
I think one of the only things that will limit you at 5 to 700 yard varmints with the 6BR is the scope you put on top of it. Even though so many other calibers have been introduced, its still a widely used caliber for benchrest competition at 300+ yards.

All of my rifles wear Nightforce scopes and Ken Farrel rings and bases, so i`m pretty sure i`m covered there...

I also shoot from a bench, it`s an elevated platform actually, about 15' in the air...very sturdy piece..

While i`m not sure i`ll be able to hit them at 6-700 yds. i`d just like to have a rifle capable of reaching out there as well as doing some up close work.....

Catshooter,

I`m thinking 14 twist with 65-70 gr. blitzkings or v-maxes as well.....

I just want an accurate rifle that will give me a chance at 4-700 yrds. not something to wring every last bit of accuracy from and set world records...i can`t shoot that well anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks guy`s.

Phil.

Quote:
If you had a choice between these two calibers which one would you choose and why??????

Long range varmint plinker.......

What type of rifle are you building off of?

Kaiser Norton

I`ve chosen the 14 twist for two reasons...

The 65-70 gr. bullets are more than enough for a varmint rifle...

This rifle combination is available from either Cooper or Dakota arms with the twist i`m looking at.....

Back