53 gr. V-Max in .22-250 for coyotes????

Silverfox

Has anyone tried the 53 gr. Hornady V-Max for coyotes? It has a real high BC of .290. I used it on PDs towards the end of the season this year and the 53 gr. V-Max really decimated the PDs. My Tikka Master Sporter .22-250 with a 1 in 12 twist Brux barrel is super accurate with these bullets. I thought I might try them on coyotes, but would like to hear from anyone who has used them first.

I'm using Lapua brass, neck turned in a chamber with a .255" neck ID. The primers I'm using are CCI 200 that I bought way back in 1987 for $10.10 per 1,000!!! I purchased 5,000 of them at that time. That price included shipping and sales tax!!! I still have about 1,400 of them left. I haven't been using the .22-250 very much in past years, but used it quite a bit this summer shooting some 50 gr. Z-Max bullets and now shooting the 53 gr. V-Max projectiles.

I have tested CFE 223 and IMR 8208 XBR with the 53 gr. V-Max. While I shot some itty-bitty groups with the CFE, it seemed to be way too temperature sensitive for my liking. IMR 8208 XBR didn't seem temperature sensitive, but the IMR 8208 XBR maximum load didn't get up to the velocity I'd like to see. The Max load for 8208 is listed at 33.1 gr. and I get only 3,665 fps muzzle velocity with that load.

I tested a few loads at a bit over the maximum with 8208 XBR and got great accuracy and no outward signs of excessive pressure--YES, I KNOW I'm flirting with possible trouble, but these slightly over the max loads are way more accurate out of my 24" Brux barrel. No discernible case stretching, no hard bolt lift, no cratered primers were noticed during test firing. HOWEVER, while these loads worked in my rifle, I have to caution you to start well below the maximum loads listed in the loading books and work your powder charge weights up in small increments because your rifle may blow up using these charge weights I tested!!!!!
scared.gif

Here's a photo of a target shot at 100 yards using 37.2 gr. of CFE 223:

37_2%20gr%20CFE%20223--020%20off%20lands-8-24-2015_zpsimbgrogo.jpg

Here's a photo of a target shot at 100 yards using 35.3 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR:

35_3%20gr%208208--020%20off%20lands-8-17-2015--small_zps3zqbhmvz.jpg

And finally, here's a photo of a 100 yard target showing a 5-shot group using 35.3 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR:

35_3%20gr%208208--020%20off%20lands-8-18-2015-Grp%202--small_zpsdh4oodfh.jpg

I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has used the 53 gr. V-Max on coyotes. Thanks in advance.

Used lots of them on coyotes in my 223 Ack Imp and it's my favorite bullet to shoot in that gun.

This bullet has worked exceptionally well on coyotes for me and they always make big messy holes. If I saved hides, I would not shoot this bullet but since I don't, it's my favorite bullet to shoot and with the extra fps your 22-250 is capable of it should at least work as well and probably better.

B23--Thanks for the quick answer. What velocity are you getting with these bullets out of your 223 Ack IMP?

I save the hides, so big holes are a no-no for me. However, I think I'll try them a couple times just to see what they do at the velocities I'm getting with my loads.

I'm well below your 22-250's velocity but they do print very nice out of my 1-9tw 22in Hart @ 3350.

I'm not a particular fan of it but have you considered trying Varget? It could help with your temp. sens. issue you have with CFE223.

Last edited:
B23--Thanks for the suggestion about trying Varget. I have a fair supply of Varget and will give it a try next spring when the weather warms up.

Vmax are mean little bullets, they hate the fur! I wont shoot them at a yote, definitely accurate though. Varget and 53 SMK wont tear up the hides beyond repair in my experience.

53 V-max in my 223 got some big holes this year! Went to Speer 55gr TNT H.P. This is what the Speer guy recommended for coyotes to save fur. Haven't gotten one yet with this bullet. I have shot some with the 52 gr. Speer Varmiter H.P. Flat base in my 223. These did work good on side shots. I can only imagine what the 22-250 using 53 grain V-Max would do to the hide on a coyote. OUCH!!!! I do use 53 gr.V-Max in my 22-250 for P.D. WOW!!!!!
I use IMR 4064 and get clover leafs at 100 yds. On the reloading chart it doesn't look much different than VARGET and it is readily available and a couple dollars cheaper.

Last edited:
By no means a very big sample, but I shot three with the 53gr vmax last year (with 223AI) & never had an exit; all with small entrance holes. Not one even twitched after the shot...

I say try them & see, looks like you got them shooting very well. I wouldn't change a thing.

Silverfox, I can tell by your notes that you are a very experienced reloader and shooter, that wind incicator and speed tells all.

Great job on the load development!!! I noticed as you went up in powder charge your vertical went away.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeBy no means a very big sample, but I shot three with the 53gr vmax last year (with 223AI) & never had an exit; all with small entrance holes. Not one even twitched after the shot...

I say try them & see, looks like you got them shooting very well. I wouldn't change a thing.

I shoot this bullet out of my 223AI as well and with the exception of one my dad smoked at a little over 400 yards, all have had exit holes with both being bigger and messier than someone saving pelts would like. What distances have you shot yours at??

I've had good luck with the 53 vmax. Farthest I've shot a coyote is 418yds and it didn't go anywhere. Flat shooting bullet with great accuracy out of my model 10 with a 1-12 twist. I'm shooting it with RL15 which is more temp stable

I use the 53gr Vmax in my .223 and they are running right around 3600fps last I checked. The furthest kill shot ive made is 441yds and he dropped like a rock! We had to look real hard for the extrance hole, there wasnt an exit.
The only fur damage ive had was a high back shot at pretty close range. I honestly believe it was mostly my fault.

Try them, they are an outstanding bullet!

"I use the 53gr Vmax in my .223 and they are running right around 3600fps last I checked."

Wow! That seems fast. What load?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jay Cummings

"I use the 53gr Vmax in my .223 and they are running right around 3600fps last I checked."

Wow! That seems fast. What load?

Yes i was quite suprised myself. At first i didnt believe the chrono but ive checked it on the range at distance against a ballistic calculator also.
Its a pretty stiff load and im not willing to give it out on a public forum.
Sorry

Last edited:
Shot my first one with a 53 grain Vmax in my .223 just yesterday - factory Hornady load. Small coyote broadside at about 75 yards or. Pretty messy. Fairly large exit wound, maybe 2 inches in diameter. One coyote is not much to go one, but I've whacked a couple jack rabbits with them too and I can tell you that's real ugly. Based on my limited experience, I would not call these fur friendly.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamShot my first one with a 53 grain Vmax in my .223 just yesterday - factory Hornady load. Small coyote broadside at about 75 yards or. Pretty messy. Fairly large exit wound, maybe 2 inches in diameter. One coyote is not much to go one, but I've whacked a couple jack rabbits with them too and I can tell you that's real ugly. Based on my limited experience, I would not call these fur friendly.

I find it interesting how we (diffent hunters) get very different results with the Vmax bullet line. Myself, ive never had a pass thru with the Vmax bullets. I know this thread is about the 53gr Vmax, but ive never had a pass thru even with The Hornady 50gr SP either.

I use sierra varminter 50 grsp in my 223,22-250. no splash shots.I dont care for the v-max bullet for that reason.

Last edited:
terrible bullets for coyotes especially at 22-250 speeds. I think they suck at 223 speeds honestly. unless you hit the coyote perfectly it required lots of followup shot. shoot a sierra 1365 if you want a good coyote bullet in 22-250,

Back