410 shotgun?

A 410 is a fun gun. I wasn't a fan of them but started my boy on one and I like them now. I had a 870 and sold it, bought my wife a s/s and myself a o/u from a pawnshop a friend owns and these little doubles are fun for doves and squirrels. My wife has hunted and killed crows with hers and I killed a coyote with #6s while squirrel hunting. He was really, really close.

I started all four of my kids on .410's after they graduated the rimfire category. That being said, you had better be a dang good shot and be pretty close to your intended target. I still own and use one every once in a great while but for the most part I carry a single shot 12 or 20 gauge for tree rats. The single shots are much, much lighter then any of our pump guns.

a mossberg 500 pump cost me 248.00 new out the door last year.its fine for what i do with it.i would be a fool to invest in a nice shotgun then bash the crabappletrees etc with it.
shells run 14-17 a box and at times(around here anyway)are hard to find a good selection of shot sizes.
the cost to enjoyment factor is irrelavent for me,
i have patterned many brands and for hunting i prefer federal or winchester 2 1/2"-loaded with 4 shot.anything lighter at 25 yards and its like throwing pepper on them.the three " shells pattern with a semi-large hole in the pattern.i think due to the wad traveling to fast and punching through the shot.
sometimes you get lucky though and can down game at 30 paces.this was last year with my 14"barrel

I have an old Savage 410/.22 OU that is a great gun. I've shot pheasant, squirrel, rabbits, and turkey (4 shot - called in to about 15 yards- head shot). I wish they still made those. I've since graduated to pellet guns for the challenge. Now using a Gamo Whisper. Before that, I had a Crossman American Classic Model 1377.

My old rabbit hunting partner and I both carried 410's for bunnies in front of the beagles. His was a Win 42 Skeet gun and I had a nice little Stevens SxS, they were deadly little rigs on rabbits. We tried to hunt Pheasant and Grouse with them but got too many cripples and kept them just for the rabbits. Still have mine. After we went in the service our path seperated and haven't seen my old partner for 40yrs.

AWS

After hunting deer with my T/C PISTOL for a few years i decieded to get a .410 barrel for it.. (Pistol 12 inch ) last year ive hunted partridge rabbit's and a few other things... so far it hasnt let me down yet... I really like the idea of hunting with a T/C .45 / 410 Pistol....

I have an 11-48 Remington in 410 that is a hoot. I have had the luck of shooting pheasants on a private reserve ran by a company for their customers numerous times and wouldn't shoot anything else in that situation. I also have an 1100 28ga that I shoot in the dove fields. If you don't reload the shell cost factor is high, but if you do load it is the most economical shotgunning you will have. Russ

Originally Posted By: JLJ223My first gun was a bolt action Mossberg 410 that my Dad got me for my 13th birthday, presently I own a Remington 870 Express.

Was it a 183? This was given me by my father when I was 8.

yoteke2.jpg

Originally Posted By: FrankenCubI started hunting tree rats with a 410 pack gun. It was a fun little gun. I would like a 410 barrel for my Encore handgun but we can't have a smooth bore
frown.gif

Does the Encore have a smooth bore? With my Contender I have a rifled 45/.410 barrel...it has a choke with splines that stop the shot cup from spinning as it exits the barrel.

I like the .410 myself and use one 99% of the time for hare hunting with beagles. My preference is for my Magnum Research BFR revolver. When I am handling my beagles I can slip it in the shoulder holster and have my hand free.
thumbup.gif

BFR45LC410_1.jpg

we cant hardly keep used 410 in stock in store. we buy or pawn everyone we can get our hands on. ive thought of ordering some new ones just afraid i will get stuck with them the rossi 410/22 sells around christmas we have a 410 pump in pawn that i have had my eye on if the people dont come back and pay on it soon. i think it will be my sons it is a youth gun. be a expensive gun to shoot but should be fun for him and his sister for rabbits and doves.

I bought a Mossburg .410 to start my daughters with.They were a little shy about the noise of my guns.My oldest was old enough to hunt this year and handled it without any trouble squirrel hunting.It's a great light gun that fit her well.She kept her shots in range and did a fine job bringing home dinner a couple times.I was skunked of course.
If I'd handed her a 20 ga at 12 yr. old and she got thumped a time or two because of bad form at the range she might not of cared to keep shooting I used to use an 870 in .410 on occasion rabbit hunting when I ran Beagles.

I remember the days when Western Auto sold brand new Winchester model 37s for $22.95. As a young boy, I would froth at the mouth every time I went in the store, looking at the guns, especially the .410s. I wanted one so bad, but never got it. That was a lot of money back in those days and my parents couldn't afford it.

Besides that, my dad always said a .410 was a good grasshopper shooter, and that's about all.

I did manage to take my second squirrel with a .410, my first being with a 22 rifle. I've also wounded several squirrels later that I never recovered once I got old enough to buy my own .410. The little shell just doesn't have what it takes to bring squirrels out of tall hickories.

Still, I like the .410, but recognize it's limitation. It's a lot of fun if used within it's capability. My dad was right, at least pertaining to a serious hunting shotgun, that the .410 just doesn't cut it.

Ah, but I still like them. Seems I can't get the "boyhood desires" out of me.

Man I cant even get a used one for that price here. If Walmart in Canada had them for that price I would be ALL over it.

I have a Westernfield in a .410. Ibelieve it it is a mossberg action. Great little gun. Haven't shot it in years.
I've got a cottontail hunt planned for this year. .410 is a great gun for what it is designed for.

Tony

Originally Posted By: gustmouseThey are nice and light to carry
I think someone loads a factory shell with a 3/4 oz load
I guess a bit pricy if you shoot it a lot, but if you only shoot a 100 or so a year
not worth reloading
I found this for $59 at a local gun store. Took the varnish off the stock and cleaned it up some. Makes a good walk around or camp gun!
Savage944_410.jpg

Savage 944

Heh, I've got that same shotgun in 20 gauge. My dad bought it for me when I was about 12. It's the "youth" model and from what I remember it kicks like a mule with heavy game loads.

I'll pass it along to my son soon, he deserves a good beating.
laugh.gif

Back