3/28/24 Female

PING

Got this female after a comedy of errors. Started with an almost perfect set for my location. Wind diagonally across me, big male came in exactly where I thought he might. He started downwind from the call, didn't make a sound but after about 14 minutes he appeared(that rarely happens where I hunt, usually I hear a lot of coyote noise but they take forever to appear here in SW PA. Hunt a mix of fields, 2 mountains, and a valley with swirling winds which makes long sets the norm for me.) He got within about 75 yards, I shot.....CLICK....nothing. I forgot to chamber a round. Coyote ran off laughing at my rookie mistake.

Kept at it. Moved a bunch of times. Called back and forth to several coyotes and finally had 2 come in when I was packing up to leave. Had to scramble to turn on my thermal on my scope, made the shot, female dropped about 148 yards away, male spent the next 8 minutes barking at me from an elliptical pattern in the woods where I couldn't see him. He wouldn't come in to any distress sounds but barked a bunch as he moved back and forth.

I messed up continually, spent 4+ hours in total, and got blessed with 1 a little after midnight. A lot of work for a small coyote but had a great time hunting.
20240328_002654DOYOTE.jpg

You are not the first to have failed to chamber a round. Ask me how I know lololol. Congrats on the dead after sticking with for a WHILE!

I’ve found that if you can’t pull the 2nd one back in with Kiyi’s or pup distress about your only hope is silence. And that could be a long, low percentage wait?

Congrats on the one you did get. And yeah… anybody that has been at any kind of hunting for awhile more than likely knows the sound of an un-chambered round. In some ways it’s deafening! Lol…

Got this female after a comedy of errors. Started with an almost perfect set for my location. Wind diagonally across me, big male came in exactly where I thought he might. He started downwind from the call, didn't make a sound but after about 14 minutes he appeared(that rarely happens where I hunt, usually I hear a lot of coyote noise but they take forever to appear here in SW PA. Hunt a mix of fields, 2 mountains, and a valley with swirling winds which makes long sets the norm for me.) He got within about 75 yards, I shot.....CLICK....nothing. I forgot to chamber a round. Coyote ran off laughing at my rookie mistake.

Kept at it. Moved a bunch of times. Called back and forth to several coyotes and finally had 2 come in when I was packing up to leave. Had to scramble to turn on my thermal on my scope, made the shot, female dropped about 148 yards away, male spent the next 8 minutes barking at me from an elliptical pattern in the woods where I couldn't see him. He wouldn't come in to any distress sounds but barked a bunch as he moved back and forth.

I messed up continually, spent 4+ hours in total, and got blessed with 1 a little after midnight. A lot of work for a small coyote but had a great time hunting.
View attachment 6984
congrats on the hunt, funny how we flub up at times, I think we all do it more times than we care to admit. I went out road riding one night, just scouting, calling and trying to locate yotes for a future evening. Stopped, let things settle down for about 10-15 minutes, then I laid into the call. Didn't hear a thing, then out of thin air about 400 yds. out here came 2 running in, better said charging. WOW, I never intended to hunt, my gun was in the back seat of the truck hahaha...needless to say the yotes won that one! Man did I feel like a dummy :)

I’ve found no matter what suppressor you have, it doesn’t silence the sound of an empty chamber!
While I haven’t pulled the trigger on an empty chamber, I did come back from an unproductive stand and went to unload my gun to find it was already unloaded!!

Same as spurchaser here-no trigger pull but empty at the truck. I have heard the CLICK a few times with my Ruger when the bolt handle would raise a little. It sounds exactly like a dry fire. Someone on here said about the raised handle and now that is one of my preset checks and it has never happened again. I did test this at home and it was the problem.

Congrats on your success 😃 ! Your persistence paid off ! I guarantee you , anyone that hunts any amount can share numerous stories similar to what happened to you !

Back