2nd Annual LBL hunt

YeHaw!

Just got permission from the "Boss" to make the LBL hunt this year! Seems since my birthday is February 4th and my wife asked me today what I wanted so that's what I told her and yes siree, I'll be calling in my cabin reservation tomorrow! Which way does the wind usually blow around the campground? I sure don't want to be down wind of the "ChilliMasters"! Looking forward to meeting all of you, SeeYa There...Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. Jimmie in Ky, I'll be bringing my digital camera and laptop for pictures. I am a newspaper photographer(semi-retired) so I'll be glad to help with whatever pics you might need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Put me down, Jimmie. And I promise not to make off with any of your gear if we hunt together this year. That white feather you gave me is in the truck and it's still a virgin.

As for techniques, do you have a climbing tree stand? About the only way I see to whip those switching winds is either to eliminate your scent with technology (difficult, expensive and unpredictable) or park your butt 15-20 feet up a tree to get your scent up off the ground. I hate packing a climber and they would slow us down somewhat, but they would address the scent problem and also boost our field of view greatly. Might be worth considering.

Do I understand correctly that Chet from Ill. may be out but Bopeye is still coming?

Just looked up the license fees for Kentucky and Tennessee.
Not sure what to do here, anyone need a hunting partner or got ideas? I know which state to hunt in has been discussed before but refresh my aging memory please. I might have a fellow member coming down with me and now my 10year old daughter wants to come, too. Is anyone else bringing a young hunter? My daughter won't be shooting, just taking pictures. Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One more question...would I be better off waiting to get my licenses down there or going online now? Thanks, Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I nocited on there that you have to pay $20 bucks for a permit to hunt LBL. Is that right? Do they have a weekly type of permit? Not that it matters, just curious.

Ronnie

The $20 dollar permit is all you can get...and you will be looking at approximatly $100 dollars for your non resident licence. Just be sure that you bring food and anything else that you would/could need. because once you get there, there is nothing around for miles, i mean miles...the only restraunt we found open within a half hour of the LBL last year was called Greasy Joe's burger barn or somthin lol there open 24 hours, but i dont think i would take a chance in eating there.

There must be something I am missing then, I have LBL permit at $20 and a Kentucky 7 day small game license at 32.50. Am I over looking something?

Where will most everyone hunt, Kentucky or Tennessee?

Ronnie

oh yeah i didnt think about the small game permit. thats all you will need is that permit and a lbl permit...last year it was about even with people hunting tenn and ky...either way you go there are a lot off dogs. only differnce i beleive is you can shoot cats in tenn but not ky. i think thats how it is but not totally sure

I will be there this year. I killed two Yotes there during the last Quota Deer Hunt (thanksgiving Weekend). Greasy Joes, in cadiz, is a pretty good place to eat. For those hunting Kentucky, you can buy your license at a Walmart in Kentucky. You can get your LBL hunt permit at the same time.

This one looks like it might turn out to be one heck of a shindig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The more the merrier.

Where you hunt is up to you. Order the maps through snail mail and look them over good. I found one drainage today with two groups in it. The blasted things are everywhere! And that wasn't one of the larger drainages. Check my other post today. Jimmie

http://www.lbl.org

Contact the website above for the info you need. You can order maps and check each states game lawsw from there,links to both states liscence requirements. I think either state can sell the liscences over the puter with credit card, I know Ky does.

Maps available are the free legal road map and topo's are ten dollars each for whichever half you intend to hunt.Jimmie

Just called to reserve a cabin...will try to call again Monday.

The direct number to customer service and reservations is (270)924-2044, ask for Wanda.

Wrangler's Campground number is (270)924-2200
General info and such for LBL is (270)924-2000

SeeYa There! Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I plan to be there, probably early. Staying with Wayne. No plans yet as to a hunting partner.

I will have my truck and eqpmt. Sounds like the best plan on setups is to use my remote call and motion decoy, then set up as far as practical from the call. Use a rifle with good range, and shooting sticks or a bipod.

I like close encounters, but with the winds at LBL it is probably better to stay as far "downwind" as possible.

I do hope you make it Critter, I want to talk howling with you bad. And from what I've seen of those dogs you will love them. Perfect saddle markings on both of the dogs I saw with tan bellies.They also had a red tint to the legs. Either of them would have made a beautiful rug. A rough gueess on the males weight would be over forty pounds, big dog!! Bigger than the 38 pound female I shot a couple of weeks ago.And she had some age on her too.

I will have to say when I called that group off the ridge I felt a wee bit under gunned with that dinky 22 mag.

Critter,
I hope you make it! Look forward to seeing you again. We are going to need all the help with these coyotes we can get!

Kee

Back