.243 bullets for yotes

Yep... my favorite has always been the 55. Second favorite... and the #1 on windy days... is the 87 V-Max. Just about any bullet from 55 to 95 will work well on dogs, but a 55 at 4000+ is hard to ignore... and a coyote definately won't shake one off.

Nope... I wish. Haven't been up there in a while. Too many hippies up there right now... and they're an angry bunch when it comes to Washington hunters these days, for obvious reasons.

Guns can be like a fickle woman, they like what they like.

Some guns love the light 55,58, and 60g bullets, others will love the 70 & 75g bullets. The 60g Sierra will not tear huge holes in yotes, and you can hit them in the back of the stomach and they will be DRT. I have shot a lot of coyotes with the 60g Sierra, start off at 46.5g of Win 760 or H414 and go up to 49.0g, stop if you see pressure signs.

I have two 243's that really do not care for the heavier bullets...go figure..

One load that seems to perform in many 243's is 43.5g-44.5g of 760 or H414 with the 70-75g bullets.

Max loads (for that rifle) of IMR 4064 with a fed 210 primer with the 70, 75, and 80g bullet works extremely well in many rifles.

For a longer range load, perhaps the best balance of speed with bullet weight is with the 80g bullet in which the accuracy load is usually in the 3450-3500 fps range on 24-26" barrels.

My favorite load in the 243(if the barrel will shoot the load) for varmints is with the IMR 4064 with the 80g blitz with 41.0-41.5g of IMR 4064 at 3450-3500 fps (work up to that load in your rifle). This load will dump a coyote hard way on the other side of 300 yards, however you have to remember that perhaps 80% of all coyotes that you will kill will be within 175 yards.

I shot p. dogs and chucks with 38.5g of H4895 with the Sierra 85g BTHP, @ 3100-3150(slow lobber load). In the barrels that I have loaded for, it seems as if the speed really drops off on the 85g bullets compared to the 80g bullets.

The best all round bullet will be the one that your barrel will shoot accurately!

Good luck!

Quote:
Nope... I wish. Haven't been up there in a while. Too many hippies up there right now... and they're an angry bunch when it comes to Washington hunters these days, for obvious reasons.

The Washington State Tree Huggers are everywhere lately, and seem pretty irrate to boot. Been hassled a bit while bear hunting, but since I am not in "Their" areas much it has not been too bad.
Tapped one of the yote's off 18 coming back from Spokane last Sunday. He ran across the road, and slowed enough to let my truck past him but did not count on my trailer.

80 grain nosler bal tip does a wonderful job on coyotes, I use varget powder and makes small groups loaded at 3,100 fps. Very fur friendly due to the thicker hunting jacket versus the thinner varmint jackets.

55 gr BT at 4200fps has my vote for the .243. The ones I've hit were opened up like pop cans. They don't go far after that. Prairie dogs love them also, They get plenty of hang time.

Jerry

Nosler 70gr. B.T. on top of 42gr. of Varget.

I have had three .243's and all have shot this load great with only seating depth changed.

hunter966

I have a browning bar 243 loves 55gr nosler silver BT. for the yotes. then shoot the 95 sbt for deer. Dont even have to resight. there only about a 1/4 inch difference in impact on papper. both rounds are very accurate also. best shooting bullets i have shoot and preform really well. the yotes i have shoot with the 55gr have needed some stitching up but they didnt run off. It will knock there red rocket in the dirt.

I also like the 87 grain V-Max bullet in my 243AI. On a windy day there is quite a difference in wind drift using a bullet with a BC of 400 and running at AI speeds. Try them.

I am way to lazy for this. I shoot the cheap blue box federal 80 grains for everthing. They perform very very well. accurate and very good killer, no big hole.
Carl

I'll add that I've had success with the same load as hunter966. 42 grains of Varget propelling a 70 grain ballistic tip is a pretty solid performer in most .243s. Sometimes you'll get big holes, but usually it's not too bad. When I worked up this load I used winchester cases and CCI BR2 primers. The charge weight might need to be altered a bit if a different brand case is used.

Back