243 and powders?

IMR-4350! I have loaded lots of rounds for several different 243 rifles over the years. It is a good shooting round and easy to load for. While there are several powders that work well for the 243 many that are much newer than what I use there is no need for me to switch.
Tuco

Excellent results with imr-4350, & a pet load or two with h-318. Even used 414 with some noslers with suprisingly good results.

Quote:
wow sounds like the 243 isnt very fussy i have alot of options.. that RL 17 sure does does interesting though.

That was my biggest problem trying to find a powder for my wifes .243. I couldnt find one that didn't shoot well. I settled on 4064 for 100gr Hornady's and Varget for 58gr Hornady's, but I'm not through yet.

Well i am finally get ready to put some loads together. I am going to try varget first beings i have it on hand. My dad has imr4350 i can try but i was wondering is there a problem with temp sensitivity with 4350. I like varget bc it is an extreme powder.
I also bought RL-15 bc they were out of almost everything else. Looks like it is for lighter bullets. Rght now i am working on a 95 grain SST load. Then comes 65 gr vmaxes and 70 gr NBT's.

I've been using IMR4350 in .243 loads since about 1976, and my dad used it before that from about 1964 or so.

I've never had a problem with it here in Arizona, and I think it's plenty hot here to notice if I did. The load I have worked up for my rifle is a grain or so over my book's max, so I'm not shooting light loads, either (it's proven safe in MY gun. Everyone else is responsible for their's).

Other powders I've tried with good results are H4350, H414 (I think?), and maybe some IMR7828 at one point or another. I'd have to look over a lot of records to be sure what I've done over the years.

Of them all, I much prefer the IMR4350.

Daryl

Looks like i have to make a trip and get some 4350... I see Hodgon has Hybrid 100v and its looks like it can push the 95 grain bullet 100 to 150 fps faster than most other powders has anyone tried 100v?

I shot 100V in my 700, 243 with 80g Sierra's.

42.3g in a Win case with a Win primer, shot extremely tiny groups. I believe that the groups were the smallest that I have shot with any sporter including the many 788's that I have had in 222 and 223. Groups constantly less than 1/2" at 200 are not bad.

My Brother's rem 700 shot the same load shooting clover leafs with the bullets always touching. I went to the gun shop and bought the last 3 lbs he had, all of the same lot that I had tried.

My regular load of IMR 4064 with the Sierra80s was great, but this 100V has got it beat by a country mile, and fast also.

I was letting the barrel cool down in front of the AC, When a crow lit in a tree at 300, just off to the side of the 300 yd berm, turned him into a gut ball.

I'm going to try the 70's next, just for grins.

My 700 SPS-V likes 70gr. Noslers and 39 gr. IMR 4064 with CCI LRM primers and Lapua or Winchester brass. Few exits on groundhogs at surprisingly close ranges. Last chrono read was 3464fps at muzzle.

thanks for the replies and keep them coming.
Well i started loading varget for the 95 grain bullets but it only called for 38 grains of powder and looking into it there was alot of room. So i got to comparing and almost all the other powders u guys listed were around 40 to 42. And i have always had better luck with near full cartridges.
Found a store with 100v and had them save it for me so hopefully get roll some out next week.
In the mean time i used my primed cases to load up some 65 vmaxes and varget. !!! Hopefully hit the range tommorow.

Grizz Here.
I'm getting ready to try IMR 4350 in the Sako varminter I just put together. Gonna start out at 45 grains and work up to 47 grains. Fed match primers, Lapua cases. My only concern
Is I'm using 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips. The 4350 may be a tad to slow. Anyone ever try this load?

Griz, I have one Rem 700 and brother has a clone that loves 47.0g of H and IMR 4350 with the 70g Noslers. Winchester primers are important, and seating touching the lands is also important.

I'd start off at 46.0g and go up in .3g Increments...you won't believe the velocity.

Good luck!

Griz, I have one Rem 700 and brother has a clone that loves 47.0g of H and IMR 4350 with the 70g Noslers. Winchester primers are important, and seating touching the lands is also important.

I'd start off at 46.0g and go up in .3g Increments...you won't believe the velocity.

Our 700's also like ARCOREY's load with Fed 210's.

Good luck

I've got but haven't loaded the 70 gr yet, I will say that the 55& 80 gr bullets shoot well with 43.5 & 39 grs. of IMR4895 respectively from my Ruger.

I've reloaded for the 243 for years. I use nothing but IMR 4350, and WIN.760, for all bullet weights. I actually like the 760, as it is ball powder and loads easier.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorMy Savage loves IMR 3031 pushing that little 55 gr. pill!

+1 My Stevens enjoys 55grn NBTs with 40gr of IMR 3031. Also the 85grn Sierra HPBT with 32.6 (min load) and the same charge for Hornady 87grn SP.

Will be using the 87grn SP's next month for Mule deer.

For years I've used IMR4064 with good accuracy but not the velocity I wanted. I recentally tried IMR4007SSC and was thrilled with the groups I'm getting. I have two Remington 700's, one ADL and one BDL. Both guns, same results. With 45.9 grains of 4007 under 70 grain Speer HP's, groups have been really good. In fact I shot the BDL today and the group measured .45". I'll take that any day, especially out of a sporter weight gun with only a 3-9X scope. I have bedded this gun and done some work on the trigger but other than that, it's a pretty stock 700 Remy. I haven't shot this load over my chronograph yet but the book shows higher velocity than IMR4064 so we'll see.

Back