223 Ballistic Silvertips for White Tail Deer??? pics added

Red Lobo

Heres my situation....My son would like to try using my .223 to hunt deer this weekend. He's 10 yrs old. He normally hunts with a Marlin .357 mag open sights. He missed a small buck last weekend with it and wants to try a scope. The rifle is sighted in for 50 grain Ballistic silvertips but I dont know how effective they would be on deer. I wont have time to sight it in properly by this weekend if I opt for the good ol lead tip bullets. The longest shot he'll get from the stand will be 40-50 yards. Would the same grain in a better bullet shoot much different at that range??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
.....or option B.....make him suck it up and use the .357. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The longest shot he'll get from the stand will be 40-50 yards. Would the same grain in a better bullet shoot much different at that range???

I can't imagine that you could possibly choose a bullet that would cause a miss at 50 yards......not on a deer-sized target.

Maybe I'm wrong.....but I can't see that big a change at 50 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I would definitely not opt for the ballistic silvertips in the 223 for deer hunting. You want his first hit to be a good one don't you?---2MG

I would have him use the .357, The .223 i belive is way to small, there must be a reasson why a lot of states don't allow the use of varmint rounds, for deer sized animals.

Thanks for the feedback.....
Him and his sister both killed deer with their .357 last year from a ground blind. But this year, its either the hunting from a ladderstand or just good ol fasioned buck fever because they both missed this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Normally they do great on targets.

last years pics.....

Michaels 1st buck shot with .357. Only ran about 40 yards
MikesDeer056.jpg

Megans 1st buck....357 dropped in his tracks...
MegsDeer2005006.jpg

Katrina's 1st deer...muzzle loader. I lied. told her it didnt kick. She never said a word about the kick...just the smoke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
KatrinasFirstDeer005.jpg

I would not trust that bullet for deer. It would be much better to use a 55gr sp or the 64 gr sp. If you have access to Hornady ammo the 60gr TAP is a good one. My son got his first deer 150-lb buck at 75yds with my 16" AR when he was 11.

I'm with SteveM, you would be much better using a 64gr bullet in the .223 for deer. With a well placed shot the deer might run a bit, but not that far before he goes down. The silvertips just won't do it. Good luck to your kids.

If you use the .223 on deer ( or any .22 centerfire for that matter) use an appropriate bullet.... and the ballistic silver tip isnt one of them.

I have killed litteraly truck loads of deer on cull hunts for the Dept. of AG and we are required to use 22 centerfires to limit noise. I have had great success using bullets from Barnes X, nosler 60 gr parts,Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, and the 64 gr winchester PP. Both the nosler and Winchester can be had in factory loadings for the .223.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catal...FJlbWluZ3Rvbg==

Federal loads the Nosler 60 gr partition and is thier number P223Q.

If the 357 is acceptable for deer, the 223 can only be much better. The 223 has close to 3 times the muzzle energy of the 357, plus much flatter trajectory.

The 223 has half again as much muzzle energy as the 44 mag and I don't see people complaining that the 44 mag is too small for deer.

More and more states are making the 223 legal for deer because many years of experience has shown that it is a reliable deer killer. It may be even better than the larger calibers because flinch is reduced and people make better shots.

Jack

C'mon now Jack, you know better. Please tell me you are not one of those guys who equates muzzle energy to killing power. Tell me, if you were getting charged by a bear or boar, what would you rather have, a 44 mag or your trusty 223? The larger bore means alot, whether it spells out on paper or not---2MG

Never shot a deer with a .223 but I know many that have and they use the larger bullets.

I just wanted to congratulate you on pointing those kids in the right direction. Way to go man!

I agree that larger bore is better but with the right bullets energy is important.

A couple I have hnown for many years go hunting deer with her shooting a 223 and him shooting a 308. They die about the same.

Jack

I have shot quite a few deer with a .223 and a 22-250 45gr white box winchester bullets, all you have to do is neck shoot them, I have never had one take more than 3 steps and they usually go down there and then, or you miss...

Jack--I've no doubt in my mind the 223 will take deer. Would not use the said bullet though. Even with the right bullet in a 223, the 357 mag with a 180gr bullet still has twice the TKO value of the 223. The 44 mag with a 240gr has about 4 times as much---2MG

Back