223 40 gr Vmax /coyote

Jeepyjer

What do you guys think of the 223 40 gr v,ax for coyote hunting?How far should I be taking shot's at a standing coyote with it.

If your gun shoots them well, or very well, give it a try, and post an up-date!
I personally love the 52 grain Sierra's, wish I could afford a few thousand more!!
wink.gif

I kind of wonder about the wind to.I shot a dog at 200 plus with the wind in my face i had a good rest aimed for the shoulder and gut shot the animal.It didn't go anywhere but still I would rather hit where I aim.

I also reload to.I will give those nosler bt a try in the 50 gr.I just hope my point of aim does not change.

Those shoot well in my 527 but I've never shot a coyote with them.Maybe a little light but I think they'll get the job done if within 200yds.

I use the 40 Vmax for Coyotes with good results. However they are a little more frangible than the Nosler BT's. But either will do the job. Not sure what part of Cali you are in, so make sure its not the lead free zone. Good luck.

Careful with the speed...
I was using some in the 243 ( 45 gr) and had them up around 4000 fps and I found on a Fully haired up coyote they had a tendency to blow up on the out side of the coyote and not always kill them a second and some times a third shot would be needed... JUST saying. We shoot a LOT of Vmax but we slow them down a bit.

They work fine, I just dropped a coyote (DRT) this morning with a 35 gr Hornady NTX.

As soon as my camera finishes charging up I will post pictures and a quick write up.

......Stay tuned!

all of those coyotes hanging in my avatar picture were taken with Fiocci 40 v-max.

I've shot them near 300 yds... DRT... but on those windy days... I do go more for the 243 and heavier loads... haven't tried heavier bullets in my 223... but I guess I should...but it shoots so good now... might as well leave it alone... other than wind... 40 vmax's work well for me... the only body blow-outs I've had with it were those shot in the neck... other shots stayed in and blew up inside.... I love'em...

They were the first .20 cal bullet made, some just made a walnut size entrance hole crater, then stopped, I took the shoulder off one at 200, last time I used a v max. Then I found the 35 gr Berger was much better at going in, no crater holes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetman Careful with the speed...
I was using some in the 243 ( 45 gr) and had them up around 4000 fps and I found on a Fully haired up coyote they had a tendency to blow up on the out side of the coyote and not always kill them a second and some times a third shot would be needed... JUST saying. We shoot a LOT of Vmax but we slow them down a bit. I noticed that on my 243 using the 65gr vmax I am really pushing them and I had one exit a broad side shot.I never had them exit before tell now.Next time I reload I am going to bring it back down.

I have a Remy with 1 in 12 twist. 40 gr V-Max is the only bullet I shoot & hunt with. 10 confirmed kills, 175yards to 239 yards. Shooting Model 700 varmint, 223, Bell & carson stock, Nikon 4.5 x 16 Monarch Comes in at 11 lbs

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I use the 40 Vmax for Coyotes with good results. However they are a little more frangible than the Nosler BT's. But either will do the job. Not sure what part of Cali you are in, so make sure its not the lead free zone. Good luck.
I use lead every where that law is stupid I never have seen a condor.Are you really that ornery ?

I have actually kill a few with the 40 gr but was thinking on moving up to a 50 gr I had a mature coyote still go fifty yards with a well placed broiler room hit once.The others mostly drop with no exit.I use a tikka 1-8 twist with a leepy 3x9x40 I would like a 4x14 someday.

thanks for the feed back guys
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
I killed a 6 point buck at 300 yards with a neck shot with a 40 grain Vmax .223 bullet. Of course it’s definitely not a deer bullet, but if I did that I can’t imagine you’d have a problem with it on coyotes.

Not the Vmax but the 40gr NBT is my go-to bullet for pelt hunting out of my 22-204. I always think of the light Vmax as a colony varmint round and the NBT as a predator/fur harvesting bullet. The 58gr Vmax has been good to me in the 6x45 but the 75gr Vmax overly destructive in my 25.cals.

Back