.22 WMR - Adequate for coyotes?

Klebanoff

Is the .22 WMR an adequate coyote cartridge? I own a rifle so chambered, but have never taken it on a coyote hunt, because many people say you will get run offs with it. But others swear by the round and say they drop coyotes with it all the time. Who is right?

Keep the range short and hit them where it counts, with the 22 mag you don't have room for error. It's kind of like using a 410 for wild pheasants.

I use one in place of a can for populated areas, much cheaper and no stupid tax.

Oh, the only bullet I used is the 40gr JHP in Win. ammo.

Keep the range short and hit them where it counts, with the 22 mag you don't have room for error. It's kind of like using a 410 for wild pheasants.

Thanks. That's all I need to know to never try it. A .410 definitely isn't a pheasant gun. While I'm no PETA liberal, I do happen to think that even a coyote deserves a quick humane kill. Think I'll stick with centerfire cartridges.

When we lived in Tennessee the regulations were such that we HAD to hunt with rimfire cartridges. I have killed several coyotes with the 22WMR and it always took more than one shot to put them out. Never had one get away, but if you don't like spinners and rollers after they are hit I'd avoid it if possible.

Northern NV at the PM Convention & Hunt. It went about 10yrds and collapsed, I wrote about it in my write up of the convention. CZ 455 Varmint with Burris FourX 1.5-6x40 scope. Shot was just behind the caller and decoy.
1gYQvc.jpg

NY used to require rimfire or shorgun only at night. Thankfully that has changed. 22 WMR can and will kill a coyote. No question about that. It’s effectiveness has a lot to do with the ability and self control of the guy shooting it. Winchester 40gr JHP are what I used also. I would only use use a 22 Mag if better suited firearms weren’t an option. It is not the first choice of mine or anyone else I know.

Convention write up with story of coyote and rifle in above picture.

NY used to require rimfire or shorgun only at night. Thankfully that has changed. 22 WMR can and will kill a coyote. No question about that. It’s effectiveness has a lot to do with the ability and self control of the guy shooting it. Winchester 40gr JHP are what I used also. I would only use use a 22 Mag if better suited firearms weren’t an option. It is not the first choice of mine or anyone else I know.
I don’t doubt the .22 WMR is capable of killing coyotes. I’ve seen plenty of deer despatched with the lowly .22 LR. Hell, supposedly a record grizzly was dropped with the same thing. That said, from what you all are telling me here I’m even more convinced that the WMR Isn’t up to the job of consent humane coyote kills. So except for special circumstances, it shouldn’t be used for that purpose.

Something to think about. Years ago in Canada an Indian woman killed the then #1 Grizzly in the world with a 22rf using 22 long ammo. Put it down with one shot! Killing is not all that hard if you can endure the strain to wait for the shot your weapon can make and if you know where to shoot!

My 22 Hornet has just over twice the energy of a 22mag, and I limit my facing me-head-on shots to about 100yds, if they are broadside, I'll stretch to about 150-175yds.

The 22mag will work, with good shot placement and limits on the distance. If that's all I had, I'd use it.

Be prepared for runners and floppers.

And where did you see "Plenty of deer dispatched with the lowly 22LR" ... ?
All over the place. Here in Arkansas. In Illinois, in Virginia, in my home state of Maryland. The .22 LR is the most popular cartridge in the world. Surely it’s no surprise that it’s often used for killing the most popular big game animal in North America, legal or not?

Last edited:
All over the place. Here in Arkansas. In Illinois, in Virginia, in my home state of Maryland. The .22 LR is the most popular cartridge in the world. Surely it’s no surprise that used for killing the most popular big game animal in North America, legal or not?

Are any of these folks in jail or have their hunting privileges revoked that you saw use the gun on a deer? You did turn them in didn't you?

Are any of these folks in jail or have their hunting privileges revoked that you saw use the gun on a deer? You did turn them in didn't you?
While I'm not promoting shooting deer with a 22 LR. If that's all I had and didn't have money for meat at the store or couldn't get to town and needed protein , I'd do it in a heart beat. Hard times can happen.

No. I did not. While I disapprove of their actions, I am not a law enforcement officer and neither am a a snitch. If I know someone is raping a kid, breaking into houses or dealing dope at a school, sure. I’ll report it, but not for shooting deer with a .22.

I've had a .22mag for about 35 years. It has ridden passenger seat for many,many miles (Seldom leaves).
Don't know how many coyotes it's killed but I'll say truckloads!!.

Win 40 grain bullets.

It isn't the guy that needs to feed his family that is the problem, it's the guy with 20 deer hanging in the shed waiting for the semi to come round. Or collecting trophy antlers to sell.

Back