.22 nosler

I suppose factory ammo holds some appeal to some faction of the hunting world. Myself, I havent bought a box of ammo in years..many, many years.

Originally Posted By: ncyotecaller Yep but no reloading would have to be done. No dies, no powder, no brass, etc. Just open a factory box of ammo and go shoot/hunt!

There is that but factory ammunition offerings are going to be pretty slim day in day out. What do you do when it doesn't shoot well?

Greg

Originally Posted By: ncyotecallerIf it was a 24" I would be all over it! If it is 3,350 at 18" it should be 3,500 plus with a 24" barrel.

It is 3,500fps w a 24"

wlt16q.jpg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: ncyotecallerIf it was a 24" I would be all over it! If it is 3,350 at 18" it should be 3,500 plus with a 24" barrel.

Yep. Kinda like the 22X6.8 I've been shooting for a couple of years. (VBG)

Greg . Only problem is this is the same thing with identical case compactly and nosler isn't seeing safe pressures in excess of 3700 fps. I wonder how a company like nosler with their own ballistics lab and pressure testing equipment came to that conclusion
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: ncyotecallerIf it was a 24" I would be all over it! If it is 3,350 at 18" it should be 3,500 plus with a 24" barrel.

Greg . Only problem is this is the same thing with identical case compactly and nosler isn't seeing safe pressures in excess of 3700 fps. I wonder how a company like nosler with their own ballistics lab and pressure testing equipment came to that conclusion
tt2.gif

Gee Steve, maybe because the stuff I'm shooting is pressure tested and I really don't care what you think with your wannabe knowledge.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: ncyotecallerIf it was a 24" I would be all over it! If it is 3,350 at 18" it should be 3,500 plus with a 24" barrel.

tt2.gif

Gee Steve, maybe because the stuff I'm shooting is pressure tested and I really don't care what you think with your wannabe knowledge.

Greg

maybe you should get a job for nosler and tell them how to do it, just giving you crap its all good.
thumbup.gif

oh one thing sometimes pressure doesn't show up in certain situations, the real question is how many loading till lose primer pockets. If your getting 7 or so all should be well

Last edited:
Everything I shoot is shot for performance and case longevity. Ordering pressure test bolt gun barrels and investing time and money does not make learning and data gathering cheap at the scale we have done it.

Who knows what the front of the chamber looks like or what pressure they selected at maximum. The 6.8 SPC is a classic case of factory underloading as is a boat load of 223 stuff out there.

Greg

The $104, 18" barrels sold out fast at midwayusa yesterday, naturally they may have only had a few in stock as it was.

Originally Posted By: GGirlThe $104, 18" barrels sold out fast at midwayusa yesterday, naturally they may have only had a few in stock as it was.

If it had been standard profile I'd of got one

I'm really interested but trying to talk myself into waiting until closer to next fall to do anything. Gives it time for the bugs to be worked out. I have a lower with a great trigger, stock I love, cerakoted in a Kryptek pattern. I have a great shooting 22" 204 upper on it now. I'd love to build a 22" 22 Nosler upper to match and have my ideal set-up for the majority of my calling. Use the 204 in the tighter thicker spots where a cat might show up, use the 22 Nosler off the ridges in the grasslands where it's all coyotes. I could be very happy with that pairing. My 204 gets 3325fps from a 45gr Hornady so if I do it right and put identical scopes on them I could just shoot to 250yds and dial after that if needed. I like the idea.

To be fair my 204 with the heavier bullet and a 1 in 9 twist does everything I need it to, but who doesn't want something new? I love what my bolt 22-250 does to a coyote. If I could have those ballistics in a lighter, shorter rifle than an AR-10 and still have the quick follow up shots for multiple dogs I don't see what's not to like.

I do reload for the bolt guns, but don't really like getting away from something I can buy factory ammo for if needed. I am not into forming cases or any of that and being able to buy Nosler brass is a plus for me. I use Nosler brass in all my bolt rifles they make it for. I started weighing Hornady and Winchester brass and it sold me on the Nosler.

I suspect we will see some price increases once the first introduction wave finishes. I only know of one barrel maker that has proposed doing barrels. Give it some time and talk to Ritch. Who knows what he might scare up.

Greg

Originally Posted By: realhunter
Looks like they are holding back a bit on load data...

Carbon fiber & SS Barrels at PROOF research

22 Nosler Carbon Fiber Barrel

22 Nosler SS Barrel

Two bullet weights used in their factory loaded rounds is pretty generous up front. It'as not hard to crunch numbers to figure things out for now.

I think it will be a bit before there is a plethora of data out there from any powder companies. Hodgdon will jump in I would imagine and Accurate so it will be taken care of down the road. I bet a call to them might yield even good data right now before it is published.

Greg

One of the 18" Midway barrels from Midway was shot Saturday and measurements done yesterday.

Water capacity on a fired case was 36.5 grains of water compared to a fired standard 22X6.8 at 35.6

Using a Sincalir tool and a fired case distance to lands was:

Nosler 50 BT 2.363
Hornady VMAX 55 2.291
Nosler CC 77 2.330

No attempt was made to work up the load just some basic case forming. Rifle ran 100% and ejection was stout with lots of gas available even with the block turned down. Load was a mid load from the 22X6.8 and case swipes were evident. Shoulder movement from new brass to fired was 0.009 so perhaps that will decrease on the second firing.

The RCBS dies have a taper crimp on the seater so a Hornady will probably be used in the future. Looking at the volume and potential over one I have I would think that the best wildcat on this would be a 20 caliber. It will be quite over bore but shoot zip things along nicely. I'd have to compare it to my 20X6.8 but it does hold promise. I'm not sure necking it up will give us much over current variants.

Greg

Nosler factory 22 Nosler brass. 22X6.8 is a necked 6.8 so yes we use a 6.8 bolt. Regular 6.8 brass is too short to use in a Nosler chamber by about 0.100.

Greg

Back