22-250 too much at short range?

Update to my initial post. Shot placement IS everything. Got one this morning. 50 yards. Same ammo. This time in the lungs. Dropped instantly. Tiny entrance hole. No exit. When I skinned it there were fragments on the chest wall on the far side. Glad I had good advice and stuck with it.

If you do decide to try other ammo then I would suggest heavier bullets NOT LIGHTER!!!! The faster the bullet is the more it splashes. I like the the soft point bullets better than balistic tips too. I'm extremely happy now that I switched to 55 and 60 grain soft points!!!!

Originally Posted By: yotezapperThere are alot of posts like this on here. So my question is are you gonna carry a gun for evey range a stand offers. Most guys aren't gonna carry a shotgun for the 5-60yrd shots and a .223 for the 60-250yrd shots and a .243 for the 250-500 yrds shots. I guess I'm a believer of shooting a certain rifle or rifles enough to get really confident with it and then stick with it so we make good kills. +1

Originally Posted By: jackjackerUp until this past weekend, all my kills have been with .223 rounds, mostly 40g vmax. This weekend I shot a coyote at about 60 yards using hornady 22-250 varmint express in 50g vmax in my savage m10 predator (love that rifle). Had to shoot twice and it blew two 8 inch holes in the pelt, ruining it. Most of my shots are 60-70 yards. Should I try a different bullet or just give up completely on using 22-250 at this range.

So basically what your saying is, ONE time you shoot a dog with the 250 @ 60yds, had to make a follow up and it has some major pelt damage? I'm not assuming, but concluding your first shot, was not a well placed shot... NO matter what anyone tells you, here are the facts, every coyote is different, every single shot you take is different, though it may not seem so, IT IS... a 1/100 of an inch movement on your muzzle, varying from one kill to the other will have different consequences on round fragmentation... take your 22-250 and @ 60yds, try a cranial vault shot, no pelt damage, and no follow up, I've killed 85% of the dogs this year with the 250, and 95% were DRT, the other 5% were running, moving, or off hand. The 250 is my weapon of choice, for short ranges 0-400M.

Originally Posted By: coloradoultramagSkinney
What's your go to coyote load for the 22-250?I'm sure I am not the only one wondering.
Thanks Gabe

right now I'm using 50gr VMAX with 35.5 grains of Varget... it's been a hammer out to 400, like I said, the weapon shoots better than I, as long as I can do my part and make the shot placement I need. Whats great about the custom barrel is, with a 1:8, I can run whatever bullet I need.

Back