22-250 for deer

I go back and forth on the use of such cals for deer.While it's true shot placement and bullet design are crucial it still worries me.I have a 7x57 but should I try to emulate Karamojo Bell killing elephants with it (over 1000) as he did?I think not!

Originally Posted By: WildwvOriginally Posted By: thegreatbobbarkerMatch bullets work well with Varmits and wood chucks. Bad idea to use them on deer.

Can you explain to us why and how you have came to this conclusion? I have shot at least 40 whitetails with match bullets and most dropped on the spot but some did run 15 or 20 yrds.I like that a match bullet is a little harder and stays together longer while entering a deers boil room but then comes apart inside making a very impressive mess of the vitals. Read my previous post. If your "match" grade bullet is coming apart in a whitetail your hitting bone first, otherwise they would just zip right through, especially with a .224 bullet.

Originally Posted By: JDolezalOriginally Posted By: WildwvOriginally Posted By: thegreatbobbarkerMatch bullets work well with Varmits and wood chucks. Bad idea to use them on deer.

Can you explain to us why and how you have came to this conclusion? I have shot at least 40 whitetails with match bullets and most dropped on the spot but some did run 15 or 20 yrds.I like that a match bullet is a little harder and stays together longer while entering a deers boil room but then comes apart inside making a very impressive mess of the vitals. Read my previous post. If your "match" grade bullet is coming apart in a whitetail your hitting bone first, otherwise they would just zip right through, especially with a .224 bullet.

That's not true at all, I have used this bullet for 20 yrs.I have killed a lot of deer with it and have never had a pass through even when it did not hit bone. The lungs and heart look like jello when you open a deer up and all the energy from the bullet is absorbed into the animal. I am not trying to argue with you but the man has asked for first hand knowledge and that is what I am giving him.

Originally Posted By: Wildwv

That's not true at all, I have used this bullet for 20 yrs.I have killed a lot of deer with it and have never had a pass through even when it did not hit bone. The lungs and heart look like jello when you open a deer up and all the energy from the bullet is absorbed into the animal. I am not trying to argue with you but the man has asked for first hand knowledge and that is what I am giving him.
Well then sorry about that, guess I was wrong. It's just that generally match grade bullets are not designed for rapid or controlled expansion. If they been working for Wildwv try em out. I would still personally go with the 60gr Nosler Partion.

I've used the 223/223ai and 22-250 on michigan whitetails with much success. Personally I wouldn't shoot one with the 52smk, I shot them for years on woodchucks and had some inconsistent results over time. I have had good luck with the 75amax in both the 223ai and the 22-250. Though most of my. 224" deer kills have been with TSX's and they flatten deer.

Originally Posted By: brdeanoI've used the 223/223ai and 22-250 on michigan whitetails with much success. Personally I wouldn't shoot one with the 52smk, I shot them for years on woodchucks and had some inconsistent results over time. I have had good luck with the 75amax in both the 223ai and the 22-250. Though most of my. 224" deer kills have been with TSX's and they flatten deer. Did you get much expansion out of the 52gr. SMK? Or was it very incosistent? Originally Posted By: Wildwv

That's not true at all, I have used this bullet for 20 yrs.I have killed a lot of deer with it and have never had a pass through even when it did not hit bone. The lungs and heart look like jello when you open a deer up and all the energy from the bullet is absorbed into the animal. I am not trying to argue with you but the man has asked for first hand knowledge and that is what I am giving him. It's hard for me to imagine that being a match grade bullet not designed for controlled expansion Will not pass through when not hitting bone. In 2008 I shot a 135lb 4pt in the U.P. through the neck with my .204 at 175yds, shooting a Hornady 45gr. Spire point. It went clean through and thats more solid muscle to pass through than a right behind the shoulder shot.(not hitting bone) And the bullet I was shooting is designed for rapid expansion. Also out of your 22-250 If your sending out of the barrel just as fast as you can Your velocities should be just a 150-300fps faster than mine which is another reason I find it extremely hard to beleive you don't have any pass through. .

Just wondering why you would risk wounding a deer with a caliber that small. To me a 243 would be the smallest choice for deer. Just saying.

Originally Posted By: Mark2Just wondering why you would risk wounding a deer with a caliber that small. To me a 243 would be the smallest choice for deer. Just saying. I personally used my .204 because I had just sold my .270(needed money and didn't like the action) and I knew a well placed round with my handloads would have no problem killing a deer.

they're proven to be very effective with well placed shots. there are limitations. you won't get that little bullet to reliably break through a heavy shoulder on a bigger buck, for example. but if you're disciplined & willing to pass on some shots, holding out for perfect ones, they'll do the job.

I tend to not want to be that restricted on shot choice, so I carry larger caliber rifles. but if you understand what you're working with & what it won't do, you can be quite successful with it.

Originally Posted By: DirtpoodleI am going to try some 52 grain Sierra HPBT Match for deer, I have heard that they work very well when the velocity is high. I have never shot a deer with one, if anyone has first hand knowledge, any info and loads would be apreciated.
Straight from Sierra
grin.gif

Can I use a MatchKing bullet for deer hunting? They shoot just great in my rifle, so they should be just super for hunting use, right?

No, it's not recommended. The MatchKing bullets are designed for pinpoint accuracy; with no consideration given to what might happen after impact. If the bullet has arrived on target accurately, its job is done at that point. Hunting bullets must perform in a certain manner after impact. Penetrating ability, expansion characteristics, and even profile must be considered when designing a hunting bullet. Use MatchKings for matches, and game bullets for hunting.

Originally Posted By: JDolezalOriginally Posted By: brdeanoI've used the 223/223ai and 22-250 on michigan whitetails with much success. Personally I wouldn't shoot one with the 52smk, I shot them for years on woodchucks and had some inconsistent results over time. I have had good luck with the 75amax in both the 223ai and the 22-250. Though most of my. 224" deer kills have been with TSX's and they flatten deer. Did you get much expansion out of the 52gr. SMK? Or was it very incosistent? Originally Posted By: Wildwv

That's not true at all, I have used this bullet for 20 yrs.I have killed a lot of deer with it and have never had a pass through even when it did not hit bone. The lungs and heart look like jello when you open a deer up and all the energy from the bullet is absorbed into the animal. I am not trying to argue with you but the man has asked for first hand knowledge and that is what I am giving him. It's hard for me to imagine that being a match grade bullet not designed for controlled expansion Will not pass through when not hitting bone. In 2008 I shot a 135lb 4pt in the U.P. through the neck with my .204 at 175yds, shooting a Hornady 45gr. Spire point. It went clean through and thats more solid muscle to pass through than a right behind the shoulder shot.(not hitting bone) And the bullet I was shooting is designed for rapid expansion. Also out of your 22-250 If your sending out of the barrel just as fast as you can Your velocities should be just a 150-300fps faster than mine which is another reason I find it extremely hard to beleive you don't have any pass through. .

It may be hard to IMAGINE but on the internet that's what a lot of people do when they answer these threads. Most if not all of the naysayers have NEVER used the bullet in question on a deer. As far as Sierra not recommending the bullet in a hunting situation I would advise them to try it, they would surely learn something about their own product.Dirtpoodle I gave you my first hand knowledge on the 52 MKHP you can take or leave it but if you do try it you will not be disappointed. Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: Mark2Just wondering why you would risk wounding a deer with a caliber that small. To me a 243 would be the smallest choice for deer. Just saying.

Mark, not picking on you here but I'm curious.......what are you're experiences with using. 224's on whitetails?

Why does everyone have such a hard time understanding... If you poke a hole in somethings vitals ( with 150gr bullet, 100gr bullet, 40gr bullet, arrow, knife, sharp stick, rock, etc...) it dies. End of story. All the object needs to do is penetrate few+ inches on a braodside shot, it lets the air out of the ballon.

It can be done. I know a guy who has taken cow elk with one..of course he put a few quick shots in her. My issue is I don't want to have to plan on my inadequate tracking skills to find that muley (all I really hunt)after he covered a mile while bleeding out. Use it if that's what you've got. Use more if you can.

Originally Posted By: brdeanoOriginally Posted By: Mark2Just wondering why you would risk wounding a deer with a caliber that small. To me a 243 would be the smallest choice for deer. Just saying.

Mark, not picking on you here but I'm curious.......what are you're experiences with using. 224's on whitetails?

I have no experiences with using such a small caliber on large game. I never tried killing a animal with a round I felt was sub par

All I'm saying is why not use a better caliber for the game your hunting, we owe it to the game to kill it as quickly as we can. The margin of error is greatly increased when you use that caliber on a larger animal.

Originally Posted By: Mark2All I'm saying is why not use a better caliber for the game your hunting, we owe it to the game to kill it as quickly as we can. The margin of error is greatly increased when you use that caliber on a larger animal. I understand what your saying, and don't blame you at all for thinking that way. I plan on buying another .270 before this coming deer season, just because of the limitations of the smaller bullets. One thing about the little bullets though Is the damage they do being so small(I'm refering to my .45gr bullets out of a .204ruger) I don't think I would of had the same results with my .270 shooting 130gr CT silvertips. I shot him in the neck and I believe if i would of done that with the .270 there would of been very little expansion and he wouldn't of died as quickly. Where with the little round it made a 20 caliber hole going in and I could of stuck both my thumbs in the exit. He ran about 30yds and was completely bled out. Little bullets are kinda neat.
thumbup.gif
at the same time I don't reccomend it and will probably be going back to a .270 bolt gun or 7mm-08 AR.

Back