21 coyotes in a week. Confessions of a coyote hunter. Final chapter

Originally Posted By: mikegrangerTim,

Bubba had to stay home on this trip and Dash is no longer with us. I've discovered over the years that dogs intimidate the young dispersing coyotes and as soon as they see a dog they come no closer or immediately turn and leave. We're going on another excursion tomorrow and he gets to come along this time. He's excited.
w00t.gif

I thought that was probably the case. Even a decoy can send a submissive coyote packing.
glare.gif
Loving the story. Keep it up.

I tried the barbed wire trick but he was so far in that the wire would bunch up before getting to him. After that I looked for a small boy to run in and grab it, but none were to be found.
sneaky2.gif

Great storys! Great country. And I too am amazed the Swift didn't blow that fox all over the country side. ! Keep em coming please!

No doubt bemart02, I am a lucky man! Back to the story.

What a way to start the day, not only was it cold but ice fog had rolled in and visibility was less than 100 yards. I'd seen 3 coyotes the previous day but was unable to circle back to their location. My first stand was going to be where I saw them last. Hiding the truck is pretty simple on days like this. I walked 100 yards from the truck and set down the foxpro and began a relatively quiet calling sequence. A few minutes into the stand and I thought I saw something moving in the fog. Sure enough a coyote was sneaking in for the kill. A soft squeak got him to stop and #14 was down for the count. My hands were like ice cubes by the time I got him skinned. Some of you probably think I'm crazy for skinning them when it's so cold, but believe me, it does not get any easier the longer you wait!

I move about 1/2 mile and have a young female come in to check out all the commotion and #15 dies within 75 yards of a skinning post. These young ones are easy to skin and in less than 5 minutes from taking this picture, she's in the bag.

I'm on a roll. I go a couple of miles to another good looking spot and set the foxpro on a fence post. Posts make great calling platforms and I use them whenever possible.

I've been calling for over ten minutes and hear a coyote howl back at me. That's always a good sign. Sure enough, over the hill come three coyotes with a large male in the lead. He stops broadside at 150 yards, the Swift barks and he runs wounded over the hill. Hmmm, that wasn't what I expected. No time to ponder why as another coyote is broadside at 220 yards. I hold right on the rib cage, squeeze the trigger and watch this one run over the hill too. Now I know something is amiss!

I find # 16, piled up in 12 inches of snow and go check if there's blood at the second coyote. No blood but I find the bullet furrow in the snow beneath where the coyote was standing. I checked the shot placement on the male and I'd hit him low too.

The very next stand has a coyote circling away from me at 318 yards. I dial the CDS to 320 and watch the coyote crumple at the shot, but I'd hit it low too and now it's up trying to get away. Here's where Bubba really shines. They never get far when he's along on the hunt. I quickly dispatch coyote #17and know its time to shoot a target at 200 yards to see exactly where the bullet is hitting. By now it had warmed up to zero, darn right balmy. Imagine my surprise when the bullet hit 3.75 inches low at 200 yards. Now I remembered all the ballistics bouncing around in my head. Not only was there a 2000 feet elevation change, but approximately 60*F difference in temp from when I sighted the gun in. All of which adds up to 3.75 inch greater drop in trajectory. This might explain the last 3 misses, or that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I hated wasting time sighting in a rifle on such a fantastic day but what I hate even more is watching one run away after being missed. It was like the faucet was turned off for the remainder of the day but I did catch this guy sitting on a fence post. What is it and what does he have?

Didn't see another coyote until the last 10 minutes of light when a young female answers the call. I drop her at 150 yards, bullet hitting exactly where aimed, and # 18 is in the bag.

Wow that's good money. A couple hundred dollars a day about it seems if this years prices are similar. Thanks for sharing somewhat private info, I'm very curious to learn this hobby. I'm going to Wisconsin to visit for the holidays, and hope to bag me a few dogs. Hoping to pick up some knowledge. Thanks

Fabulous Friday

Another beautiful, cold morning. It was -17 and ice fog that didn't clear until 0930. By that time I had made three stands with nary a coyote to show for my efforts.

Hoar frost makes everything shine when the sun breaks through the fog.

Ever have a spot that you always call but for whatever reason you aren't very lucky there? My fourth stand was "that spot". One of the reasons I haven't had much luck is the lay of the land. It's gently sloping and the visibility isn't good. Coyotes in the past have come in and got down wind before I can get a shot off. A few minutes into the stand and here one comes. I have to crawl a ways in order to find an opening in the grass, the coyote sees me and the gigs up. He doesn't leave but I really would rather a 320 yard shot at a coyote be broadside. A couple of minutes go by and my patience is at its limit. By now I've convinced myself it's going to be an easy shot and I hold slightly right of dead center for the gentle breeze, squeeze, and watch the coyote run away. I'm scratching my head now because the gun was sighted in the day before. It was dead on! I'm thinking the shot through in my head when I realize my mistake. Remember the gentle breeze? Well, the day before the breeze was from right to left, this day it was left to right. I held on the right side as that was what I had been doing the day before. Am I the only one to make this mistake? I bet not. I now call this the "missing spot" as that seems to be my luck at this particular stand.

The next stand is a favorite of mine. It's a hill in a sea of grass and sage with great visibility. I've killed many coyotes at this spot. Several minutes into the stand I glass one coming from a distance. He's slow and deliberate on the approach and stops at a fence. Before crossing he looked up at the wires, then crawled under. By now I've ranged the sage brush and know the one he's standing next to is exactly 200 yards. The mighty Swift barks and # 19 is down. I'm calling this the "killing hill" from now on.

I've skinned a few coyotes at this cattle guard over the years.

The day remained sunny and beautiful but that was it for coyotes. I did see a swift fox sunning itself next to its den. I always enjoy seeing them and very seldom do you see one in the daylight. They are mostly nocturnal.

A beautiful day no matter that the coyotes weren't responding.

Saturday was going to be the last 1/2 day of the hunt as I had to travel to DC on Sunday for work. Does this look cold? Well it was. The radio was saying -20 and wind chill of -30!

Yikes, now I know I'm crazy. I was hunting near my buddies house and next to his cattle. When it's cold like this I've had the most luck focusing on livestock operations. Coyotes are smart and know anywhere there is cattle, will most likely be something to eat.

The first stand of the day was brutal! I can handle the cold but when it's -20, windy and no sun. Well, let's just say we're talking another league of bitter! Nothing came in and I couldn't get back to the warm truck fast enough. I drove through my buddies feed yard and set up just on the other side of his haystacks. A few minutes into the stand I was freezing and contemplating heading back to the truck when a young male comes running around the hill for a free lunch. He's down at the shot and #20 for the week is in the bag. I was ecstatic, 20 coyotes is pretty darn good in my book, but I had time for a couple more stands.

Number 20 has a fine northern supreme pelt. He'll fetch a good price.

Two stands later I've set up next to a well that was pumping water into a reservoir. Unfortunately I couldn't hide my truck but the spot looked so good I just had to give it a try. A few minutes into the stand I see one coming from a direction that was in full view of the truck. Just goes to show you, hard fast rules aren't always followed by coyotes. The Swift barked one more time and the inaugural hunt of 2014-15 coyote season was over. Twenty-one coyotes and a red fox were in the bags; ready for fleshing, stretching and drying.

What a way to end the first week of coyote hunting.

What did I learn on this hunt you ask? Well, a generator is a fantastic thing. How did I get along without one all these years? Coyotes responded much slower to the call than I normally see. Most were shot around the 13-15 minute mark. Only a couple responded in the 5-10 minute range. None came in sooner than 5 minutes. Finally, no matter how crazy your friends and family think you are, hunting in bitter cold is all about having the proper gear. I'm prepared for the cold and readily go out in it. Besides, there are no crowds when the weather channels are freaking out about the bitter arctic blast. I just smile and hit the remote to the FoxPro.

Some say happiness is a box of chocolates, for me it's "bags of coyotes"!
rolleyes.gif

Back