2 coyotes from last Friday night (sorry, no video)

wolverines

As the title states, no videos to share. I’ll get to that later.

I got to my first spot at 9:00 Friday night. There was a straight line track going down the middle of the road. Kinda thought I was too late. Got all of my gear out and headed towards my calling spot. Not too far in I heard some howls to the north. I picked up the pace to get to a low spot hoping I could stay undetected. I wasn’t running my scanner to conserve battery since I didn’t charge after my last night out, but halfway to my spot I thought I’d better take a look since there were no more howls. Sure enough, there was a coyote walking south maybe 100 or so yards from me. I scrambled to get my rifle set up and get the thermal on. Now it’s headed west away from me. I hit record and lip squeaked to try to get it to turn broadside. It stopped and just turned slightly but not much. I could see its head straight in line with its chest (if that makes sense) so I put the dot right on its face. Squeezed the trigger and my scope turned off on the shot. Grabbed my scanner and could see it was a bang flop.

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2859.jpeg

Ended up hitting it right where the dot was at 166 yards. Just a little 21# female.

Went to my next spot. I called 2 in here last year on my first time out there, but nothing since. Had a NNE wind so I could finally make a move to the north end of the property and set up a little different than I had been. Got the caller going and about 10-12 minutes into the set I saw a coyote straight east. It stood for a bit listening and then headed north. At that point I lost sight of it until it popped back out heading straight south of my call. Hit record, got on it, and took the shot when it stopped. Again, my scope shut off on the shot. Got on the scanner and had another bang flop.

IMG_2863.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

This was a nice 36# male down at 149 yards.

Went to a 3rd spot but nothing there. Went home. Would’ve been some great video but lost when the shots broke. I need to put my internal cr123s in to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately, it took this experience to make that idea dawn on me. I am using an external battery pack (TRB) with a magnet USB c connection. Must've got jarred just enough to lose connection on the shot. Hasn't been much of an issue prior to this.

***after thought, I just want to give a shout out to Dark Night Outdoors. I realized Monday that I lost the eye piece to my Super Yoter. Found one on DNO website and ordered. Didn't pay for the expedited shipping. They got it to me on Wednesday!! Not sure if they're on this forum and/or if they're sponsors here, but that service was nothing short of impressive.

Last edited:
Nice! I got rid of the magnetic usb Cable as well, had issues similar to yours more times than I can count. Finally had enough and switched out to a 90 degree usb and it is much better. On a bolt action my hand would constantly hit the magnetic usb connection and kill my scope.

That's some hard holding, especially when distracted by fact you might lose your scope at any moment. (y)

Nice. What is your bullet drop at those yards? I've been doing the same, putting the crosshair on their head expecting to hit in the chest, but its been hitting right where i aim. Could be due to a lot of reasons but i wonder if im pulling the shot up

I have not tested bullet drop outside of putting my info in a ballistic calculator app. I’ve caught myself pulling left before, but not up. Another reason I like getting the kills on video.

I have not tested bullet drop outside of putting my info in a ballistic calculator app. I’ve caught myself pulling left before, but not up. Another reason I like getting the kills on video.

True about the recording. Watching my shots on video is interesting... especially running shots on fast moving coyotes LOL

i have heard the new super yoter r has a stronger magnetic usb cable connecter does anybody know if they would work on the older super yoters?

I am using an external battery pack (TRB) with a magnet USB c connection. Must've got jarred just enough to lose connection on the shot.
These magnetic connectors have a nice lip around the connection and have been very secure for me.

MoKo 140W USB C Magnetic Adapter 2 Pack, Magnetic Breakaway USB-C Right Angle Adapter 24 Pin with PD Fast Charge 40Gbps 8K Video for Thunderbolt 3/4,MacBook Pro/Air/ROG Ally/Steam Deck/PS5 PSVR2, Flat​

on Amazon it would not allow me to post a link

Back