.17 Remington Bullet Selection

I am shooting the 27gr Kindlers in my 17Rem and they are accurate but I have only shot one coyote so far so the verdict is not in on performance but they are great for blowing up crows.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have been loading everything with Varget so far but got some BL-C and am going to try some VV N-135 also. I ordered some 20 gr v-max and will get my hands on some 25 berger match bullets also and try them. I'll let you know how it all comes out when I get it shooting good. I had the barrel put on by a good gunsmith and he checked bedding, etc and said it is all good. I don't need bench rest accuracy but would love for it to shoot .6s or .7s. If anyone can use these 30 gr gold bullets, let me know and I'll send them to you. They are not going to do me much good and I've probably got 1/2 a box left.

Quote:
DAA, you and I have discussed the 27 grain Kindler Gold as great match for a .17 Remington. Do you still like the Bergers better? The 27 Golds should still work in a 1/10 twist shouldn't they?

Tough call there, between the Gold's and the Berger Match. All I have been using in my .17P have been the 30 Gold's and I'm just very pleased with them. They ARE a tad rougher on fur, once in awhile, than the 25 Berger in a .17 Rem. tends to be. But they also are more forgiving/better killers when it comes to poor angles or marginal hits.

The 27's should work in your 10 twist, yes.

I think I'd be inclined to work up a load with both and start out with whichever one seems most accurate. But, if I just had some of the 27's on hand and didn't feel like buying more bullets just to see, I wouldn't worry about just going forth with the Gold's, either - they are a proven coyote killer. And really, I can't say that after awhile of using both out of a .17 Rem., that I wouldn't end up switching over from the time proven Berger Match - might, might not, just can't say. Those Gold's are good bullets.

- DAA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Too bad you can't get Starke bullets anymore ! I usually use Berger or Nagle 25 grain bullets in my 17 Remington's now . I sure do miss those Starke's though !

I have not used the Nagle's, but I know that Mr. Nagle bought and is using Clint Starke's old .17 dies. I believe he is using Clint's cores and the same jackets too. Which "should" make the Nagle's pretty much identical to the old Starke's. But, like I said, I have not actually used the Nagle's, so...

Clint gave me a lifetime supply of his 25 gr. bullets just before he anounced that he was closing up shop, so I'll never run out of them, even using them on prairie dogs. But, for coyotes, out of the .17 Rem., I'd still buy the Berger Match 25's rather than use the Starke's I've got. My Son sure uses a lot of those old Starke's out of my Mach IV on prairie dogs and jack rabbits though!

- DAA

You are a lucky man ! If I could get a lifetime supply of Starke's , I wouldn't shoot anything else . I wish I could get more 20 and 25 grain bullets from Starke !

I have some of the Nagle Bullets in 20 and 25 grain . They are not exactly like the Starke bullets that I have . They didn't shoot the same as the Starke's in my rifles either . The Nagle bullet are not bad , I'm not trying to imply that at all . Just that they are not exactly like the Starke bullets .

Quote:
DAA,
Did you try hunting with the 25gr Bergers with your 17P or have you just stuck with the 30's?

Never shot anything but the 30 Gold's in the .17P. That cartridge was literally designed around that bullet and I've never had any reason to try anything else in it. And with as much capacity as it has, even if it wasn't the Gold, I'd be using another 30 gr. in it. The .17P has a good bit more giddy up and go than the .17 Rem.

- DAA

Yes, I've used Hornady 25gr hp on coyotes. I had six coyotes drop in their tracks and two run off only because of the hit location. One I hit in the shoulder bone quartering toward me, and the other has running in towards me and by the time I got the crosshairs on his neck it about 12 yds away. It saw me and by the time I pulled the trigger he had spun around and was heading away so the shot went in far back in front the hindquarters angling forward. That coyote made it 150yds and was still alive many hours later. I did recover him and he was a big one, over 40 lbs. I am now using 30 gr Golds and 25 gr Berger match. With the 17 shot placement is everything. Hit them in vitals without having to through the shoulder and they are DRT !!! You do need a 1-9 twist barrel for the 30gr Golds.

I know they don't have the same sex appeal as the Bergers, Nagles, etc, but the Hornady 25 grain hollow point is the only .17 I shoot or load. It shoots consistent 3/4" groups at 100 yards in my .17 Remington. If I load it hot, it disentigrates PD's, and if I load it slow it is really easy on fur, even when I get an exit (see photos above).

It puts coyotes down like one of Zeus' lightening bolts and since I've slowed them down I've never lost a $1 on fox, coyote, or bobcat from a fur buyer because of pelt damage.

Here's one shot head on with those loads at 80 yards that never twitched. I couldn't even find the hole until I skinned him.
23339Coyote_Jan_7_2007-3.jpg

Yeah, I guess I should of went back and re-read the post before I asked that question.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

That's a cool pic though Nick.

25g Berger match is a winner. They also copper foul MUCH less than the Hornady 25g hP.

I would not use the 20g V max on yotes, too explosive.

Back