17 hmr?

Originally Posted By: viperMtngroan, how did the can do with the sound? Was it a .22 rimfire can or a centerfire can?

It's a .223 auto can, and it is a lot quieter than a 22 lr, no ear plugs! I haven't been very far from it but he said what sound it makes doesn't carry far. I am thinking about buying the can first and then threading my .223's and my 22lr, and then a 17hmr.

Savage 93, hands down, deadly accurate.

1299781032.jpg

My Cabela's Exclusive Savage 93

t/c223encore.

Seriously the cz 452 is probably your best bet for a quality gun out of the box. They make a 16" that is threaded for a can if that is what you want.

A sako quad if you can find one is even better!

The savage would be my next choice. I'm kind of fond of the laminant monte carlo one myself. I think it is 93BVSS

I'm keeping my eye out for the right used 17hmr. Never said I would need one but it seems like it might be just right for jacks and taking the heads off of cottons with the gamepoint loads.Would be great on PD's too.

22mag is just as good or better IF you can find and accurate setup.

I've got a Marlin 917V. 3 years old +-. It hated 17gr ammo at first, but shoots it very well now. 20gr has always shot better. I have no issue w/ the trigger, but I shoot mostly military 2 stage triggers. Really great rifle! I was owed a favor from a local shop. got it at cost. I have a Bushnell Trophy 4-14x40mmAO on her. Great for the ranges I shoot at small targets. This is a pic w/ the 1st scope I had on her, a bit much.. 6-24x40mmAO.
IM000295.jpg

Last edited:
I have the CZ 452 with the Brooks trigger job and love it but I'm looking seriously at the new CZ 455 switch barrel with the .17 HMR and a .22 LR barrel that can be switched out in just a few minutes. A buddy bought one several months ago and he couldn't be happier.

I have a Ruger 77/17 heavy barrel grey laminate stock. I love this gun. Have shot the savage and the marlin as well. They all shoot well but in my opinion the Ruger feels much higher quality. The action feels much more solid, and the rifle over all has the feel of a center fire more than that of your average rim fire.

Ive shot the owned the Savage and Marlin magnums and they are nice rifles, but the Ruger is ten times the gun they are! SJ72, I have the same rifle that you have only in 22 Magnum. My HMR is the Ruger blue walnut got it back in 02 and its been a great rifle!

I've got one the dreaded Remington 597 semi-autos...you know, the one that's been recalled because of out of battery 'kabooms'. lol

I still shoot it anyway, and I enjoy the caliber very much. VERY fun gun to shoot and is wonderfully accurate, even with the crappy stock trigger. I actually killed 2 coyotes with it in January. Don't hate on me. lol

Originally Posted By: NdIndyIf you can't shoot teeny tiny groups with an hmr, you must have a stock-barreled Ruger.

Fixed

Originally Posted By: 64kodiakI've got one the dreaded Remington 597 semi-autos...you know, the one that's been recalled because of out of battery 'kabooms'. lol

I still shoot it anyway, and I enjoy the caliber very much. VERY fun gun to shoot and is wonderfully accurate, even with the crappy stock trigger. I actually killed 2 coyotes with it in January. Don't hate on me. lol

None of us here need to *hate on you*. You seem to hate yourself. There is a damm good reason Remington recalled those rifles. Be sure and take pictures of your face, hands, etc as they look now. Some day you may want to look back at them to see how you looked *before the kaboom*. That is if your eyes are still working properly.

I truly, truly hope we never read about you having an accident with that loved Rem 597 in 17hmr. But if ya play with fire long enough..............

I've had 8 or 9 .17 hummers over the years and for the $ the Scavage is hard to beat of accuracy. The Ruger's were the hardest to get to shoot but were defiantly the best built. The Browning T-bolts are the best in my opinion(accept for that bad-[beeep] Cooper on here). If you ever have problems with your .17 not shooting good groups, set down with a digital scale and a box of the ammo your shooting and you'll probably see why it isn't shooting. Separate and shoot again and your results will be 100% better.

Doggin, there are a few of us on Rimfirecentral still shooting them. The out of battery incidents do/did occur, but nobody has been seriously injured by any of them, at least to my knowledge. Mostly, the clip gets blown out the bottom and gets wrecked. Bulged and dome spent cases are common in the guns that blew. My cases are perfect.

I'm sure I'll eventually get around to swapping out the barrel to .22 mag, which Remington is doing for free now. They are also offering a swap for one of the new Marlin bolt guns which is what my brother decided to do with his.

It's too bad, but it seems that the .17 HMR is probably just not suited for any semi-auto, which in my opinion is the perfect action for the caliber.

Last edited:
Back