10,mm 1911

Quote:
Hey thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
That being said can you feasably fire 40 s&w in a 10mm chamber ?

The 10MM headspaces on the case mouth. If you chamber
a .40 S&W in it, the only thing holding the round against
the fireing pin strike is the extractor. Like the
previous guy said, you can do it but I wouldn't.

Quote:
Can't shoot a .40 cal out of a 10mm or you won't.

You certainly can because I've done it. The only difference is the case length. They don't feed reliably from the mag and it causes excesive crud to build up in the chamber so that you won't be able to chamber a 10mm after a few rounds but it can be done. It's not something I would do on a regular basis but it could save your life in a pinch.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to emphatically disagree is a gentlemanly fashion. This is a stunt that can hurt you. Don't ever try this. Let me expand upon previous comments:

The 10mm and the .40 both headspace on the case mouth. Sometimes, you may have enough tension on the extractor to hold the case against the slide and fire it. In that situation, you've gotten lucky.

Other times, it will drop into the 10mm chamber and disappear. You might think you had a misfire and do the tap-rack-bang drill. You might think you just had a failure to feed, so you rack the slide to feed another round...
and detonate the first round by striking the primer with the nose of the second.

A slam-fire with the slide unlocked is going to completely ruin your your day and your dental work.

I'm going to grab a soda and calm down from actually seeing somebody admit to intentionally doing such a thing.

I've also been thinking of a 10 mm, possibly the Glock 20.

I've read some reviews on it, and most are saying that the Glock 20's are suited for medium and large size hands, and that's the only thing I'm worrying about. I have large palms but short fingers so I'm not sure if I will fit the bill.

Are there any other, mid-priced 10mm autos out there, or any other calibers comparable to the 10 mm that I ought to consider givne the size of my hands?

Thanks!

Moosetrot

Quote:
and prefferably the springfields, wilson's or les baer's the kimbers are junk and colt's should only be used for paper weights.

I guess I should clean out my junk drawer. Anybody want to buy some Kimber junk cheap???

Nobody???

Maybe I'll just toss them out with the trash...lol

Quote:
and prefferably the springfields, wilson's or les baer's the kimbers are junk and colt's should only be used for paper weights.

Well... that's one opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The only 1911 style .40 that I'm aware of that can easily be converted to a 10mm is the Para-Ordnance P16/40 as originally, the weapon and magazine was designed for the 10mm and the cartridge will fit the magazine as long and it's length is kept to factory specs. I have one that has been converted and with the magazine extensions, gives me 18 rounds per mag. It only requires reaming out the chamber to the 10mm length and changing a couple of springs.

Most other configurations of the 1911 .40 S&W have problems with conversions due to slide face/extractor dimensions, magazine dimensions, or chamber wall thickness.

I have 5 10mms (2 Glocks and 3 1911s) and love the cartridge due to bullet speed and trajectory. With full power loads, it can take some getting used to. I got a nice doe with my Kimber last year.

If you really want info on the 10mm, go to a forum called "PistolSmiths.com" and browse the 10mm threads. There are a lot of 10mm advocates there and they have some really good experience and information.

Last edited:
You can also go to www.10mmtalk.com for some info. If I were going to use the 10mm for hunting, I would look around for a S&W model 610 with a 6in or longer barrel.

Using one for concealed carry is a different matter. I like the 1911 platform, and I carry a Delta Elite that has been worked over by Ted Yost.

You can also find Kimbers, Dan Wessons, and Glocks that chamber the round.

Here is my daily carry,

100_1051.jpg

bob

Thanks for the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I don't think that I would carry this as a self defence piece
My purpose is to target shoot and if the occasion arises to smack a deer with it
but that is not it primary intent
I thought seriosly about the 45acp but the cartridge seems to be lacking for the parameters I have set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
My purpose is to target shoot and if the occasion arises to smack a deer with it
I thought seriosly about the 45acp but the cartridge seems to be lacking for the parameters I have set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

How is the .45ACP lacking? The .45ACP has been a premier target round for a very, very, long time. The .10mm is not normally used for such purposes, nor gained a reputation as a match/target caliber in competitions. I would lay odds on the .45 over the .10mm to deliver target/match grade accuracy, if for no other reason than the long history and developement of both equipment and loads suited for that purpose. You state that shooting a deer would not be a primary purpose, so the .45 can't be lacking too much there either. Inside 50 yards with a good stiff +P type load the old warhorse .45 will do the deed on a deer if you're up to the task of accurately placing the bullet where it'll do the most damage.

I was under the assumption from the posts that I have read that the 45acp was lacking in power to handle deer
If I am incorrect in that assumption then I agree on the 45 cal... but I have never heard anyone stick up for the 45 for that purpose(deer hunting) till now

Last edited:
Check out Doubletap Ammunition's website: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

Doubletap is noted for FULL POWER ammo working in 10mm autos. I think it's probably the best 10mm ammo on the planet. I don't think you need it for personal protection - the FBI load or something like a Cor-Bon will do just fine. But for field carry, some of those DoubleTap loads are exceptional. Also, check out 10mmtalk. There's alot of people using 1911s, including Delta Elites, with a full discussion of problems and successes. As far as I know, Mike McNett, the founder of Doubletap, uses a Delta Elite extensively. Don't let rumors bug you - check it out for yourself. A 10mm is a great sidearm, and you DON'T need a revolver to do it.

OldTurtle -
You're right, the Para is the easiest to convert. Hunter Custom does this often. But he also gave me the specs for others he would covert (internal extractors, etc.) You CAN convert single stack 1911s. More than a few Kimber .40s have been converted, as one example.

The .40 and the 10mm rimsize is exactly the same, but you might need some extractor tuning, and you will probably want to use dedicated 10mm magazines from Colt or Chip McCormick.

I tried the Para, but it didn't sit quite right in my hand. I know people who love it, though, and love the capacity - just as you do. 10mm carriers need to stick together and get more quality pistols chambered for this caliber!

Quote:

like i and another have said find a smith&wesson 610 and shoot and kill deer with it.. i too have a delta elite i carry it only when i go to philadelphia to see my fiances parents,...

Back