Talley Lightweight One piece ring problem? - UPDATE

SDCoyoteCaller

I put some Talley Lightweight one piece scope rings on a Savage 110 and when I placed the scope in the rings it doesn't fit all the way flush down in the rings. I can see a small gap between the bottom of the scope and the rings. I have never had this happen before, so I assume it isn't suppose to be that way. How can I correct this problem?

It is probably a problem with the screw holes not being lined up correctly on the gun instead of with the rings itself. Will I need to lap the rings to get the scope to line up correctly? If so, Where can I get a ring lapping kit?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is probably a problem with the screw holes not being lined up correctly on the gun instead of with the rings itself.

Exactly. Can pretty much guarantee it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Midway or Sinclair for the kit........

I would suggest lapping the rings as you "should" do with all new rings. Just make sure to take your time when doing this or you will be buying new rings.

Midway USA

Here is the link to Midway for their 1" kit. They also have a 30mm kit if needed.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks for the help guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Any suggestions on the dos and don'ts for lapping the rings. This is new territory for me and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

Forgot to add, you'll need to seal the rings when done lapping, or they will rust. I just use clear nail polish now. Make sure it is fully dry before you mount the scope.

Also, mark the rings after lapping, so you know which go together and how........

The Talley's are aluminum so sealing should not be a problem. I think Talley does not recommend lapping the Lightweights. They are very helpful, I would suggest a phone call for guidance.

I recommend the Russ Haydon lapping kit, good stuff at an excellent price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

http://www.shooters-supply.com/web_specials.html

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapping.html

ringlappingtool.jpg

Quote:
The Talley's are aluminum so sealing should not be a problem. I think Talley does not recommend lapping the Lightweights. They are very helpful, I would suggest a phone call for guidance.

dogtired, what makes you think this? I am just curious, as I don't want to screw anything up. I emailed them last night and tried calling them today, but haven't got ahold of anyone yet. I have talked with them before and they are very helpful.

Anyone else know if you can or cannot lap Talley Lightweight rings? Thanks again.

Except for Burris Signatures, I lap all rings including the Talley lightweights on my T3, they were very close, didn't take much lapping at all to get well over 75% coverage. These were the two piece, aligned them to each other with a ring alignment tool before I fully tighten them. The one-piece shouldn't have that problem tho.

Quote:
Except for Burris Signatures, I lap all rings including the Talley lightweights on my T3, they were very close, didn't take much lapping at all to get well over 75% coverage. These were the two piece, aligned them to each other with a ring alignment tool before I fully tighten them. The one-piece shouldn't have that problem tho.

The Talley Lightweight One Piece means that the rings and base are one piece, not a one piece base.

Quote:
Quote:

The Talley Lightweight One Piece means that the rings and base are one piece, not a one piece base.

Correct. The one piece Talley's are where the base and ring are all one unit.

Talley makes one and two piece ringmounts, they call em one-piece since the base and ring is one piece. The single piece ringmount shouldn't have an alignment issue, the two piece could be misaligned due to mount hole misalignment or just tolerances in the ringmount holes, that's why it's imperative they're aligned with each other before you tighten the mounting screws fully.

http://www.talleyrings.com/lightweight.php

pic464a05ae8b5838.91564164.jpg

pic464a05a69ccc95.21354279.jpg

t3lite338wm3.jpg

wrongtarget,

I am not sure what your trying to get across. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Both types of mounts in the pictures are what Talley refers to as their Lightweight one piece scope mount. The one in the middle picture is for the Encore. That's the only ones that look like that otherwise they all come like the ones in the top and bottom pictures. The ones I have are like the ones in the top and bottom picture.

There isn't much adjusting the mounts when your screwing them onto the gun, so I am not sure what you mean by having them lined up before you tighten down the mounts. They are pretty much going to screw down according to the alignment of the holes on the gun. Please explain what you mean further because I am a little confused.

Those two ring one piece ringmounts aren't just for the Encore, there are several on their list that are the same style, Optima Elite and H&Rs to name a couple.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9443-1306-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx

With the screws installed but not tight, there was some movement of each mount on the Tikka, not a lot, but enough that if each ring mount is turned just slightly in opposite directions, they'd need quite a bit of lapping to allow maximum contact or the scope tube would be tweaked. Laying an alignment tool(or the lapping bar) in the two rings wth the screws installed just snug enough so the tool will align the ring bores perfectly when it's layed in the rings, then remove the tool and tighten the screws to 24 in/lbs. Little lapping is required then since they're aligned well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

wrongtarget,

Thanks for the correction about the rings. Also, thanks for clearing up what you meant. That makes perfect sense. I will give that a try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Thanks alot for the help.

Quote:
Quote:

dogtired, what makes you think this? I am just curious, as I don't want to screw anything up. I emailed them last night and tried calling them today, but haven't got ahold of anyone yet. I have talked with them before and they are very helpful.

Anyone else know if you can or cannot lap Talley Lightweight rings? Thanks again.

I was told this by another internet expert. Despite that advice I lightly lapped mine. You can eat up that aluminum pretty fast and then have to sand down the flats. I had a bad screw on a new set, called Talley and they had an entire set of screws in the mail asap. I thought that was pretty good customer service.

Well, I finally got around to calling Talley today and was amazed by their customer service. I had the oppourtunity to speak with Gary and he was awesome to deal with. I explained to him that my scope wasn't sitting flush in the bottom of the rings and asked if there were anything I could do, such as lapping the rings. He said I could do that, but instead of leaving it at that, he asked for my address and told me he would send out a new set right away. I even explained to him that I have had the rings for a year and had one scope mounted in them already without noticing the problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif That didn't matter to him. He still said he would send them out today.

In my book, this is customer service at its best. For one thing, the problem most likely isn't the rings but a misalignment in the screw holes on the gun. I was actually surprised he didn't bring this up.

I would reccommend Talley to anyone solely off of their great customer service, but they also make one heck of a product as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Back