TWRA Regs & Coyote Hunting

TNFarmer

I've skimmed the TWRA Regs for '04-'05 and consolidated the sections affecting coyote hunting with centerfires, which is my main interest. It's in a Word file that I'll be glad to email any interested PM Member, if requested.

Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition are prohibited during all deer, bear or boar seasons for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or boar. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, beaver, feral hogs, foxes and bobcats may be taken by big game hunters while hunting big game with any legal big game weapon or ammunition.
(TWRA)

Essentially, according to my reading of the pertinent regs, we cannot hunt coyotes with centerfire rifles during deer, bear, and boar seasons. This and a few of the other regs. cause me concern because I want to hunt coyotes during those seasons with my .223 Encore centerfire, including at night with the aid of a light and calls.

This well be interesting to see if any progress can be made for the 2005-2006 year, because that is the next opportunity to cause change. The Tennessee Legislature has cut the Wildlife Commission loose to adjust fees, etc. I have heard that we are looking at up to a 30% increase in license fees.

The only way TWRA can change a regulation is through the Commission. I know our Region IV TWRA folks have always listened and will present requested changes for the most part. However, it takes the 13 commission people (one is the governor by honorific) to approve the regulations as I understand it. A recent letter to our area's Commissioner from our varmint hunting group didn't even rate an answer evidently.

The Commission will be meeting to adjust, change and/or institute regulations through May. May is when it has to be finalized for publication in July. You have until then, or choke until next year.

I plan to hunt in Virginia more this year, because they trust their hunters to be honest, and they'll let you use a .22 centerfire for varmint/predator hunting through the year. Tennessee must think their natives just aren't trustworthy.

How's this for ya? We can now hunt foxes with centerfires, but that's the only one I got changed two years ago. My connections are even better now, so I'll broach this subject again this year.

Monday, March 03, 2003

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Hunting Regulations Committee

Dear Committee Members,

I am writing on behalf of several Tennessee sportsmen with similar concerns and interests. I respectfully ask that you review the following suggestions for change in current regulations regarding hunting for coyote, fox, and bobcat.

Currently, regulations prohibit the use of centerfire cartridges for hunting fox. While fox can be successfully taken with rimfire cartridges, the effective range is very limited and clean kills are often difficult at medium ranges. We ask that you consider a change in regulations to include the use of centerfire cartridges for the pursuit of fox.

Second, current regulations prohibit the use of larger than #4 shot for fox and bobcat, and prohibit the use of shot larger than BBB for coyotes. Again, although we acknowledge that these game animals can be taken with the currently approved shot sizes, range is severely limited and clean kills are commonly next to impossible at all but the closest ranges . As you know, fox and bobcat can often reach twenty pounds, with coyote being significantly larger. Most waterfowlers are hard pressed to make clean kills on geese at thirty yards with BBB shot. We ask that you consider a change in regulations to include the use of buckshot for the pursuit of coyotes, foxes, and bobcats.

Third, current regulations prohibit the possession of centerfire firearms and the possession of shot containing multiple pellets during muzzleloading and archery deer season. Additionally, current regulations prohibit the possession of a centerfire rifle smaller than 6mm or .243 during deer season when firearms are legal, as well as the possession of shot containing multiple pellets. The notion of removing caliber restrictions for deer has been debated time and again, and other states have included .22 centerfire cartridges as legal deer calibers. In fact, many of our neighboring states allow all centerfires for deer. I am not advocating the use of .22 centerfires for use on deer, but it certainly seems like there could be a provision to allow the pursuit of coyote, fox, and bobcat with these cartridges during deer season, especially muzzleloader and archery deer season. The same could be said for the use of buckshot for the pursuit of the above mentioned predators during deer season, even though this also opens up the debate of legalizing buckshot for deer, as many other states have. With current regulations, sportsmen in pursuit of these predators in the state of Tennessee, are excluded from a large portion of the prime hunting season, i.e., November through early January. While we have the option of using “deer legal” calibers, this is somewhat unrealistic because of the amount of damage to the fur often associated with the use of these calibers on “small game.” We ask that you consider incorporating such a provision that would allow predator hunters hunting “privileges” during deer season (especially archery and muzzleloaders) with .22 centerfires and buckshot loads, and incorporate the use of buckshot as legal throughout the respective coyote, fox, and bobcat seasons outside of deer season.

Fourth, Tennessee sportsmen are blessed with a multitude of Wildlife Management Areas. Many of these WMA’s have their own unique regulations for hunting. Since the TWRA manages these areas, we respectfully ask that the above mentioned requests, if approved, be incorporated in the hunting regulations pertaining to these lands.

In an effort to provide some comparative information, I contacted hunters and Wildlife Resources officials from several neighboring states with four questions: 1.) Is it legal to hunt fox with centerfire rifles in your state? 2.) Is buckshot legal for deer, coyote, fox, and bobcat? 3.) Are .22 centerfire rifles legal for deer? 4.) Are there any caliber restrictions in your state during deer season? My findings for these questions are:

Kentucky – Fox can be taken with centerfire rifles. Buckshot is allowed for coyote, fox, and bobcat, but not for deer. All centerfire rifles are legal for deer and there are no caliber restrictions during deer season.

Georgia – Fox cannot be taken with centerfires. Buckshot is legal for coyote, fox, bobcat, and deer. All centerfires are legal for deer. No caliber restrictions during deer season. The only legal rifle calibers for fox and bobcat are rimfires.

Alabama – Fox can be taken with centerfire rifles. Buckshot is legal for deer, coyote, fox, and bobcat. Deer can be taken with all centerfires. There are no caliber restrictions during deer season.

Arkansas – Fox, coyote, and bobcat can be taken with centerfires smaller than .30 caliber. T shot is the maximum shotgun load for coyote, fox, and bobcat. Buckshot is not legal for deer. All centerfires are legal during deer season.

Mississippi – Fox can be taken with centerfires. Buckshot is legal for deer, coyote, fox, and bobcat. Deer can be taken with any centerfire and there are no caliber restrictions during deer season.

Virginia – Fox can be taken with centerfires in most counties. Buckshot is legal for deer, coyote, fox, and bobcat. Legal deer calibers are any caliber .23 and larger.

North Carolina – Fox can be taken with centerfires. Buckshot is legal for deer, coyote, fox, and bobcat. Deer can be taken with all centerfires and there are no caliber restrictions during deer season.

In my search for this information, in the above mentioned states, there have been no detrimental effects to the game animals, nor has there been any increase in legal violations pertaining to the questions asked above. In lieu of this data, it appears that Tennessee is much more restrictive in its regulations concerning deer, coyote, fox, and bobcat. While we acknowledge that each state is unique, many TWRA officials have assured me that none of our requests, if granted, would jeopardize the populations of these animals or create unethical hunting scenarios. That being stated, we believe that these requests will create a set of more ethical hunting regulations that are reflective of today’s hunting landscape allowing our game to be taken more humanely in the spirit of fair chase, while at the same time, allow hunters to take advantage of prime hunting seasons. Lastly, it is most always sportsmen who devise the most fair and reasonable regulations pertaining to our beloved outdoor activities. As a whole, sportsmen are highly unlikely to violate laws regulating these activities. Deviants who would tread on the law have no regard for “fair chase ethics” and will violate any regulations in spite of Wildlife Resources efforts to thwart any such activities. They are not sportsmen.

Please take into consideration these proposed changes. I will be providing a petition in the near future with the signatures of many Tennessee Sportsmen who share the same desire to see the restrictive regulations recede concerning these requests. Please feel free to contact me at any time to discuss these requests or other matters. I look forward to seeing many of you in Nashville this May.

Sincerely,

Blake Phillipy

Blake I truely hope that letter does some good. I am just now getting into with Coyote hunting and hope to spend a good deal of time doing so with my son. Although during the deer season we can always squirrel hunt its still nice to be able to hunt other stuff also.

This post is helping me a good deal. It appears I was reading the law incorrectly.

I was going to buy me a Gen3 Night Vision Scope but it was illegal in TN to hunt at night so didn't make the purchase. Alot of cash for something you had to go to another state to use.

Yea not being able to hunt them at night really stinks because around here they are VERY active at night..
Kris

I am curious if we can use e-calls while coyote hunting? I thought I had read somewhere that we couldnt but now I cant seem to find it in the regs

Blake
The changes need to be made, Tennessee is way behind with thier management pratices in general. I hunted in S.Carolina for years and if the license cost goes up here I probably will go back to S.C. In S.C. you don't even check out a deer now just a call is all that is necessary and the deer herd keeps growing and is a major problem in a lot of the state.
Seems like all that Tennesse does is add to thier staff and dosen't put any of the increases back into the wildlife in general.
I have read that hunting is a dying sport and the average age of the hunter is 45yrs old. If this is true then the state needs to do all they can to promote hunting and protect thier jobs in the future. East Tenn. seems to be on the bottom of the heap when it comes to game management, plenty of game warden but short on game, with respect to the rest of the state. I am an old man with not that many more years left to hunt but I have a son and grand children that I would like to be able to AFFORD and enjoy the sport.
Bartrak

East Tn has always been on the short end of the stick when it comes to game mangement. The public dove fields have more wardens than doves. All of the money goes into middle and west tn and now they are going to raise license fees again. This is why i hunt in Va 99% of the time. Something needs to be changed before TN prices their selfs out of business.

Bartrak and bea175,

No sh!t, E. TN does get the short end of the stick. Not only that, we predator hunters are looked down upon by the TWRA. The people I spoke with two years ago are adamantly opposed to the idea of change. I explained that the issue of caliber restrictions is self limiting. I never could get a coherent answer of why buckshot is not legal for predators. Somehow, they rationalized it would encourage poaching??? I even proposed that my requested changes be implemented for deer season during Archery/Muzzleloader only, or even when there is no open deer season. Somehow, the rationale always comes back to minimizing poaching. It seems as if the next logical step (using TWRA logic) in stopping poachers is to ban hunting altogether. And let that be a lesson to them! OK, son of a bitch, now I'm worked up. I'll start this year's regulation changing campaign this week. This time, I'll make sure to have some more of my troops in the TWRA rally around me. The sad thing with my (our) above proposed changes is that they reflect ethical hunting. Lawmakers just don't seem to get it that laws are not the answer. Enforcement is. But in their bassackwards line of thinking, they assume that laws translate into ease of enforcement, hence, it's a good thing. Laws and regulations like these hold no meaning for deviants, and serve only as penalties for law abiding sportsmen.

Blake

Baldrog,
Blake is 100% correct,I can not find it mentioned in the game regulations but it is on the TWRA FAQ page.
As per TWRA:

Q: Is it legal to use an electronic call to hunt coyotes?
A: Yes. It is legal to use an electronic call (during daylight hours only) for all game species except for fox, wild turkey, and waterfowl.

Note: The use or possession of predator calls while night hunting of any species is prohibited.
Also, It is not only illegal to use but have in your possession an electronic call while hunting turkey.

Have you ever really looked at the subject matter of Tennessee Wildlife Magazine? Have you ever watched the TWRA WILDSIDE television show? I am convinced that the Commission and the transiants that have moved here want to turn Tennessee into one big petting zoo. Look who was appointed to handle conservation and environment. The folks in Brentwood would love to do away with the shooting sports as far as I can tell. Try to find out when a TWRC meeting is to be held - it ain't easy. The legislature, by cutting the TWRC loose has basically washed their hands of the issue, because the Right to Hunt issue scared the hell out of them. Maybe the boys in Unicoi county are right - maybe the upper counties ought to form our own state - Nashville thinks the state ends at the Cumberland anyhow.

Oh yeah, Gov. Bredesen, the sportsman's friend?, will get to appoint a few new folks to the commission before he leaves. Now who do you think Mrs. Bredesen and the Davidson county bunch will support?

TNFarmer, and Blake

Last year my brother and I came to Tennessee and hunted turkey at the Cheatham WMA. While calling turkey I had a bobcat come into one of my setups. It was the first bobcat I'd ever seen in the wild, as here in Indiana they are endangered. Prior to leaving the WMA I asked the biologist if they allowed bobcat or coyote hunts on the WMA during the winter months. The biologist mumbled something and changed the subject. After getting home I researched the Tennessee hunting regulations and figured out that there was little chance I could return to Cheatham in the winter to hunt bobcats. It looks like they have no hunts scheduled for them. It also looked like I could not use an e-caller for bobcats, even if I can find a WMA to hunt them on.
I was totally dumbfounded by Tennessee's game laws. I find them confusing and seemingly unfair to predator hunters. Can any of you guys tell me just where in Tennesse a nonresident can hunt bobcats with a good chance of success? All I could find was Natchez Trace. It looks like Cheatham WMA is a no go.

Good hunting y'all..coyote 6974

There are seasons for Bobcat and Fox that end in February. Coyote is year 'round. The TWRC season and regulation setting meeting is in May. If memory serves me correctly, residents can attend and speak during the first day. Seasons and regulations are set the second day. I am glad to hear someone from another state finds Tennessee's laws random at best. TWRA is now viewed as a non-resource to non-resident hunters. Anyone familiar with trickle down economics can connect the dots here, or simply ask an Arkansas resident how important out of state duck hunters are.

I have changed my tune a little from two years ago. I really don't care as much about the caliber restriction during deer season. I am not out calling because I don't want "Earl" to mistake me for a deer. I am still highly in favor of the legalization of buckshot for predators. And I am in favor of consistent WMA regulations to hopefully include the use of buckshot and centerfire rifles. At the very least, these pro-predator hunting positions could be implemented when deer season is closed, and perhaps allowed during muzzleloading and archery seasons. Any thoughts?

I feel your pain guys I just moved from nashville about 4 months ago.I went to the main office there and ask to talk to the one in charge.Everything I ask he would say I dont know look in the book.When I would show him in the book that somthing didnt make sense he would say I'll check into it.I gave him my # he didnt ask for it did he call hmmm still waiting 3years now.

I never seen a place were you couldnt hunt coyotes on private property with a 223 during deer are any season.Well TN you cant.I hunted WMAs around the area during small game season. (22mag)Killed several at cheatham could have killed more but guess what?After the deer season the next weekend they close off 90% of the roads to vehicles.

What is so nuts is in almost every sunday paper there would be a right up about coyote problems in brentwood.

Gentlemen,

I have a meeting scheduled with the Chief of Law Enforcement, TWRA, this Thursday at 11 am to discuss the status of the Wildlife Violator's Compact and the coyote hunting restrictions/logic. Your comments on this forum have been very informative, and I'll pass them along during my meeting.

Perhaps we should consider forming a loosely organized group to voice our concerns, albiet a very small group right now. Just a thought.

Also, I'm forwarding our concerns to the Tennessee Wildlife Federation (formerly Tennessee Conservation League) because they are pro-hunting; supportive of sound, common sense wildlife management; and have a good working relationship with TWRA and some members of the Commission. I've been a member since '72, and participated on a few of their panels. Check'm out at www.tnwf.org if you get a chance. The more of us who contact their Executive Director - Mike Butler - and your Regional Board Member (list is on the website) about these concerns, the better.

On Thursday, 01-13-05, I was fortunate in having a working lunch with TWRA's Chief of Law Enforcement and the Deputy Director. We discussed the reasons for restrictions on centerfires for coyote hunting during deer, bear, and boar seasons. Night hunting with predator calls and a light were also mentioned. It was a very good discussion, and both men were very courteous, forthright, and well-meaning.

The two reasons mentioned for centerfire prohibitions are: (1) ease of deer, bear, and boar caliber regulations enforcement and (2) potential loss of big game stamp revenues. While I certainly understand the rationale and genuine concern in these two areas, I don't see where changing these regulations would have an adverse impact on the game animals, nor appreciably diminish needed revenues.

In fact, I would be willing to purchase a predator stamp, if one were available, to help fund better enforcement of hunting regulations. Deal with poachers, so we aren't all punished for their lawlessness.

The night hunting with calls and lights presents problems with landowners - hunters trespassing, shooting from roads, and not knowing what's beyond their target. These are legitimate safety and public relations problems.

My feeling is these problems currently exist and there aren't enough officers to enforce the laws currently on the books. Ease of enforcement and potential revenue losses are not sound enough reasons for the restrictive regulations that deny predator hunters an opportunity to enjoy their sport year 'round. These kinds of regs should be based primarily on sound wildlife management principles, and neither the coyote nor the deer populations will be adversely affected by changing the centerfire or the night hunting regulations, IMHO.

Furthermore, I believe that having more coyote hunters in the field can actually help the Agency with their enforcement challenges. I would sure report deer poaching at night or trespassing on a landower who had given me permission to hunt his/her land. And predator hunters who violate should be punished appropriately so as to not paint all of us sportsman as criminals.

Bottom line is: it was a good meeting, the Agency has legitimate concerns, and I don't see any changes coming in the near future, unless the Commission makes the changes.

Thanks TnFarmer!The laws we have dont make any since.The yuppies in brentwood think no animal should be hunted or botherd,But when their cats and small dogs come up missing because of coyotes the think somthing should be done about it.But only in brentwood.I have been hunting for somthing or another for over 20 years,I dont even read the regulation books anymore because they dont make plain since.I know whats right and wrong,and whats beyond what I am shooting at,especially on my land.I just hunt coyotes the way I want to.This may not be rightBut its my land and heritage.

Back