TWRA Regs & Coyote Hunting

I am not surprised in the least. Your experience mirrors about everything I have for over a decade. This includes my days of doing grant work for TWRA on the fisheries side. I am convienced TWRA has a real fear of causing or having any friction with the bunny hugging crowd. TWRA has even came out officially against Rep. Mumpowers bill for the Right to Hunt and Fish. I was told by a TWRA official that the Farm Bureau wants to disband the organization (for reasons I don't know). I could go on, but I won't.

Your comment is correct. Politics against politics is the only recourse for action against a commission and organization that lies outside of the state legislation and does not fear the common citizen. Whether appointed or employed, I fear that the current commission and agency has been infiltrated with those who will put even more restrictions on all hunters for a possible hidden agenda. Or worse, those who are comfortable with apathy and at ease with what's is easy. What? Conspiracy Theory? Why not? They don't answer their mail, they don't publish TWRC meeting dates until just prior, and commissioners dodge phone calls, etc, etc. As for TWRA, I have never seen a group of people work so hard to put themselves out of a job by restricting the very source of their reason for being. If the NRA numbers are right and there are 300,000+ hunting/fishing licenses sold each year, what happens when the well runs dry.

You are right - it is time to call our representatives or find someone that will at least cause the TWRC to at least answer their mail and/or challenge these appointees, or find/elect some people that can. It is my opinion that these people think they work for the National Education Association instead of the citizens of THIS state of Tennessee.

It would be nice to see Nashville ran by Tennesseans again instead of outlanders. Bredesen is making me extremely angry, and no, I don't shoot trap. It is time to stop and think, organize, plan and execute, for next year there is an election in Tennessee. If memory serves my old brain housing group, there are as many licensed sportsmen as there are the number of required votes to be elected governor.

I'm pretty much covered up most of the time anymore with work, church, the kids stuff (piano,singing,scouts,etc), then just trying to keep up the honey-do list, but if you guys get a petition or something going let me know. I'd sign it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If anyone is interested, PM me your email address, and I will send you a copy of a letter from the Tri-Cities Varmint Hunters Association to Commissioner Baird in reference to small game regulations.

Executive Director Mike Butler, Tennessee Wildlife Federation, has asked me to draft a letter for their review and forwarding to the Commission and Agency regarding suggested changes to TWRA's regulations involving coyote hunting. If you have suggestions, please send to: tnfarmer1@yahoo.com or PM me on the forum.

My initial thought is to ask that centerfire rifles be permitted for coyote hunting during deer seasons. As a follow-on, several hunters have posed the possibility of changing the .24 cal. minimum requirement to any centerfire rifle for deer hunting. Allowing night hunting for coyotes is also a consideration.

It would be helpful for as many coyote hunters as possible to email Steve Horton at the Tennessee Wildlife Federation, asking for their support in this effort ( shorton@conservetn.org ). The more of us who go on the record, the better our chances in the long-run. Thanks....

Monty,

The commission meets tomorrow, 19 January in Nashville. 23-24 Feb in Chattanooga. Commissioners Magli and Cox have acknowledged receipt of the TCVHA letter, Commissioner Baird, the intended recepient, has not. It would be nice to see if someone could make sure the small game issues at least make the agenda for this year.

I am finished venting over this subject, which I was wrong to do so in a moment of emotion. I haven't been that angry since my son shot an arrow into my Bronco years back. We just need to go to work as sportsmen.

Mike

I think the issue at hand is to collectively agree on what the policies should be. We are all in agreement that TN and the TWRA have random policies set in place with very little sincere thought given to sportsmen and wildlife. Perhaps another thread should begin in such an effort. I'll start the ball rolling by saying my primary concerns are the legalization of buckshot outside of deer season, and statewide consistency among WMA's to include the use of buckshot and centerfire rifles outside of deer season. In my dealings with the TWRA and attempts to change policy, I believe it is best to steer away from modifications to deer season. There will undoubtedly be different issues that are near and dear to each of us, but we need to begin discussing it now so we can effectively develop a proposal for the Commission Meeting in May.

Blake

My biggest gripe is restricting the size of shot we can use in our shotguns and the caliber we can use for rifles.
I'd be more than willing to buy a predator or varmint stamp if that would be a way of seeking a happy medium with them. That way it would show that coyote hunting is exactly what I'm doing.

Regarding the previous "Right to Hunt and Fish" Bills that would create an Amendment to the Tennessee Constitution. One of the major concerns with such an Amendment was the distinct possibility that anti's could use the Amendment to actually shut down some seasons. By creating a "Right" to hunt and fish, the management of game animals could be taken from an Agency and made topics of public litigation. The anti's could tie up opening seasons in the courts, much like some seasons in other States. Furthermore, there were risks under some proposed Bills that TWRA would lose enforcement authority over fish and wildlife regs, which would not be favorable.

I understand Senator Jackson currently is working on a Bill for an Amendment that would avoid this major pitfall and ensure that wildlife management and enforcement authority would remain with the Commission and the Agency.

Originally posted by TNFarmer:
[qb]Executive Director Mike Butler, Tennessee Wildlife Federation, has asked me to draft a letter for their review and forwarding to the Commission and Agency regarding suggested changes to TWRA's regulations involving coyote hunting. If you have suggestions, please send to: tnfarmer1@yahoo.com or PM me on the forum.

My initial thought is to ask that centerfire rifles be permitted for coyote hunting during deer seasons. As a follow-on, several hunters have posed the possibility of changing the .24 cal. minimum requirement to any centerfire rifle for deer hunting. Allowing night hunting for coyotes is also a consideration.

It would be helpful for as many coyote hunters as possible to email Steve Horton at the Tennessee Wildlife Federation, asking for their support in this effort ( shorton@conservetn.org ). The more of us who go on the record, the better our chances in the long-run. Thanks....[/qb]

Blake that was a very good letter you wrote. The predator hunters in SC are up against the same wall as the Tennessee predator hunters, calibers to hunt with, no night hunting, and on certain management areas I can't even hunt with a centerfire on private land.

I have been wanting to take a stand and try to get some of these laws changed here too. I was wondering if you would mine me using your letter and doing a little tweaking to it, to use for this SC endeaver.

Or if you have any advise that you could give me. That would be appreciated too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif NEW Member & First Time Poster Here. I like you fellers already! I found this sight by chance and after reading the TWRA Regs & Coyote Hunting post, I was impressed. I thought I was the only one that lived in East Tn that thought this was. Now I see im not alone. Thanks for letting me be a part of the team. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Welcome Hogbuster. Always good to see Unicoi County represented. At least I know I won't be the only one eating sausage biscuits from Jerry's.

Hello Iron Mike
Thanks for the Bullets! Jerry gave them to me a week ago. I tried the 95gr without sucsess in my REM Mod 7 .260. BUT I found out during the same session that the scope went belly up, Go figure! Its a two month old SIMMONS! I put a NEW NIKON on it and it is back to normal. My youngest daughter killed a nice 120LB doe last weekend with it. I havn't tried the .224 V Max's yet.
E-Mail Me when you get a chance.
Rocky

Gentlemen,
A few years back, I could count on one hand the Tn members here. This thread just helps to show how the interest in predator hunting has grown in our state… welcome all!

As some here know, several years ago, a few of us approached TWRA concerning issues discussed in the posts above; larger shot sizes, using small bore centerfire for predators during all big game season, WMA small game regulations and night hunting. Thanks to Blake and others, the next year, several game regulations were added and/or updated (fox hunting, 17 rimfire, ect). All in all the regulations remained about the same for predator (coyote) hunters but changes were made, never the less. My point is, we may think the commissioners are not listening but it often takes time to make changes. In reality, I really can’t see every single proposal happening at once. I feel it would be better to concentrate on one or two items and work as a group.

Folks, the bottom line here is money! Like other states, Tennessee has a limited amount of funds allocated for maintaining wildlife habitat/conservation, hunting/fishing areas and enforcement of boating, fishing and game laws. Yes, as sportsmen we support funding for TWRA but big game hunting brings in more money than small game. We must understand, predator hunters are in the minority. Requiring only a small game license to predator hunt, we just don’t generate enough revenue to keep TWRA in the black. Most hunters of big game in Tennessee are required to purchase a small game tag in addition to any extra licenses (gun, archery, muzzleloader, ect.) or special permits. No wonder they try to keep big game hunters happy! Any changes made that could possibly cause problems in that area and/or endanger TWRA’s operating capital would only constitute an overall loss to TWRA, our wildlife and sportsmen in general. Sorry, but that's the way it is. One plus, we all know monies used to promote big game habitat also helps other game.
Last but not least, one of their biggest apprehensions concerning any changes to small game regulations was, and apparently still is, their ability to enforce anti-poaching laws. It takes lots of dollars and man hours to operate an agency like TWRA on a daily basis, surprisingly it also seems our TWRA officers like to be paid for doing their job.

I’m only a lowly coyote hunter, although TWRA may not be perfect, I feel they are doing a good job. I do wish they would consider our growing sport of predator hunting and make needed changes, I’m just glad we have what we have.

Originally posted by Plumbrich:
[qb]I never seen a place were you couldnt hunt coyotes on private property with a 223 during deer are any season.Well TN you cant.[/qb]
I was under the impression that you only had to carry a .243 or larger calibur if hunting on WMA land during deer season and that calibur wasn't a factor on private land during deer season if hunting predators!! I was told this by the TWRA, once upon a time, when trying to clarify some regs on calling with an e-caller. Am I wrong on this??

Yote-Buster,

The information you were given is wrong about caliber restrictions not applying to private property. As for WMA's, they vary, and some do not allow centerfire rifles. It's all over the board.

Blake

The caliber restriction is the same according to the written word - private property or not. If you read the LEGAL HUNTING EQUIPMENT AND METHODS (page 8) and ILLEGAL HUNTING EQUIPMENT AND METHODS (page 9) - it also applies to private property. I would not want to be out with a center-fire rifle -over .243 caliber- without the appropriate big game stamp in my pocket during season, either WMA or private property.

In additon to that, having selected sounds on your FoxPro will also get you hit in the head with a shovel by Smoky - for the use and possession of electronic calls for fox, turkey and waterfowl is prohibited (page 9).

If you have any doubts as to what you are doing in East Tennessee, call 1-800-332-0900 and talk to the enforcement manager in Morristown. Also, if you are on private property not your own, make sure that you permission to hunt slip includes and has the passage specifically that you can hunt small game (I specify coyote, groundhog and bobcat on mine) within 100 yards of ALL dwellings/buildings on the property or you will violate the Prohibited Acts section, paragraph 12. This becomes very important during the summer groundhog months.

Rocky, congrats to your little lady on her doe. You must be proud!

Iron Mike
E-mail me next time you are going to the range and ill bring you a couple packs of steak. She made a heck of a shot on the doe. It was 175 yards up hill measured with a range finder. I can't wait untill spring. She is dying to go groundhog hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mike,

You bring up a great point in that hunters who are samll game (predator/varmint)hunters only, are FORCED to buy a more expensive license just so they can legally pursue small game during deer season while at the same time being mandated to utilize calibers that are overkill for small game animals. OR..., we can purchase a small game license and be required to use rimfires and marginal shotgun loads just to avoid being in violation of these backwards laws.

Blake

Back