THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN VARMINT RIFLES

smsnyder

i have shot and owned many long range varmint rifles in my time. i currently have many custom long range rifles. i feel the two best rifles today for the PRICE are the savage BVSS and Remington XR100. I don't own a savage but they do shoot very well. The best kept secret gun is remington's XR100 with a thumbhole stock. Guys, this XR100 is a 40x rifle with a 40x trigger. a 40x rife from the custom shop costs from $1500.00 to $1800.00. You can buy this remington XR100 for about $800.00. This is also a single shot rifle. I recently bought one in 22-250 and rebarreled it in 243 caliber. the gun shoots one hole groups at 200 yards with an 8.5x25 leopold. i was amazied. Factory Hornaday ammo in 243 caliber 58 grain bullets.

Last edited:
I picked mine up from Gander Mountain on sale last month in 223. Topped it off with a Nikon 6.5x20 mil-dot. Love the stock fit,trigger and the action is very smooth! Waiting on my Forster dies. Can't wait to see how she shoots. Still got snow on the ground here. Who's barrel did you go with and is the thread the same as a 700 action? What did you do with your old barrel?

Well... I wasn't too happy with BOTH of my XR-100s.

Ordered one in .204 Ruger.

The firing pin hole was so large that even light loads cratered. The chamber had a gouge in the wall, making it hard to extract the fired case - and it was a shotgun, groups were all over the place.

Remington replaced the WHOLE RIFLE. That should have solved the problem... but the firing pin hole on the new one was worse.
So I sent the bolt out to have the pin hole bushed and re-drilled ($70).

The rifle has yet to shoot a group under 1".

I like the rifle, and I love the XR-100 action. but the barrels are the pits. It's sitting in the corner waiting for a new Pac-Nor 3 groove, but a new factory rifle should NOT need this kind of work (and money) to get it to shoot!

Hope I don't have the same problems Catshooter has had with the XR. We'll see soon enough. I don't expect one hole groups at 200 yds, but sub MOA would be great. Maybe my hopes are a little high for the XR?
DoBeGone, In the original post there was no mention of the Savage as being a "well kept secret". As I recall you had a Savage totaly restocked, rebarreled and the action redone in your latest DVD if I remember correctly.

guys , i rebarreled my xr100 with a 243 sheon barrel. that's all i did because remington does not offer the xr100 in 243 caliber. fzapp, if you don't get sub moa groubs rebarrel gun with a match grade barrel. about $350.00

Quote:
guys , i rebarreled my xr100 with a 243 sheon barrel. that's all i did because remington does not offer the xr100 in 243 caliber. fzapp, if you don't get sub moa groubs rebarrel gun with a match grade barrel. about $350.00

Why spend an extra 350 on a rebarreling a gun? I know you had just cause, but if I am buying a new gun, I should not have to rebarrel it right away to get it grouping well. I should be able to pull it out of the case and have it shoot < than an inche group off the bench, at very most a 1.5 inche group.

hmmmm....original cost, and if you don't get sub MOA groups, then add a 350 dollar rebarreling cost? That;s getting mighty close to a entry level custom rifle. OR...you can spend right at 1000 dollars for a Cooper rifle for semi-custom rifle that WILL shoot well under MOA, and have great looks too. (assuming you want a wood stock) Personally, I don;t think Remington has produced a consistantly quality built rifle since about 1992. I believe it was about that time that they went through a reorganization and quality went downhill from there. I've had quite a few 700's, and the PSS I bought in 1991 was the last one for me. Almost every single rifle that was purchased by friends after that time have had issues. Or maybe it was about that time that I started demanding more out of a rifle.

smsnyder,
How did the 22-250 barrel shoot? Any primer problems? I do like the stock and how smooth the action is on my xr. Next week I'll be load testing it and will post my findings good or bad.

when i purchased gun i did not even shoot the gun in 22-250 caliber. i wanted the rifle in 243 caliber. i have a 6.5 x284 custom rifle 12x42 nightforce scope, a remington 204 Lvsf in 204 with a a 8.5x25 leopold and an remington Xr100 in 243. all these rifles shot sub moa groups at 100 yards. the XR100 SHOOTS THE BEST OUT OF THE THREE. less than 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards. that is with factory hornaday ammo. 243 58 grain v max bullets. i find hornaday ammo is some of the best on the market.

I read this three times and still don't know what the "BEST KEPT SECRET IS". Is it the factory Remington rifle with the aftermarket barrel or the factory Savage that comes as no surprise to anyone in the game that it shoots extremely well ?

all i was saying is the remington XR100 is really a 40x rifle costing much less. it is a single shot, 40x trigger and will shot sub-moa groups. not bad for an $800.00 rifle.

Last edited:
Dude, gotta work on spelling and punctuation.

You may have a very valuable message for all of us, but we'll never know unless you can make it decipherable!

Quote:
less than 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards. that is with factory hornaday ammo

I hope you're competeting at your local benchrest competitions with groups like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif. The World Benchrest Shooting Federation's Record for 200 yards isn't even that good. You should look into competing.....or buy a better ruler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would have to agree with Doc, as World Champion has a lot of perks that go with it.

I have a couple of Savage BVSS 250 rifles that I use for PD's. They are out of the box except for the trigger job on the old one without the accu-trigger. Even with factory ammo (Hornady) they are two of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever shot. I have shot alot of them too! LOL!!

Quote:
Quote:
less than 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards. that is with factory hornaday ammo

Thanks Doc coyote,,,I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. Ya know ya really hate to call a guy on something but when they try to pull the whole sheep over your eyes instead of just the wool...that hurts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

"less than 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards"
what the other guys said
plus the -100 is not really a 40X either more like a cross between the old XP pistol/model 7/model 700 to come up with a new rifle...

my 6.5x 284 caliber yesterday shot a little over 1/4 inch 5 shot groups at 200 yards. handloaded with 142 grain SMK bullets. I use a 12x42 power night force scope, 2 ounce trigger, stole panda action. these groups are NOT hard to do with quality barrels, good actions and light triggers. I got lucky with the 243 XR100.

do you guys know what groups they NOW shoot at 1000 yards benchrest.? how about under 8 inches? I think the record is around 5 inches.

Back