THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN VARMINT RIFLES

do you guys know what groups they NOW shoot at 1000 yards benchrest.? how about under 8 inches? I think the record is around 5 inches. 1/4 to 1/2 is nothing at 200 yards.

the record for 1000yrd is just a shade over 5" it was shot in williamsport p.a. i was on the same relay as the guy who shot it he was the bench next to me. my 6.5-284 will do 1/4"groups at 200yrds all day. my son shoots 600yrd IBS with an xr100 in 308 win, and to get it to shoot we had to put a shilen barrel on it and all kinds of work the stock got thrown away and we put an H&S precision benchrest stock. and in delaware two weeks ago he shot a group of 2.806" 5 shot.

Quote:
1/4 to 1/2 is nothing at 200 yards.

Maybe not for a benchrest shooter, but most hunters will never shoot a group like that out of their factory guns, with any type of consistancy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe not for a benchrest shooter, but most hunters will never shoot a group like that out of their factory guns, with any type of consistancy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Exactly. I'm pretty confident that my .223 Savage Model 10FP can outshoot my abilities! When I get a 3/4" group at 100yards, I pretty confident that it would be a lot better, if I was better. Mind you I shoot with a bipod and a sandbag on under the butt of the stock. I could probably knock it down to 1/2" easy with a good rest. But I won't hold my breath on shooting under 1" groups out to 200. I am a wingshooter, that plays with rifles occasionally.

I am also a proud owner of a couple of Remington XR-100 Rifles!
I absolutely love them and, in fact, early this morning my XR-100 in 204 Ruger went along on a Varmint Safari with me and one of my main Varminting partners. The main quarry was Ground Squirrels but the 204 Ruger also accounted for 3 other species of Varmints besides the Gophers!
BOTH my XR-100 are EXCEPTIONALLY accurate and have been since the moment they came out of their cartons!
Let me relay to any interested persons the last three groups fired from both my XR-100's.
Keep in mind that all my Rifles, once a load has been decided upon, are no longer used to "pound paper" with! They are used for Hunting from then on almost exclusively. I hate to waste precious and accurate barrels on paper!
The results of the 5 shot groups at 100 yards from each Rifle to follow:
XR-100 in 204 Ruger = .322", .402" & .374"!
This Rifle is equipped with a Leupold 8.5x25 variable scope and is all factory stock!
XR-100 in 223 Rem. = .346", .326" & .121"!
This Rifle is equipped with a Leupold 8.5x25 variable scope and is all factory stock!
That .121" five shot group at 100 yards, by the way, is the smallest group I have ever shot with an all stock, factory (non-40X) Rifle!
The above groups were all shot with Varmint bullets!
And yes both of my Rifles do crater primers with all handloads and factory ammo shot so far. My inquiries into this condition led to my being convinced this is NOT a dangerous condition and I won't take any steps to work on this condition.
I have three friends now that own and shoot XR-100 Rifles and they all are quite happy with their performance.
I think the main attributes of this Rifle that I am so happy with are: #1 - the splendid accuracy and the ease of achieving same, #2 - fantastic trigger (which helps achieve #1) #3 - the wonderfully designed and finished thumbhole stock! The stock is an absolute join to shoot from the bench or in the field. Today I shot it from prone, from sitting, from a window bag, from a set of rabbit ear bags (off of my hood) and from a single sandbag on top a fence post! I simply CAN NOT find a position that this stock is not comfortable to shoot in!
I whole heartedly agree the XR-100 is a great bargain for the money (in todays dollars!).
In the past month alone I have shot Varmint Rifles from Kimber (I own 6 of these), CZ, Winchester, Ruger, Remington, Cooper, Marlin, Sako and several custom Rifles - I enjoyed shooting the XR-100 Rifle more than any of the others!
Trigger, accuracy and fit of stock - I love the XR-100!
I also had along today a brand new (less than a month old) Remington offering - it is a Remington 700 VSF in caliber 17 Remington Fireball!
Now this Rifle is also a sweetheart but the stock, though not UN-comfortable, is not as "sweet" and easy to settle into as the XR-100's stock is!
By the way this new VSF in 17 Remington Fireball shoots the Remington factory ammunition PRETTY WELL! I have made 3 groups with it so far and these groups measured .533", .586" and .579"! I normally ALWAYS shoot 5 shot groups but the first two groups I cited were 4 shot groups. Due to the fact the ammunition is costing me $1.30 PER shot, and is hard to come by! The third group was a five shot group at 100 yards and was shot on a more recent day than the first two groups.
Again, an all stock factory Rifle shooting very well indeed - in my opinion! This Rifle has a Nikon 6.5x20 variable scope.
I to, wish the folks at Remington would offer more calibers in their XR-100 model!
A partial list of calibers I would LOVE to see in this model would be 17 Remington Fireball, 17 Remington, 221 Fireball, 222 Remington, 22 Remington Bench Rest, 220 Swift, 6mm Remington Bench Rest, 243 Winchester and 6mm Remington.
One of the previous posters mentioned he was unable to make a group UNDER 1.000" with his XR-100, I feel bad about that but I want to relay, from my loading/shooting log book, the LARGEST group my XR-100 in 204 Ruger has made to date is .752" and that was with Hornady factory ammunition!
The average of ALL groups made with this Rifle is .464" (and this average includes all groups made during load development and when shooting factory ammunition as well!).
Then with my XR-100 in 223 Remington the largest group (again 5 shots at 100 yards) to date is .613"! The average of ALL groups made with this Rifle is .378"!
I don't think the XR-100 is a "secret" anymore!
You can't keep accuracy like that a secret.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Quote:

I can do that with my flintlock with patched round balls.

1 shot groups all day long!

Smsnyder: Please fill me in on the Spec-Rest - I am always interested in devices that aid steady shooting afield!
Where can I find info on your product?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Savage model 12BGTV fluted BBL, thumbhole stock (I'm sure it's a Boyds), and vented forearm. $700 and the accutrigger breaks like glass. Won't buy another Remmy, the Savages are just too good these days.

I'm not sure what the record is at the Williamsport range. But the NBRSA 1000 record is 1.473" for 5 shots in the light gun (17#) and 5.190" for 10 shots in the heavy gun (over 17#)

Back