What is your ratio? Set ups / kills

dogs_that_howl

On a season average How many setups do you make for one kill. So far for me, 7 setups / 1 dog. That is not as good as I would like of course.

Ooohh yeah, this does not include drive byes!

1 dog for 10 sets this year so far, that seems to be my average over the last couple years. It is frustrating, especially when everything feels right.

I don't really keep track, but probably close to 1:10 here too, overall. The coyotes here in the valley are pretty well pressured.

I may lose my secret decoder ring for telling you this, but I'll let you in on the secret to taking lots of coyotes that the successful contest hunters use.

Picking the "best" stands isn't the most important thing.

Playing the wind correctly isn't the most important thing.

Using the "best" calls or the "best" call sequence isn't the most important thing.

Even hunting an area with a high population and low hunting pressure isn't the most important thing.

All those things (and more) are certainly factors, but...THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, the way to kill more coyotes, is to make lots of stands. The guys that make 15, 20, or 25 stands a day are the ones that kill lots of coyotes and win contests.

How many stands do you make? If I make 10 in a day it's been a hard day of hunting (for me). That's one of the reasons I don't "do" contests.

I have kept records since 1985. Some years are way better than others and it all depends on where you are hunting at. I have averaged one called coyote for each 3.5 calls in my lifetime. Totals are 3844 sets made, 1098 coyotes called, 659 kills. All in Eastern Oregon.
My average was one coyote called for each 9 sets this year. All depends on coyote populations in the area you hunt.

Last edited:
So far this year it is about, 9 coyotes for every 11 stands.
but this is an off year, i would say average, 1 in every 7-9 stands.

I average 1 per 4 stands. It gets a little tricky because I get a lot of doubles, triples sometimes, but "action" every 4 stands is about right.

Probably 1 to every 8 or 10 for me as well. However, I hunt on alot of days when I know I'm not going to see much due to wind weather etc. just because it's the only day I'm going to get. So I don't get too dissapointed.

I have never really kept up with it, but now that you mention it, Im kinda of depressed. I would say 1:10, but thats better than last year. I have really tried to concentrate on the quality of stand I make, and my approach. I used to not be happy if I couldnt make 4-6 stands a morning, now I may only make two but I might have to walk a greater distance and sit longer. I have really had much better success, by slowing down.

After reading some of the post here. I think I am making a mistake in worrying about my setup not being perfect,wind direction not perfect etc--etc. Not wanting to educate yotes in my area has become a phobea that I need to get rid of. Am I the only one??? Rifleman2

This is an AWSOME topic! It brings the reality of coyote calling into plain site of the new coyote caller who only see's the video's.

I started a journal in 05. Wish I would have started sooner.

In 05 I made 101 sets and called in 24 predators. Of those called in, 10 got killed.

last year I made 48 sets and called in 11 predators. of those called in, 5 got killed.

32 sets this year so far. 9 called in and 4 killed.

I always say that if you kill %50 of the animals you call in, you're doing dang good.

Have I said how sweet this topic is?!

Rifleman2 nothing is perfect, especally in the sport of predator calling.
You can really through all the rules aside and just go by common sense and do much better then most. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I think nmleon said it best, make alot of stands and you should get more action.

I don't keep records anymore, but I've had my share of real good hunts where I'd averaged 1 or 1 1/2 a stand in places like Mexico and Nevada years ago, but that sure ain't the norm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Since I've been here in NM I think I average maybe 1 to every 3 or 4 stands, I think that's a pretty good average, but only because I found out where to hunt, thank's to some guy named Dusty.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
With the harsh winter we are having in CO. this year, my average is up significantly. I've never kept records, but this year I'm sure that I am calling at least one coyote on every other stand with multiples being a high percentage of those called in. I don't think there are more coyotes in our area than years past, BUT the harsh conditions are making them very callable!

I'm currently sitting at 1 kill for every 8 sets. Don't be frustrated, at least you are out calling instead of doing somthing you dont 't like doing.
Trashcan

Mine is very deceptive: 31 coyotes called in 67 stands this year. But, several of those were multiples on a stand. I have had a lot of dry stands in between.

I need to point out: Thses are number of coyotes called in only. Not the amount killed. Nor other anymals called in.

Last edited:
Ok this is my input:

Caliing in dogs per stand: 5 for 6 this year
Killing: two for the five, but only two shots

Here in my area of Louisiana you will not get those far shots or get warning that a dog is on its way. Most of the time they are on top of you before you even see them. We hunt heavy woods on most of our stands. Plus I am teaching my older son who is 5 years old on hunting. He sometimes get excited when he sees them and gives us away. I actually enjoy seeing him when they come in. It is all worth it though just to get him into hunting and see his excitement.

Back