What is your ratio? Set ups / kills

For me....

red fox 10%
Grey fox 25%
Coyotes .002%

I'm counting the ones that I should have killed but didn't due to missing the shot, dropping the light when they were in close, etc. In other words, animals that actually responded to the call.

Something that nmleon mentioned....spot on!!

The more calls a salesman makes, the more he sells. I try to make as many possible stands in a night as possible. That way, even if you're only getting a 5-10% response, you can still kill 2 or 3 in a day. I routinely call areas that I have low confidence in, just to add another stand to the night. These "low percentage" spots save the day fairly often.

I am new at this, and have only been calling since the start of Dec. I have made about 60 stands this year, alot of which have been made while scouting new land to hunt. I have called in 2 doubles and 4 singles, and have 3 dead yotes (2 for me and 1 for my uncle). The good news is that we have killed the last 3 out of 4 we called in. Hit a stump on the 4th with a running shot at 70 yards, but that was after I took the other one that came in with him/her.

Great!!!

In around 25 or 26 stands, I have called in 2 I never saw (tracks that weren't there before) and one fox that my friend missed 3 times, all standing shots 75-100 yds. After that, we have been completely dry. That was in october, on the top of the mountain, but I think the valley dogs are overcalled. Example; west of Delta, we heard howling walking into a stand. I did a serenade, and they were just out of sight over a hill, answering back. I did rabbit distress after 10 mins of this, and they started warning barking! Anyway, we called 2 last year in 12 stands, 1 missed, one no shot. We have pretty poor luck from mid december to mid january. Other than that they are uneducated or easier to howl in.

Knapper has been tracking our group's numbers for the year. I think we're at right about 2/5 with a little over 100 stands called. We usually get at least 1 day a weekend, about ten stands a day, and usually see anywhere from 5-10 coyotes per day. Some are drive-bys, though.

Just to clarify my earlier post. Not all the coyotes we have called have been kills, but the average of called in is 1 in 7-9 stands.

To follow up on what Hakuna said above, looking at the records this year, we have called 119 stands and have had 68 coyotes come in to 50 of those stands. So, 50 positive stands of 119 called is about 42% success, or 2:5, or 1 positive stand out of every 2.5 called.

Unfortunately, our shot at to killed percentage isn't much better at 59 shot at and 24 killed or roughly 41% but we are doing better than last year! Interestingly, we have only shot at half of the coyotes we have seen while in a position to do something about it (in other words, while we were in the field with a gun). We have seen 116 coyotes this year since the first of October (including the 68 called) and have only shot at 59. We have been passing up a lot of running or long range shots hoping to get a better shot another day without educating them any more than necessary.

Interesting post. I guess this is why I keep track, so I can look back and see how it has been going!

Knapper

07- 6 sets 1 kill
06-5 sets 3 kills
I always seem to do better in the summer then winter. I have not saved any fur. But i am wanting to learn to skin and prepare the pelts.

Back