.223 for elk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candidus

I am thinking about using my AR-15 for elk this year. The regs, R12-4 304 subsection 6(a) states: "To take elk: Centerfire rifles; . . . " No mention of caliber.

What the hell. I figure a well placed 75 grn bullet will get the job done.

What do you guys think?

I have seen it done with a 22/250 but the shot was to the head. Watched another shot in the body with same caliber, 300 winchester mag had to come to the rescue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If the shot is placed perfect you probably could kill a elephant with a bb gun, but..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been done, you won't be setting any record.

But it's kind of disrespectful and foolish to take a chance on loosing such a magnificent game animal.

Even Nolan Ryan would agree you don't play baseball with Elk

I would seriously encourage you to reconsider. I've seen 55 grain .223 spire points bounce of a wild russian boar at 70 yards. I am not an animal finatic or anything, but a .223 will be nothing but a wasp sting to an elk. Don't want to risk wounding one and having em get away!

What the heck are you thinking??? That is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. Yeah you could probably do it, but why would you? Thats like Cutting a load of fire wood with a rock. Could get it done, but it is not right. No matter how you look at it, the 223 is the wrong choice for any animal bigger than a medium sized white tail andf it is debatable at best for that. No matter how fast it goes, etc. it doesnot have the power to effectively and consistently take elk. If your under 50 yards and a perfect shot maybe, but even there a bow seems a better choice. The point of a bullet of rifle is to cause death by shock, meaning power. The 223 will never pack enough power for it. I have seen rounds from a 30-06 lodge in the front shoulder oa and elk at 200 yards and never make it into chest. Do that with a 223 all you will do is kill the elk in a few months from infection. The larger caliber guns will atleast cause enought trama to slow an elk, a 223 wont. The energy alon is not enough to make it through the body.

You will also be really mad when that 400 plus bull is out there at 200 yards and you cant even make him flinch. Bottom line is elk are tuff sturdy animals and a 223 is an injust way to hunt them.

Plenty of time to get your hands on a more suitable rifle.
If you tell your friends what your thinking i'm sure they will offer to let you use one of their rifles.

Gary

Man you guys are too nice - I was bracing for "hell no!" and "you are an idiot if you do!" remarks. Maybe your just thinking it?

Nevertheless, have any of you ever done it? Taken down a bull elk with a .223? I know it is a poor choice. If I get drawn - I need to come up with a .30 cal. Hunting big game in AZ and only getting drawn once every five to seven years - I seem to be fresh out of of big game sticks. I am not the kind of guy that can let a rifle sit that long. I guess I will wait and see what happens. I have 5 bonus points for elk and the other hunters on my app. have 5 and 7.

You can kill a Elk with the 22 lr but it sure would have to be a life and death situation. At least use a 22-250.

Anybody that's tried that stunt has their head in a dark warm place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Last edited:
hello, i have never hunted elk...seen many some real close....it would make no sense to fire a 223 at a elk,the smell of them alone will put your senses on edge.this is a impressive animal & that is a understatement...i know many..many..many..elk hunters the majority are almost saddened by the death of this magnificent animal...you must never have seen an elk in the wild or you would understand,they are near & can be horse sized animals...you are right it is a wonder you haven't taken a beating for asking the question?? i guess at least you asked...get a big bore !!!!

This spring I was on a damage control hunt for elk in Colorado and I wasn't hunting, but just a back-up shooter for the ill experienced. The hunter shot a cow 7, yes SEVEN times with a 300 Win Mag. All poor shots....all hits though. It was getting dark and on the seventh shot, he finally put the animal down...all shot were within 150 yards....it was misery to see. No animal deserves to be treated that way.

The crappy part was the damage control guide wanted him to keep shooting over a 15 minute period instead of letting me put it down for him. I was there only if the shot was not within the hunter's ability anymore and the elk was going to get away.

Moral of the story...even the big guns with poor shots can be misery, using a .223 just means that your shot needs to be perfect with no room for error.

Candidus, if you decide to go the .223 route, pass on any shot that isn't perfect and in your comfort zone.

There is nothing but shame in such a venture. Never even heard of it. Lots of calibers fill a broad niche with elk being at the top. When you draw this will be a good excuse to buy another rifle! Someone on another thread wrote that eveyone needs a .308.

Why waste an AZ Elk Tag (Impossible to get) on A coyote rifle? Unless you are A Bench Rest Accurate Shot (in the Ear)Beg, Borrow, or Steal a Hunting rifle for the Job..Might be Awhile 'for you get another Chance..srwduck..

Don't be a dick. Shoot an animal with the propper gun or go home. If your'e going to try that you might as well spotlight the thing or just hit it with your truck. Shooting game is a privlige for most of us, not a matter of feeding our family. The animal deserves more respect than a shot that is a little off and starvation from a broken jaw or a gutshot. Don't Be A Dick. You are are a HUNTER.. act accordingly.
Trashcan

Quote:
What the heck are you thinking??? That is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. Yeah you could probably do it, but why would you? Thats like Cutting a load of fire wood with a rock. Could get it done, but it is not right. No matter how you look at it, the 223 is the wrong choice for any animal bigger than a medium sized white tail andf it is debatable at best for that. No matter how fast it goes, etc. it does not have the power to effectively and consistently take elk. If your under 50 yards and a perfect shot maybe, but even there a bow seems a better choice. The point of a bullet of rifle is to cause death by shock, meaning power. The 223 will never pack enough power for it. Bottom line is elk are tuff sturdy animals and a 223 is an injust way to hunt them.

I agree with ELKS it is a very poor choice and not one a TRUELY ETHICAL HUNTER would make or for that matter even attempt.
Elks I commend you on your tone and the thought you put into your post, it goes to show we have ethical hunters here on PM and there is no need for fowl language or belittling someone because they do not seem to be thinking clearly.

Rus

This idea begs to the next obvious.....uh,....illogical question....

Is the 17HMR adequate for the African Big Five?

Wow!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

JMO - BCB

Well, judging from your posts, I think I will go with the .223 after all. Unlike some of you I like a challenge. Kinda like David and Goliath - shot placement. Worse case, there won't be any more suffering than if the animal was clipped by a car on the interstate.

I think I will take a chance. I will post pics of my "B&C trophy bull taken with .223" this fall. In the off-season, I think I may lobby the state legislature for a special rimfire hunt so I can take my .17 HMR next year. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back