.223 for elk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread seems EXTREMELY similar to a should I use a .17 HMR for coyote. My same answer still applies to both your question and one of my pet peeve topics. NO!!!

HaHaHaHa!!! That's the same stunt my brother pulls!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He'll ask the question even though the answer others put to him don't mean diddly squat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I think your'e funny!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If you have your mind all made up... execute!!! Who cares about others opinions!?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do what you need to do and don't go fishing for conformation from others...be your own man bro!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Hope It all works out...Oh, I'm sorry for treading on the fine line of indecency with the Dick comment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Think about it and be ready for the follow-up shots if you get them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Trashcan (Ethical hunter deluxe)

Candidus
Would you like to maximize your opportunities in this hunt.
In other words, yes under ideal conditions & at a short range with some bullets the 223 will kill an Elk, if you lung him or shoot him in the head. Yes, that could be done.

However, do you know how this Elk will be standing, what angle will you have to shoot this Elk & at what range. Speaking for myself & the people that I hunt with, we don't know these things until the shooting opportunity exists. This is what I mean by maximizing the opportunities, I want
a gun in my hands that can bust his shoulders from the side if that is the shot offered, or do a high shoulder shot which will bust the point of the shoulder & penetrate the
lung, Kidney area if quartering to me, or be able to shoot
if he is quartering away into the rear of his vitals & bust
his off shoulder. I also want to be able to harvest this great Animal at any reasonable distance which can be long range. The 223 CANNOT be relied on for any of these shots.
Soooo, why not go prepared for the hunt as we always should?

If you don't want an unused gun sitting around (hope my Wife does not see that), why not buy a rifle you know you can get your money back on & start practicing. Then after the hunt, sell it.

Or if the initial outlay is a problem, buy a Handi rifle in
270, 280 or 30-06 for about $225.00-250.00 & you can sell it too! You can come back from the hunt without economic issues & have a hunt with good life long memories & no regrets.

your just the kind of hunter we really don't need in arizona. if you don't have the weapon for the hunt then don't put in. Most likely you would wound a few before putting one down. you must be frome the city. get a clue dude!

OK, I'll level with you. I have killed LOTS of elk, I've seen LOTS shot and I have seen a large number lost. Why were they lost? Because of some guy who "thinks" he can get the job done underguned. The smallest caliber should be the .270 Win. Yeah, I know some are killed with smaller but too many are lost. I live in prime elk country, I see elk at least twice a week, they are a magnificent animal and should be treated that way. This is the first time I have really gotten my dander up on any subject on this forum. I wouldn't recommend anyone hunt elk with a .223 around me, because I'd take it and wrap it around a tree! Please stay out of Montana!

nomosendero: Your post got me thinking and it occurred to me that the .223 will damage far less meat on my trophy bull. More meat in the freezer and no sewing to do on the full body mount I will be selling to Cabela's. Man the .223 keeps looking better and better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Bcupr: What is "Bcupr" anyway? Your preferred bra size? I am just the type of hunter this state needs. Handsome, bold, daring, handsome, and humble. I have been hunting AZ since I was 15 and I have seen every inch of the state. I have taken every type of game there is to hunt in Arizona . . . well, except for desert bighorn, buffalo, black bear, antelope, bobcat, mountain lion, turkey, pheasant, chukar and grouse - but I have taken at least one of everything else. I also know where the Lost Dutchman's gold is. I just haven't told anyone yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Edited to add: Nevermind

Last edited:
Quote:
your just the kind of hunter we really don't need in arizona. if you don't have the weapon for the hunt then don't put in. Most likely you would wound a few before putting one down. you must be frome the city. get a clue dude!

Bcupr:

Very well stated. It's a shame when some of our own are the best allies others like PITA and similar groups have to push their arguements about inhumane killing.

I guess it takes all kinds to make the world spin....including some who actually seem arrogant about their lack of common sense. Or maybe they're just trolling for effect.....and have nothing better to do.

JMO - BCB

PS: I like your forum name. When pronounced phonetically, it reminds me of an old girl friend... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I too have seen lots of Elk kilt and I reccomend nothing smaller than a 300 win mag. this will put it down right now and hardly any if any trailing,

Oh and by the way you are a very imature hunter and should take some advice of some of the guys here Do your self a favor and listen up pard.

candidus,you sir are a idiot...are you trying to get run off this site????? if you had ever been close to a live elk you would realize how far off you are.....you are either a dope...or fake??? what's going on....

Candidus, I'm going to aproach this thread as you just having a little fun and stirring the water a little. Although I'm a big fan of the .223 I think Elk is stretching it by a long shot. Will it kill an elk? Absolutely! Like someone said, there have been more deer killed by a .22 than any other rifle but probably a pretty big wounding ratio goes along with that. Let me encourage you to seek a little more muscle than the .223 if in fact you were serious. If you've hunted elk before and it sounds like you have, unless you're on private land, you work for the shot. If you need more challenge, pick up a bow. Thats how I've hunted elk exclusively for the past ten years with respectable success. Like I said, if this was for fun it seems you've pulled a few tails. If not, I ask you to reconsider, I think you'll have plenty of meat in the freezer even using a larger caliber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I work with a guy just like Candidus, just loves to stir the pot. Makes him feel better to upset people. I just don't get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Candidus, I'm going to aproach this thread as you just having a little fun and stirring the water a little. Although I'm a big fan of the .223 I think Elk is stretching it by a long shot. Will it kill an elk? Absolutely! Like someone said, there have been more deer killed by a .22 than any other rifle but probably a pretty big wounding ratio goes along with that. Let me encourage you to seek a little more muscle than the .223 if in fact you were serious. If you've hunted elk before and it sounds like you have, unless you're on private land, you work for the shot. If you need more challenge, pick up a bow. Thats how I've hunted elk exclusively for the past ten years with respectable success. Like I said, if this was for fun it seems you've pulled a few tails. If not, I ask you to reconsider, I think you'll have plenty of meat in the freezer even using a larger caliber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

+1

i am going to give candidus the benifit of the doubt and say he is smart enough not to go shoot elk with a 223.

I think he has to me yanking our collective chains...at least before I get too fired up, I'm going to say a silent prayer for theElk that wanders past him if he draws a tag.

candidus
I live where the elk are....Western Colorado...and last year never saw one inside 700 yards during the season...even for someone who lives among them (Me), they are a treasure too valuable (As are all game animals) to take a chance of dis-respecting by shooting at them with a .22 cal...That isn't even legal here in Colorado. I have seen elk killed with 30-30 308, 270, 243 and many other cals, but I have never seen one drop at the shot, and I saw one that was well hit with a 7mm mag that we trailed for more than 3 hours to find...I saw a poorly hit 5x5 bull get lost in a canyon after a poor hit from a first time hunter with an 8x57...found him 3 days later badly chewed on by lion....

As I said I believe your yanking our chains...if not...well please don't dis-respect one of the greatest game animals of all time.

I think that everyone is taking this too seriously. I mean if he's gonna shoot it with a .223, no matter how much we bash him or tell him hes an idiot or moron, it's just gonna fuel his need to come on here and say, thats right i killed this elk with my .223. It he really wants to, who are we to stop him. The only thing anyone here could do is go to his house and take his gun. Who here is going to actually do that, be proactive about this situation. I also do not think a 223 is the best choice, but if he really is set on using it, more power to ya.

Get yourself a good 30-06 and you will be covered for any elk 300 yards or under. No matter what people try to tell you the 30-06 kills just as well as any 300 magnum. The magnum might shoot a couple inch flatter but in the real world of hunting it just doesn't help very much. If you are serious about the 223 use the Barnes TS . You only have five shots even with the AR, because most state limit the clip to five shot for big game, no matter what rifle you use. Neck , Head , or Lungs and even with the 223 this should get you a elk. Good luck and post the Photos.

If that is the way you see it then my post did not get you
to thinking as you say at all.
It is one of two things.
1. You want people to get emotional & have a little fun or
2. You really are a moron.
It is not my job to figure out which one it is, there are enough folks on this forum & others who want to discuss
logical matters.
Bye now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back