Spider bites

Until modern synthetic materials became available the Osage Orange wood was the best wood for making bows. For at least 1000 years and probably longer it was the first choice.

Osage Orange wood longbows made English archers a terror to their enemies 1000 or more years ago.

Jack

Quote:
But Gregg...............The Geckos were my idea not nmleon's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh, either way the result was the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. My wife is not sure she likes me hanging around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. She thinks I have more "funny" ideas since I found PM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I figured I just found a bunch of "normal" friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Its the rest of the world that is out of step, not PM'ers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif. I thought the Geckos was a great idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. This forum is full of great ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

Last edited:
I did a search on Hobo spiders and it took me to the hobo spider web site. It will give all the info you need plus some you don't want, it includes pictures of the male and female spider. It gave me the creeps! I am somewhat computer illeterate or I would have posted a link. Excuse me while I go set a bug bomb off in my shed.

You gotta love this forum and woman are just that way Greg. They think we are weird or acting strangely or coming up with funny ideas no matter what we do. I did have a pretty funny visual thinking about you proposing lizards in the house to her. I convinced my wife by asking her if she would prefer a small lizard or two scooting across the bed at night or an army of Hobo spiders. The lizards got the okay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Here is a Hobo spider link Shummy for those that want Hobo info.

http://www.hobospider.com/info/index.html

I found it interesting that many people blame the Brown Recluse for bites and infestations when in fact what they are really looking at is a Hobo Spider. Regardless both are all too common and both have very nasty bites. I have the willies now. Did I mention I HATE spiders.

Jack Roberts;

Osage Orange was and is a phenomenal wood for bows.

But, it's a North American species. The English didn't have access to it. What they used, and it was extremely effective, were bows made of English yew. Which, in and of itself, is a danged fine wood for bows.

BTW - I already hate and loathe hobo spiders... and I've never seen a real one... and don't want to.

Quote:
I convinced my wife by asking her if she would prefer a small lizard or two scooting across the bed at night or an army of Hobo spiders.

I've never seen them on the furniture (or bed) unless they just lost a "wrestling match" with another gecko. You'll see them pretty much only on the walls and ceiling.

Of course we've always had dogs, cats, and a mongoose in Thailand, so that may have had something to do with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And all this time I thought English yew and Osage Orange were identical? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Thanks for setting me straight VAnimrod.

Jack

I'll vouch for the effectiveness of geckos in the house. We're full of geckos here in Hawaii and I see them in the house all the time. Not a bug to be found in here though! Takes a little bit of gettin used to but eventually seeing a gecko on your wall wont even draw your attention.

Oh ya, I work in plastic surgery and have done a lot of reconstructive and skin grafting type surgery to spider bites. Most of the people are from out of state.

A year ago, I was bitten on my eye lid, which swelled up to just a little bigger than the size of a golf ball. I had to take steroid pills for three days. That didn't work, so they gave me a steroid shot. A couple of days later it started turning an ugly purplish-black color. (is purplish a word?)So finally, I had to get surgery at the hospital.

Back