Spider bites

VAnimrod

I HATE, LOATHE, and DESPISE the little 8-legged freaks...

But, I got this via e-mail today, it's pretty accurate, timely, and well, just generally good info, so I'm passing it along.

Quote:

Brown Recluse Spider Bites ---

People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning & sometimes in their attics. Be careful where you put your hands, especially with spring cleanups--wearing gloves may be helpful.

The Brown Recluse spider is THE most dangerous spider in the USA.

This man was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. The following illustrates the progression of a brown recluse spider bite. The affected skin actually dies on his body. Some of the pictures towards the end are pretty nasty, but take a look at the last one -- it is a picture of the spider itself.

Day 1:
spiderbite1.jpg

Day 3:
spiderbite2.jpg

Day 5
spiderbite3.jpg

Day 6
spiderbite4.jpg

Day 9
spiderbite5.jpg

The Brown Recluse Spider: A person, especially the elderly or small children, can die from it's bite. We all should know what the spider looks like:

brownreclusespider.jpg

Please be careful.

Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent & highly negative consequences.

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work.

I got bit by a Hobo spider last year and it sucked! My finger was useless for quite a while, I had to take all kinds of antibiotics and assorted other goodies. Oh yea, it hurt to!

I took care of a lot of soldiers at Ft Leonard Wood with all kinds of bites. I even seen a tshirt at the PX that had pictures of some spiders and snakes that said "send more soldiers the last ones tasted good" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for that info Vanimrod. I have seen it before and it is a good reminder. Keep in mind that Hobo Spiders are even more common and widespread than the Brown Recluse and the damage they can cause with a bite are almost as bad. Hobo Spiders tend to be even more aggressive than the Recluse.

Two years ago, I did some remodeling in my house which temporarily opened the floor to the crawl space. I had an infestation of Hobo Spiders. I found out that the experts strongly recommend that you dont spray for them because you may kill off the species that prey on Hobo's and then they can go unchecked. I came up with an ingenious solution that will work for anyone who has a sudden increase in Spider activity in their house. I went to the pet store and I bought 6 house Geckos. They are relatively small little Geckos that average about 3 to 4 inches in length. They are ravenous little hunters and they rule the night. I turned three loose in my crawl space and three loose in my house. I never once saw a single one of them ever again. I also never once saw another spider or bug of any kind in my house. It worked like a charm. For those that find this a little creepy, you can live with it when you consider the alternative. Geckos dont bite or attack people. Hairy little spiders do and I HATE spiders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif.

Not a problem Shummy. As long as they can obtain shade or a cool spot. Inside a house they will obtain moisture off of pipes and areas where there is condensation. They should thrive in that type of environment.

Timely post. I HATE SPIDERS TOO!!!!! I have to deal with them in crawlspaces when doing a home inspection. One of the drawbacks to doing them. About 2 1/2 months ago, I was bit on the chest six times by what appeared to be a small spider. I am just now getting over from that ordeal. They are about the only critter that really freaks me out. I would rather tangle with a cow moose that has a calf than have a spider crawling on me. I loathe spiders...kill 'em all.

I don't like aracnids of any kind one thing that helps control them in houses with basements is to put sticky traps along the walls in dark rooms, ie fruit rooms ect. Hope this helps it would take the fun out of life to lose a hand or something......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh come on guys, they are just misunderstood and have a right to life. After all we moved into their enviroinment and are crowding em out of their place in nature. Why can't we just let em be. Nature will sort it out.

I see a new environmental group forming. FERS(Fair and equal rights for Spiders) or maybe AWC (Arachnid Wll being Committee).... Sure ther are plenty others out there.

On a serious note thanks for sharing those dange things can sure cause some serious damage.

If you get bit by a spider, put Lotrimin AF on it. It's for athletes foot, but also kills the saliva of the spider that makes your skin rot. Try it. It works.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the way I cured my bites (or prevented them from gettin worse) was getting a pitch blister off a Grand Fir (White Fir works too) and smearing that on the bites. It really works. The best blisters come off a tree that is 6-10" dbh.

Late evening, was callin coyotes last fall in a CRP field. My wingman was down the hillside. It was warm out. I was wearing shorts & a T-shirt with my ghilli suit over them.

Felt something crawling on my inner thigh, hmmmm. Then it nailed me good. I Let out a quick distress sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. Buddy wondered why I didn't "suck it up & kept quite". I said, "let me stick you in the groin, with a hot piece of Copper wire". He declined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Went back to the same place afew days later in the early am. The CRP grass, was wet from morning Dew. The field was infested with small very thin webs & spiders the size of a Nickle.

Watch where you sit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
I first learned of geckos in Thailand. When moving into a new house, people would kill a few bugs (flies and such) and put them on the window sill to attract the geckos.

They are kind of cool to have around. They'll take up a hunting stand behind picture frames, etc., and if another gecko ventures too close to their territory, they'll fight till one of them is thrown off the wall. Very entertaining.

I also had a pet mongoose for the snakes. Another very cool animal to watch in action.

My wife got bit by a spider recently. We were in French Polynesia on the island of Taha'a when she got bit on the forearm. She barely noticed it when it happened but by that evening it looked like she had a golf ball under her skin. The next day she was black and blue from elbow to wrist. It all cleared up in a couple weeks so was not a real bad spider.

Jack

nmleon,
I'm gonna tell my wife I'm getting lizards to run around in the house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'm telling her it was your idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Better keep your whereabouts unknown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

I just told her I was getting them and It was your idea. I won't tell you her response. It wasn't good. You better lie low for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
She would have freaked out at my house when my kids were growing up. I had my daughter, 2 nephews and a niece, 7yr spread, and my house was full of lizards, tarantulas, horny toads, snakes (none venomous), and mice (to feed the snakes), besides the regular dogs, cats, and parrots (and a bluejay we "saved").

The kids are all grown up now, but they still say growing up in a single Dad house was GREAT!

If you get around an area that has trees that bear "Hedge Apples" collect some in the fall and place them around your basement, attic or storage sheds where spiders tend to go for their nest building and you will never see another spider there. These 'apples' will eventually deteriorate when it gets hot weather if left in attics and need to be retrieved.
When I first retired, my wife and I bought a 150 yr old house that still had the slave quarters and were rehabbing it for a B&B. It had been vacant for a number of years and it was full of a variety of spiders and other bugs.
Within 30 days of putting the hedge apples out, the bugs and especially the spiders, were gone.
These are the trees that were usually used to form property line hedges around a lot of farms, usually full of big thorns.

OldTurtle;

You're talking about either Osage Orange or Hawthorn, and I think the former.

Good idea...

As is the Lotramin thought... and the fir blister idea (I'm more likely to try the fir blister... can't go in for pharmaceuticals...)

Back