NYS Coyote Hunters

Season opener next week.........

Good luck to all.........

I got the calls ready and a couple of new rifles for the woods, so I'm ready for bear.....er, coyotes....

Happy huntin'
Bob

Guys,

This year in particular, it seems that more guys are hunting coyotes, and from the scouting we've done locally, it seems we have a pretty decent abundance of coyotes......at least by sign, and howling frequency.

Guys nailing them already kind of shows this to be the case.......so, maybe things are turning around from last year.

Lets hope for a banner year......

Bob

John,

HAHAHAHA.........nice link....

I'm ALWAYS hunting them, even when I'm hunting something else. Bow season is on it's last legs, and since I'm out there for deer, I don't want to get tooting on my calls quite yet. I thought I could get a deer down, and grab one of my handguns to go out specifically for fox & coyotes, but the deer won't cooperate.....or I'm getting too choosey.

Don't want to take any of those baby bucks....

Gun season starts next Sat., so I got another week to stick one. If not, then I got plenty of time through gun, and even muzzleloader season. I really can only use one deer per season as none of the kids or wife eat it unless I get it made into hot dogs or jerky, etc.

Once the season's closed though, it goes into predator's full tilt.

See you over at CM............LOL

Take care,
Bob

hey fellas.....its been a while since I been on here. Thought I would drop in and say hello.....how's everybodies season going so far?

Hayzer,

Yeah, this is ONE LONG THREAD we had going wasn't it ?

I've been having a hard time scoring on deer this season as I've decided to become more selective on my take regarding buck maturity. This year, as with any other year where I tried to "hold out" for the bigger buck scenario, naturally it narrows your take down considerably.

I don't mind getting skunked if I do, and to be honest, I like to think that I'm leaving the little one's alone to grow a little older.
If things get too late in the season, and I want to fill the freezer, I'll smack a fat doe.....which I usually see daily.

I can't wait to get on to fox & coyote, and I've got 2 new Browning A-Bolts in .223 and .243 to get a little blood on.

The .223 is absolutely the nicest sporter I think I've ever had as far as weight & feel. And, both guns are real shooters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif............They shoot amazingly well, and right alongside my heavy barreled VSSF in .22-250.

Good luck & take care,
Bob

I was going to wait before I hunted again until we could use the rifles after deer season totally closes (6 more days) ,but the night was too perfect. Called in a couple of small foxs under 25 yards, sure is more fun then deer hunting

shotgunfox.jpg

Joe,

Nice going........yeah, the bug is starting to sink it's teeth in, that's for sure.

Rcpilot(John) and I are going to headout later next week maybe. It'll be the first time out with a centerfire, and I never made it out with a rimfire this year either.

I almost had a couple with the bow, but not quite. "Almost" only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes anyway...LOL.

We're pretty peppered with fox around here for the most part, and from what John say's, Mrs. RCpilot wants a fox fur pretty badly.

I had a prime fur last year that the mice found hanging out in the garage. They chewed a very nice softball sized hole in it, naturally destroying it's worth....

Keep up the good work.....
Bob

Garrett,

Love to grab a day and go out (I live down north of Pike), but I'm running my tail off trying to get all the chore's done before the season starts.

Maybe if I can get caught up on the construction of my family room, we can catch a day or two. When I hunt the northend of the county, I usually hunt over towards Middlebury on Carlton Hill.

Bennington and the townships north of there would probably be decent hunting. Never been over on that corner of the county other than when I was working as a Deputy.

You can PM me anytime.........

Take care,
Bob

Man been while since I posted here.

Nice fox Joe. From the pics conditions looked perfect. Just enough snow. Not like now.

Just wondering how you guys are making out with the predators?

I'm going out tonight come h*ll or high water. Then next week I plan to get in at least 10 stands!!! Well I'll try anyway.

Happy and safe Holidays to all!!!!!

freebm, i hear ya. i haven't posted in awhile either. once in awhile i would surf through to see whats going on.

good lookin' fox joe.

handgunr, how are the critters doing out by you?

i'll be heading out soon to see what in can stir up!

good huntin'
goose

Hey guys,
Anyone in the CNY area ? I'm out of Utica. Got some good spots for Fox and Coyote and always looking for someone to hunt with. I'm pretty new to Predator hunting but experienced as a hunter. Not opposed to driving to hunt either.

i'm in cato, it's the border of cayuga and oswego counties. i haven't called in anything yet(except a skunk and deer), but i keep trying. i tried to buy a fx-3 the yesterday but bass pro was all sold out. i'm going up saturday for a yote calling siminar so i'll try to pick one up then, early morning before everybody else shows up. i've also gotta get my lights wired up with a much bigger battery than i'm running know.

Hey Goose/freebm......long time no hear from....

Quote:
handgunr, how are the critters doing out by you?

I got a chance to head out yesterday AM......just as I thought......the first two sets drew in 3 fox......my partner got made by the first one, I nailed the second, and on the 2nd setup, I called a third in and my partner was looking the other way & coughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Naturally, the fox wasn't sticking around to ask him if he wanted a cough drop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Usually, if were not getting out at night, from the crack of dawn on, until maybe 10AM, is the best. After that, it's almost like they all disappeared.
Didn't call a thing in for the rest of the day at several different locations.

Hope you guys are getting out and having some fun.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,
Bob

Too many sites and too little time . LOL

Fullmoon & Hollenbeck, do you guys hunt anywhere around Edmeston or Bridgewater? I did my graduate studies in Utica and always wanted to hunt in that area. I use to see a ton of geese traveling up route 8 in the fall. And the brush looks like fox heaven!!!

Hollenbeck,as for not calling anything in, don't give up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifhe he he A rough tally shows I've made approximately 20+ stands (need to check all my logs to make sure of the exact number) and haven't seen a set of predator eyes yet!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif And I'm just getting rolling!!!!!!!

I have a FX-3 too. It works..... but I use the mouth calls too. I think that with the e-caller your stand options open up. It's nice being able to set the caller out away from you and watch them approach. Plus the selection of sounds is incredible. My remote will work fine at the distances I usually set the caller (40-120 yards) from my shooting position.

If you guys want to hunt let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Happy New Years. Stay safe!

I have hunted the stateland up on the hill from bridgewater.

This would be Brookfield NY. I think the hunt the hell out of

this area with dogs. As far as winter I have seen coyotes in

small thicketts near swamp land I guess where the game is? I

should knock on more doors to get access where the dogs are.

**Kind of weird the neighbor kid was out grouse hunting a few

miles up the road and he shot a coyote mousing 15 yards away. I alway's wanted to hunt with an experienced person to see all the mistacks I am making...

Happy New Year! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Back