NYS Coyote Hunters

Thanks for the info. I approved that petition. That would be great if they changed the season to all year round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I live just a few miles south of the NY line (south of Jamestown) and just starting to get into predator hunting. We do have year round coyote hunting if someone wants to go give me a holler. I am excited to try out my FoxPro FX5

Sunday, Rick and I got out. The very first setup was a half mile walk down a state land road and then into the woods about 50 yds. On the way in we paid close attention to the tracks we crossed. Alot of deer but no dog tracks.

Well after calling for 45 mins and only getting the crows excited we headed out and about 60 yds back down the road from where we went into the woods are 2 of the nicest sets of dog tracks heading right to where we were. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

And so ends another season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Well our season is over. Mine ended with a couple of good stands but no coyotes to show for my efforts. Can hardly wait for the fall season to start. Plan on doing some scouting for dens.

Time to work on the equipment and figure out ways to carry this "stuff" more efficiently. Also going to start wearing 20 lb leg weights to prepare for the snowshoe season. LOL
I will say, the snow really opened my eyes to how bad I need to "shape up"... or get a sled. Hmmm, maybe that's not a bad idea.

Good luck with the gobblers.

WE NEED ALL SPORTSMEN, WOMEN AND YOUTH TO E-MAIL Assemblyman Robert Sweeney CHAIRMAN OF THE NEW YORK STATE ASSEMBLY CONSERVATION COMMITTEE WITH YOUR SUPPORT FOR BILL A-6900. THIS BILL WOULD ALLOW 14 AND 15 YEAR OLD JUNIOR HUNTERS ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN TO HUNT BIG GAME WITH A GUN. HE NEEDS TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE THAT SUPPORTS THIS LEGISLATION. AS OF MARCH 27th HE HAD NO E-MAILS OF SUPPORT BUT MANY IN OPPOSITION. HE SAID HE WANTS TO HEAR FROM SPORTSMEN, LET US BE HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR THAT WE WANT OUR YOUTH TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HUNT BIG GAME IN NEW YORK STATE!

E-MAIL HIM AT Sweeney@assembly.state.ny.us

ALSO CONTACT YOUR LOCAL LEGISLATOR WITH THE SAME INFO AND DO A FOLLOW UP WITH A LETTER OR POSTCARD. YOUTH SHOULD INCLUDE THEIR AGE.

SPREAD THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

Yours in Conservation,

Harold L. Palmer
President
New York State Conservation Council Inc.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I approved that petition. That would be great if they changed the season to all year round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Didn't know you where one of the owners of Petitions Online.com. Thanks for approving this petition for online use. I think it means a lot to all of the New York Hunters.

Hey gang,

Just checked on this old thread to see if anyone was getting excited yet for the upcoming season......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Time to start getting the calls out, and doing a little howling at night to locate those packs....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good luck this upcoming season !

Take care,
Bob

OOOO YES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Been working up in Lorraine, NY in Jefferson County this week. Every day when the noon whistle goes off there a small pack that start in.
Really gets the blood pumping again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Can't wait til this season, been seeing a lot of yotes this Summer. Can't wait to hit up those spots. It's right around the corner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hope you guys both have a good season.

We haven't been hearing anything, which is really odd, but we've seen several during the summer in various spots.

Normally, over the past several years, we've had a pack or two around the area of my place, and within earshot. Once the fire whistles go off at dusk, off they go.

But late last year, and up until now, we haven't heard a thing......they probably moved out, who knows.

Can't wait.......

Take care,
Bob

Nice Jim.......

Funny I just mentioned not hearing anything lately.......it's an omen....

Last night around 11:00, I stepped out for a smoke, accompanied my lab/sheppard mix, and low & behold, I hear two coyotes repeating locator barks and short howls out behind my place. One was up in the woods about 800-1000yds. back, and the other was closer to me (500-600 yds.) in the open fields just out behind my house.

Laughingly, my dog is a good indicator, verifying coyote vocalizations........he doesn't raise an eyebrow if the neighbor's dogs are barking.....won't even join in, and seemingly could care less. He just isn't very vocal unless the UPS guy pulls in the yard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif..........BUT, let a coyote start in howling and yipping & he goes simply nuts.....

Something about the vocal patterns, or a connection with the voice and a smell he came across, I don"t know.

Anyway, he starts in whining, then yipping back at them, and then breaks into this long low gutteral howl, and I broke up laughing......halfway through it all, he stopped and looked right at me like "What, don't you like my singing ?"......

After a short pause, from my dog's saranade screwing up their cadence, they started right back in.

A bark, or two, then a very short & light howl. This went on for almost 20 mins or so as they crossed from east to west. One inside the woods and one out in the field, on the edge of them.

Nice to hear them finally.............

Take care,
Bob

FYI - saw 2 live coyotes off 84 in Fishkill 2 weeks ago, and one roadkilled pup. Dutchess county has been hot for the last 5 years, and is probably a safe bet for some good pred hunting.

Columbia county in Hillsdale and Copake on the Massachusetts border has always been good coyote hunting. I still hunt preds there on occassion, but land is getting harder to come by as it changes hands, or becomes developed. Many of my old contacts have moved on, sold or died. Youngs folks don't think much of hunting it seems..............

SD,

Sounds like things are better all around.....more than what I thought. Even here........
All it takes is some scouting around I guess. We hunt woodchucks heavy in the summer months, and use that to try and locate coyote activity.

We haven't heard any, and my partner had seen two up at the north end of the county on some state land. They were a very long ways off and hunting the state lands is kind of a last resort in many cases, due to the traffic frequency up there......i.e.; skiers, hikers, hound hunters, etc........public lands get used.

That said, we haven't seen anything a little closer to our home area, until the other day. We got permission to hunt some new chuck property, and in doing so, we were advised that there's a good population of coyotes nearby....

During the first night of hunting, we heard a large pack rip off a series of howl's up in the woods above us about 700 yds away. NICE........
I guess there's a pack or two around the area, and one of the property owners wants them gone in the worst way because he loves his deer hunting, and he feels it's screwing that up.

Things are looking up I guess...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,
Bob

Hey Folks... Don't know if anyone is interested, but, Sept 15th and Sept 16 at the Bass Pro Store in Auburn, NY for their Fall Classic, I will be giving coyote seminars. I'll be sharing some of the tactics that have worked for me in my surroundings, mostly hunting the Pennsylvania coyotes. We have some tough dogs here in PA and NY, as you are well aware of. Hope to see you out at the store. Sheri Baity Pro Staff Lohman/Mad Game Calls

Sheri,

Oh, were always interested, I'm sure.

Don't know if I can go personally due to family commitments, but it'd definitely be worth the trip. Love to see different caller's showcase their wares.

Good time & you always learn something.....

Take care,
Bob

Quote:
FYI - saw 2 live coyotes off 84 in Fishkill 2 weeks ago, and one roadkilled pup. Dutchess county has been hot for the last 5 years, and is probably a safe bet for some good pred hunting.

Columbia county in Hillsdale and Copake on the Massachusetts border has always been good coyote hunting. I still hunt preds there on occassion, but land is getting harder to come by as it changes hands, or becomes developed. Many of my old contacts have moved on, sold or died. Youngs folks don't think much of hunting it seems..............

I hunt in Columbia county- most of the farms are being sold and parceled off, and the majority of the prime land is already developed or in process. I don't think neccessarily it is the young people. I come into contact with a LOT of landowners old and newer to the area - and the majority of them are not pro-hunting, and the ones that are have had the same people hunting for years. Not easy to hunt here, Its my understanding at one time it was.

Last edited:
Back