NYS Coyote Hunters

I've seen two coyotes kill a fox on the bottom of Letchworth Park river gorge many moons ago.
You had to see it to believe it.

It was so well choreographed, and happened with such precision that both coyotes, who hit the fox from differing angles, hit the fox at literally the same moment. The fox let out only a short squeal before being torn literally in half.

I had my handgun (Contender) with me and was sitting about 300ft. up off of the river bottom. This whole thing took place a few hundred yards away and was well out of range. I never saw the coyotes (at all) until they bolted out to grab this fox that I had been watching for some time.

It was a "Holy Sh*t" kind of moment.....

When a coyote, or coyote's decide to attack something (like those two labs) they do it with such viciousness, and speed, it's almost hard to imagine. More than likely those two labs were just fat old happy family dogs, and probably didn't offer much resistance.

I always believed that coyotes "size up" their targets very well. Apparently so......

Take care,
Bob

Wow!! That was some kind of day. I'd still be out there trying to run those dogs down. It's a shame you didn't have the 50BMG for the across the valley shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well at least you found a good spot. Now you need to secure permission on that piece of property to help preserve the whiteltail population.

Must have felt like watching tuna crashing bait but not being able to trick em into accepting your offerings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well at least you heard and saw something. Makes for an exiciting day to say the least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Knock Em',

During this time of year, my best opportunities happen when I sneak into the woods in the dark, and watch out into the fields along the edges. Being that the open areas light up quicker than the inner woods, I can easily spot them crossing fields along the brushy edges, or cutting corners.

Dennis and I have had those opportunities many times like that over the years. Popping over a rise, several years back, we saw a lone coyote making his way back to his den (we figured). He was manged pretty badly on his back end, and was about 500-600yards off. Dennis lay prone with his .243 Mauser, and ripped off a round, which landed just below the dogs chest. He racked in another round, as the dog (in deep snow) spun in a circle to run, and fired..... another miss.

This is the time of year (mating season) that I'll sit the more open fields, where I can observe large expanses of a combination of several different types of terrain. Being able to see into the woods, like you guys did, is good.
I like doing that myself.....I also prefer to be elevated if it can be done. A treestand is nice, but can be dangerous right about now. I'll sit high ridges, or ravine points, watching the bottoms like a hawk.

Dennis and I headed out yesterday late, but like a dummy that has to "push it" all the time, I got the Tahoe buried in a drift trying to get into the area. The whole area is open fields and was a "drifty mess".

It took an hour to get the truck out, and when we headed back (on foot) into the area we hunt, the drifts were so bad that it made going extremely tough. Dennis is about 180lbs. of body weight, and I'm about 265. Normally when were out hunting in 5 or 6 inches of snow, I'm usually walking well ahead most often, but yesterday...man I was dying.

Just fighting off the tailend of bronchitis, and my feet breaking through the knee deep snow, Dennis trekked on ahead and I cut off into the woods, where I thought walking was going to be easier walking......nope, much worse......bad choice.

As luck would have it, Dennis was able to stay on top of the crust for the most part and my fat a$$ would stay on top long enough so that when I went to shift my weight to lift my other foot, my "placed foot" would drop through right to my knee....
I'm not in "marathon" shape or nothing, but at almost 50, I'm not in all that bad of shape either......this little jog was kickin' my butt.

I haven't used snowshoes in many years after leaving the north country, but this would've been a prime area and time for them.
I finally gave up and headed back towards the truck, through an area where I could see where the snow wasn't as deep. I stopped at a spot about 100yds back from the woods where I could oversee the whole north face of it. Dennis was on the southside of it.

Dennis mentioned that when he tried to cut into the woods to setup, he dropped through to his waist in several spots. We held until dark, calling off & on, and then called it quits.
Bad idea I guess......or just bad location....for now.

Take care,
Bob

Bob,

I'm busting a gut laughing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I can "see" the scenario now. I used to have a Yukon. When they get buried, they're buried. Then you stand there shaking your head saying "d*mn, why'd I try to do that?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

And plowing through the snow, even with snow shoes my butt got whipped. Guess it's time to stop pretending we're 23 years old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Perri,

Yeah, it's one heavy SUV......I guess it's over 5000lbs. somewhere. Nowadays, that's heavy.

Also, when I bought it, it had a more "road type" BF Goodrich tire on it, and I like a bigger profile and a little more aggressive tread for light off road use. Nothing radical, just a little more bite in the mud & snow.

The tread on these tires is pretty much straight line, if you get me. Not much good for anything other than cutting road noise.

I actually enjoy a little cardio-workout when I'm hunting, but this was kickin' my a$$ in a big way. Sweat like a hog, then freeze afterwards.
Being heavier than Dennis I was dropping in on just about every step, right up to my knee. Dennis stayed up on the crust for the majority of it, but would drop through here & there.
The walking was like the snow's crust appearing like it was going to hold you and you'd just get up on it, then all of a sudden, when you'd shift your weight to take a step, down you'd go.
Very labor instensive walking, I'll tell you.......

After watching the news........I think I'll be heading down to Mayville for some shooting............Coyotes are getting brave down there......

Take care,
Bob

Fred,

I'd make that drive.......sounds like it could possibly be easy pickin's maybe ?????????

They got a big news clip on that coyote attack down in Mayville, NY, where a pack of coyotes (4 or 5) attacked these two cross country skier's dog's that were out running with them. Killed both dogs, and one was partially eaten they said.....

I ought to call Dennis for a mid week day off, and take a run down there.....

Good luck guys,
Bob

I concur with Bob.
Get out there and give it a try.

Remember, they're out there laughing at you...... you're not going to let them get away with that, are you? The dignity of all NYS Coyote hunters is at stake man!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

If there's absolutely no way you can hunt, just PM me the exact location and Goggle Map overlay and I'll see if I can shoot down there and teach those evil demons a lesson. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Perri

Thought I would say Hi to everyone, joined a few days ago just found this sub menu. Good luck too everyone, going out here in a little while.

I put this on the "Calling in the East" main page. But it needs repeating...

I'm from around the Albany area of NY. The past month there has been 3 local counties with rabid animals. Not only raccoons but fox and just the past couple of days a 20 lb fisher attacked an elderly woman in a suburb. The coyote population has exploded in this area in the past few years. If this spreads to a 40+ lb coyote we're all in trouble. But of course in NY you can only shoot them until March 25. Just be careful with your kills. You don't know what carrion these things have eaten from. a few years back I dispatched a rabid raccoon in my back yard with a my bow. The animal control officer told me if I wanted to keep the arrows to pour bleach over them. LOL I needed new arrows anyway. Good luck guys.

Welcome wmig2.............

Great sport.......fun time !

Bgunit68...

I had to go through the series of shots back in the mid-90's somewhere. I had to go shoot a coon that was acting goofy and while shovelling him (carefully) into a plastic garbage bag, his blood dripped onto my hand where I had open cuts from laying block.
Well, I figured I better not take a chance, so I reported it to my boss, and down to the ER I went.

On the first visit you get 6 shots. 2 big ones in the a$$, and 4 more.....2 in each arm.

After that......1 a month for the next four months.

No matter....it sure beats the old method of getting those long needles through the stomach......

Sometimes just trying to be careful isn't enough, but it's the first line of defense.

Take care guys,
Bob

Bgunit68:

A good discussion of extending the coyote season in NY is going on over at CoyoteMaster. If not to get involved, it makes good reading. There seems to be a few issues to both sides of the story and they're all discussed there.

Good hunting for a few more weeks!

-JohnE

I have been coyote hunting for about three years. I'm yet to get one on the ground. I have only called in a few that I actually saw. I have the FX3 now hoping to increase my odds. Had one going other night, wasn't happy with my coyote female invitation. I'm thinking it was another female because it was replying with warning barks or challenge barks. It was about a quarter mile away, waited about 45 minutes. Good luck.

I'm all for open season all year round as it is in P.A. No limits. These keen predators will survive. Like somebody stated in another post your hunting the hunter and your not the favorite. Good luck knock em dead.

wmig2 - we've been at it for the last two and half years. First year nothing, Second year had them coming in and 218 Bee even shot and hit one. We tracked it for a mile and half in the dark till 100 am and nothing. This year, made 19 setups till I shot and recovered my first one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Keep at it, your day will come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

welcome wmig,

Keep at it, they'll come. I go out quite frequently and do exponentially more chasing than shooting. For me it's the quality of the experience. Next time you hit that spot go in from a different angle and use some other sounds. By locating them, you've got half that battle licked.

Good hunting!!

Thanks guys I can't wait for the wind to calm down. I don't go out when it's 10+ mph. The full moon is great. Waiting for a break in the wind. I have a great spot on rte 12 that I haven't hit since October. I got caught setting up. I started the call and a coyote started the warning bark running away. I seen more coyote tracks than deer tracks last weekend of deer season. Waiting for perfect conditions. The farm has lost three calves over the last year. Thanks good luck

Back