Ruger 17 Hornet

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdon't mean it to sound like a "my dad can beat up your dad" kinda thing,

but

i bet my ugly savage m25 17hh can outshoot your ruger m77 17hh.

prove me wrong.
tt2.gif

laugh.gif

Can I wait until its safe for old men to go outside and share habitat with others...? If not, my groups will only be from about 50 feet......

sure, you can wait. but i'm old and i hear this china flu jacks old men up pretty bad. sometimes kills em even. china juju fluju could do me in at any time. so take that into consideration.

Parson, I'll trade a six pack of unused toilet tissue and a partial bottle of hand sanitizer for your Ruger.

Shipped!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogParson, I'll trade a six pack of unused toilet tissue and a partial bottle of hand sanitizer for your Ruger.

Shipped!!

Sorry but my wife scored a bunch of toilet paper at a small rural town Dollar store and I had enough 90 some % alcohol on hand to mix with my wife’s aloe, so we are sitting good, but thanks for the considerate offer but would have felt guilty taking advantage of your generosity

Man don't give up on your Ruger yet. It may come around and surprise you yet.

As far as hand sanitizer. I bought a quart of Everclear and some glycerin. 95 proof hand sanitizer!!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMan don't give up on your Ruger yet. It may come around and surprise you yet.

As far as hand sanitizer. I bought a quart of Everclear and some glycerin. 95 proof hand sanitizer!!!

95 proof is only 471/2 %, they say you need at least 90+ % mixed 2/3 to 1/3

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdon't mean it to sound like a "my dad can beat up your dad" kinda thing,

but

i bet my ugly savage m25 17hh can outshoot your ruger m77 17hh.

prove me wrong.
tt2.gif

laugh.gif

Can I wait until its safe for old men to go outside and share habitat with others...? If not, my groups will only be from about 50 feet......

sure, you can wait. but i'm old and i hear this china flu jacks old men up pretty bad. sometimes kills em even. china juju fluju could do me in at any time. so take that into consideration.

You'll make it just fine as long as you don't buy hand sanitizer from psycho. He has trouble ciphering numbers and he might try to sell ya' some bad bug juice that he mixed up when he couldn't remember the formula. It might smell like PBR and attract flies.

Keep an eye out at the big farm and garden stores, most places sell gallon jugs of 99% isopropyl alcohol around the livestock isles.

I've been eyeballing a .17 for years but I dont know what I would ever use it on. Plus theres an added expense for oddball components like cleaning rods just for how tiny the bore is.

What sort of groups are typical at 100 or 200 yards and different velocities at 200 or 300 yards with different center fire .17s?

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerKeep an eye out at the big farm and garden stores, most places sell gallon jugs of 99% isopropyl alcohol around the livestock isles.

I've been eyeballing a .17 for years but I dont know what I would ever use it on. Plus theres an added expense for oddball components like cleaning rods just for how tiny the bore is.

What sort of groups are typical at 100 or 200 yards and different velocities at 200 or 300 yards with different center fire .17s?

The most accurate 17 I ever had was a 17 Squirrel that I built on a Cadet action back when I was still gunsmithing. 3 holes touching at 100 was a piece of cake. The only other one besides the present Hornet was a Contender carbine in 17 Remington. It would not stabilize 25 Hornadys but everything else would shoot about an inch. Know a guy who has a #1 in 17 Hee Bee that put them in one hole. They are capable of good accuracy but fussy.

parson, I hope that you get your rifle to shoot better than it is now. Like you stated, you made a pretty good investment and you should be able to expect more. Hopefully it will happen.

I'm anxious to get out and shoot mine as soon as his cornavirus thing gets whipped. My wife has an imuno deficiency so we're both staying close to home without me straying too far for unneeded things right now. We are good to go in all ways but no need in pushing the envelope right now for totally frivolous things........

Until we get back to normal, your results so far will have me wondering about my Ruger. Good luck to you in all ways.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fanparson, I hope that you get your rifle to shoot better than it is now. Like you stated, you made a pretty good investment and you should be able to expect more. Hopefully it will happen.

I'm anxious to get out and shoot mine as soon as his cornavirus thing gets whipped. My wife has an imuno deficiency so we're both staying close to home without me straying too far for unneeded things right now. We are good to go in all ways but no need in pushing the envelope right now for totally frivolous things........

Until we get back to normal, your results so far will have me wondering about my Ruger. Good luck to you in all ways.

Hopefully if weather forecast is correct I will get out Friday and try again also need to pattern my turkey gun

Originally Posted By: parson
also need to pattern my turkey gun

Boy won't you be pizzed if your turkey gun ends up shooting tighter than your Ruger 17 Hornet.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: parson
also need to pattern my turkey gun

Boy won't you be pizzed if your turkey gun ends up shooting tighter than your Ruger 17 Hornet.
scared.gif

Good point

I have no experience with the 17H, but I have almost 30 years worth on the 22H and Ruger M77.

With such a small case as the Hornet, small changes, such as .2gr powder charge and the chosen primer, can make a huge difference in accuracy.

I'd imagine a 17H can be more fickle.

So, if you haven't already, try a small pistol primer, of several varieties, and see what happens.

My Ruger and a buddies identical Ruger, both shot much better with small pistol primers and LilGun powder. The max amount of Lilgun I can get into most brands of 22 Hornet cases is 13.0gr, but that is also where both rifles shoot the best.

I do have one load that shoots great using 13.0gr Lilgun and a Rem 71/2. so it helps to try several variables.

When I bought my Ruger 77/22 Hornet, I never expected bug hole groups. Most of the time it shoots 1/2 in at 100 yards. Most of the time! And I can hit a 3" dinger at 200 so its doing about all I expected. But its fun to shoot and pretty cheap to shoot as well. Lil Gun and Rem 6 1/2 primers are it main diet with a 35 grain V-Max or a Sierra 40 grain HP. Both shoot good in my rifle.

My 77/22 was similar to what others say about theirs, little gun, small pistol and 40gr Nosler. one of strangest things about mine that I have experienced in my over 60 years of shooting experience is that it shot 7/8 in. at 100 and did the same 7/8 at 200. I know the physics says that can’t be, but I shot enough groups to know that’s exactly what it would/could do time and time again.

Just throwing out a suggestion, you might give Ruger a call and tell them whats going on. They might want to check your rifle out. If you haven't called them already.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogJust throwing out a suggestion, you might give Ruger a call and tell them whats going on. They might want to check your rifle out. If you haven't called them already.

No idea what Ruger’s standard for accuracy is today, but when I was gunsmithing it was 11/2 in. at a 100 with factory ammo and on a good day mine will do that. Some of you younger guys may find it hard to believe but when I first started gunsmithing most manufacturers of both rifles and ammunition figured 3 in. was good enough. One of my first jobs when apprenticeing was to take rifles to the range to check for accuracy when customers complained they wouldn’t shoot. If they shot less than 3 in. We would try to tweek them but the factories wouldn’t touch them.

Originally Posted By: parson one of strangest things about mine that I have experienced in my over 60 years of shooting experience is that it shot 7/8 in. at 100 and did the same 7/8 at 200. I know the physics says that can’t be, but I shot enough groups to know that’s exactly what it would/could do time and time again.

you think that is strange, i have read (and some of those readings have been right here on this board) of rifles that shoot 1" at a 100yds and 1/2" or 1/4" at 200 yards.

sometimes even swearing that the rifle shoots smaller groups at 300 than 100.

maybe i have been unlucky in 50 years of shooting rifles, but i never had one that would do that kinda voodoo magic.
scared.gif

Back