Hogster-R 35mm As A Weapon's Sight

Originally Posted By: VanceThis is great video and no more flashing crosshairs either. I had assumed that was the NG inc dvr, but you mentioned it was not. But now I’m wanting this Luminiers dvr, however there does not seem to be any in stock anywhere.

On another note thanks Korey for the throw lever idea for the focus knob! The difficulty of finding the focus ring with gloves on was my only real complaint with my Hogster. This quick easy mod makes all the difference. Watch the getfpv.com site as they are out of stock now, but get shipments in every once in awhile. You are welcome on the tip on the throw lever. I run them on most of my thermal scopes and ran it on my Wraith earlier this year as well. It makes focusing your scope so much easier.

Originally Posted By: VanceThis is great video and no more flashing crosshairs either. I had assumed that was the NG inc dvr, but you mentioned it was not. The earlier videos with the flashing reticle was a DVR called the FXT DVR. This is a good solution if you need to stream to a phone or tablet. The main downside is the battery life is very poor and it doesn't accept 5v power as it requires a DC 7~28V connection to charge. It also makes the reticle and icons jittery although the main video is very good, and it is extremely compact.

I just ordered a Hogster-R 35mm. After watching your videos and reading your reviews I chose this to temporarily replace my Pulsar Trail XP50 that I've been very disappointed with. I'm sure it will not let me down like the Pulsar.

I think your going to be happy with it, though I have no pulsar experience. That said I keep seeing these vids coming from 640 core units and I'm here thinking dang, my Hogster looks better!

Originally Posted By: Kirsch

After watching this video, another one of your videos popped up from Oct 2019. I like that call remote mount on your tripod. Is that something available to buy, or did you make it? Sorry if you've already explained it in a previous post.

I have been asked this question a few times in the past. Here is a post where I show close up pictures of it, and include links to what I purchased.

Thanks Korey for your great feedback on the Hogsters. I am interested in purchasing for a second weapon for either a hunting partner a backup scanner (already have a clip-on and a scanner). I live in southern OH, so open fields aren't plentiful...more like 200-300 yards max & then wood lines or hills. In your opinion, would the 25mm be enough to suit my needs? From watching your video on the 25 vs 35 comparison, it seems the most noticeable difference was the clarity in background with a little less resolution in the object. Appreciate it! ...and thanks for the remote mount link...just ordered...

Originally Posted By: RRyuI am interested in purchasing for a second weapon for either a hunting partner a backup scanner (already have a clip-on and a scanner). I live in southern OH, so open fields aren't plentiful...more like 200-300 yards max & then wood lines or hills. In your opinion, would the 25mm be enough to suit my needs? From watching your video on the 25 vs 35 comparison, it seems the most noticeable difference was the clarity in background with a little less resolution in the object.The comparison was a little misleading because I had a Focus Extension Lever on my 35mm, so was able to get a little more precise with the focus. The difference between the two is really the FOV and magnification.

1.4x native magnification and 14.9 x 11.2 degree FOV on the 25mm
2.x native magnification and 10.7 x 8 degree FOV on the 35mm

The only other two differences are the end cap and the base. The end cap on the 25 is a plastic cap that you push on and then hangs free when not in use. The 35mm has a Butler Creep cap. I prefer the cap on the 35mm. Also, the base is different on the 25mm and 35mm if you order from Night Goggles. The 35mm has a lock on the lever for the base and the 25mm does not and they have a slightly different base adjustment option. I prefer the base on the 35mm, personally. The last difference is price with the 35mm being roughly $300 more expensive.

I typically tell people if you shoot 150 yards or less, then go for the 25mm. If you want the ability to consistently shoot past 150 yards, then go for the 35mm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KirschI have been asked this question a few times in the past. Here is a post where I show close up pictures of it, and include links to what I purchased.

Ordered, should be here tomorrow. Thanks!!

I realize this is downright ugly, but it works. The cables from both the Hogster and the Lumenier DVR are extremely long. I have tried to replace them with shorter cables, and nothing seems to work besides the originals.

What I did is take the TRB Battery pack from Night Goggles, and velcroed the Lumenier DVR to the side. I then took both of the default cables that came with each device and connected them with a female-female adapter. The TRB battery pack can be used for power for the DVR (or scope but causes some distortion) as well as provide a connection point (picatinny connection) to the gun. In addition to all the cables, I had the Lumenier power cable that I ran from the TRB to the DVR. In with all those cords is also the rocker cable. I velcroed the rocker switch to the top of the TRB battery pack housing. I then took a Velcro strap and bound everything together.

This is not pretty but it works. On my gun, I have a 90 degree Picatinny Adapter this allows me to get the TRB out of the way of the action of the AR as well as not interfere with the scope.
Lumenier1.jpg

Lumenier2.jpg

I know the picture isn't of the Hogster, as my Flir was on my coyote gun but same set up just plugged into different scope for picture purposes. If I move this to another gun, it is very easy as I could have a 90 adapter on any gun I move it to.

I am sure someone could come up with some type of strap that would go on a stock, etc and make this work vs what I did, but I wanted something portable that I could take off and on without any tools.

Hey Korey, have you or Tom had any experience with the Bering Optics Prodigy monocular? If so, what are your thoughts?

I did do some testing on the new 640 Bering Optic scanner called the phenom. It has many positive features. My biggest suggestion to them was the contrast setting seemed too high, and in the demo version I received, there was no way to adjust it. I also did some testing on their mini product. The price is incredibly reasonable, but I did not like the viewfinder. These are the only prodigy-type scanners I have used.

I finally ordered a Hogster 35mm last Friday. After seeing all these amazing vids that Kirsch posts, I couldn’t resist any longer. Kirsch pointed me in the right direction , Tom from Night Goggles took good care of me.

I can’t wait to get it strapped to top of a gun and to the range. Anticipation is killing me! Lol

Originally Posted By: Shooter222I finally ordered a Hogster 35mm last Friday. After seeing all these amazing vids that Kirsch posts, I couldn’t resist any longer. Kirsch pointed me in the right direction , Tom from Night Goggles took good care of me.

I can’t wait to get it strapped to top of a gun and to the range. Anticipation is killing me! Lol Congrats on your purchase. I'm not sure if this will make your wait easier or more difficult. I just posted a video of 6 coyotes I recently shot while using the Hogster. The video can be viewed on this post.

Korey, been following your reviews and recordings with the Hogster R35 as am waiting on one to get in at my local dealer to get one as a second scope (primary is the XP50 LRF). It looks very capable and you have proved it to be. Just wondering would you say the posted recordings on Youtube are better, worse, or pretty much accurate as to what you are seeing throught the scope. Wish we had your kind of action here in my area but things are tough lately and it's usually harder to get the kind of action guys out west can get. Looks like they are lining up to get shot in ND by your recent posts. LOL. I know it's not even apples to oranges comparison between area's but it sure makes a guy a little envious.

Back