Hogster-R 35mm As A Weapon's Sight

I would say the videos are probably 80% as good as what it looks like through the eyepiece. It isn't night and day difference, but it is still better through the eyepiece.

As far as action in ND, it has been an extremely tough winter. To show how bad it was, there were two tournaments I know of in early January that a total of 2 coyotes won both tournaments. In addition, one of the tournaments only had 3 coyotes brought in for the entire tournament. I just wanted to warn those packing their trucks to head to ND because the coyotes are lining up to be shot, it isn't as easy it may look. I know of a group from Wisconsin that had roughly a dozen guys and hunted for more than a week in my home territory and they shot 14 and they even used dogs. The secret to my success is I have been doing this for 35+ years, I have spent a lot of those years building land owner relations, and I create my own GPS maps which help me tremendously.

Well heck, guess I'll go unpack the truck. LOL. Was just envious of your recent success. Know you have experienced a difficult winter so great you can make up for it a little. Just having a little fun with you. Probably the only activity I'm having now is hunting with this covid-19 expanding as rapidly and as serious as it is. Trying to isolate my activities as much as possible. Being a farmer I can still lay low for awhile but my wife; being a bank president, can't. And with the virus taking as much as 14 days to manifest symptoms is people someone can go walking around spreading it a long time in a worst case scenario. The more they research this the more it looks like it can be easily transmitted. Any way keep up the success.

Just ordered a Hogster-R 35mm. Can't wait to get it and see how it performs. If it does well I may pick up a 25mm as a scanner/backup so my buddies can join me

I received mine yesterday. I looked out into field behind house last night. All I can say is wow! I will have to learn the menus over the next few days. But from first view, I’m very impressed.

I hope to sight it in one of the next few nights.

Can someone answer if I need to sight it in once it’s equal to outside temp or does temp not seem to affect the POI accuracy?

Last edited:
I have not done anything different for temp. I take it out and sight it in. Make sure the little retention nut on the side has the mount really snug. Lock down the mount (if using the 35mm from Night Goggles), and then go sight it in. Once sighted in, I write down the X,Y (Horizontal and Vertical numbers) on my phone for each gun I use it on even if just being used on one gun.

I also take a picture of it on my picatinny rail, in the event I remove it, to makes sure I get back in the exact same rail position.

Thank you.

Sighted in tonight.
No problems . Took 4 shots total. 1st two for a poi and then froze screen and moved to heat/bullet marks. Then shot twice to confirm. 3/4” 2 shot group. Cold barrel.

Now to hunt this weekend!

Thanks to Kirsch and Tom @ NG.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Got mine today. So far, I'm really impressed with the picture. Glad to hear you are liking it. FYI, if you want to use it as a scanner vs a weapon's sight, hold down all three buttons and the reticle will disappear. Press all three buttons again, and hold and it reappears, set to the same profile, color, etc.

Originally Posted By: Shooter222Sighted in tonight.
No problems . Took 4 shots total. Thanks to Kirsch and Tom @ NG. Glad we could help. Looking forward to hearing about your future hunts.

So far, my initial thoughts...

If the hogster had more magnification, my IR Hunter would stay at home. I might change my mind, when I get a chance to hunt with it, but we'll see.

Hope to have mine soon. Will give comparison report on it compared to my Pulsar XP50 LRF. Dealer that has it looked through it and said "pretty [beeep] awesome for a 336, especially on low power".

Back