Insight on a versatile caliber

Originally Posted By: FrankmBalancing performance, cost, availability, etc and a 223 is a very well rounded cartridge. what bullet would you choose for Fox

I have been shooting: Federal American Eagle 5.56 NATO Ammunition XM855 FMJ 62 Grains.
I have been shooting for many years. It is good in a mild wind, Fur friendly.
It has a good crimp and is good for 200 yards, plus. Cheap ammo. Bolt or AR.

Do you not like the idea of 55-65 gr Sierra Game Kings in 223? Or do you like the idea of pointy plastic bullets?

17 hornet sounds like a crazy idea in a thread with a title asking about versatile calibers and you dont reload ammo and you wont even be able to use that peas shooter in restricted areas... pass me what you're smoking.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerDo you not like the idea of 55-65 gr Sierra Game Kings in 223? Or do you like the idea of pointy plastic bullets?

17 hornet sounds like a crazy idea in a thread with a title asking about versatile calibers and you dont reload ammo and you wont even be able to use that peas shooter in restricted areas... pass me what you're smoking.
Are you going to give input or just indirectly complain? I asked because I’m new to it. I’m not too concerned with the restricted areas, I can borrow a 17WSM for down there

So if you aren't worried about restriction why would your first choice be 17 hornet?

I've never seen ammo on the shelf and it's the same caliber as my first airgun I got as a kid, heavies bullets are 20gr? Maybe 25gr? Not versatile at all, barely passable for coyotes in perfect conditions.

This fox was shot 3 times with 65 SGK.
49229269933_86940905e6_c.jpg

I would be perfectly comfortable shooting this ammo at a bobcat with a $1000 pelt or a trophy whitetail, that's versatility.

If you want versatile get a 223, ammo everywhere that will be passable from ground squirrels to whitetail. Take that out hunting and practice with cheap ammo a lot and in a few years if you aren't really digging the 223 by that time you will have some experience and have a better idea what exactly you want.

.222 is a good fox/coyote gun caliber but it is hard to beat the .223 offering a vast array of choices factory new and reloads. Good price too.
The .223 can be downloaded to match most sub caliber loads.

One of the big advantages to something 22 caliber such as a 223, compared to 17 or 20 cal, is the huge array of bullet choice. Hide damage is as much about bullet choice as it is what it was shot from. Even with factory ammo, something like a 223 will give you a, MUCH, bigger selection to choose from.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I have been shooting: Federal American Eagle 5.56 NATO Ammunition XM855 FMJ 62 Grains.

Shooting animals with Fmj ammo may be the single worst advice I've ever seen on this site!

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerSo if you aren't worried about restriction why would your first choice be 17 hornet?

I've never seen ammo on the shelf and it's the same caliber as my first airgun I got as a kid, heavies bullets are 20gr? Maybe 25gr? Not versatile at all, barely passable for coyotes in perfect conditions.

I would be perfectly comfortable shooting this ammo at a bobcat with a $1000 pelt or a trophy whitetail, that's versatility.

Who brags about having to shoot a fox 3 times? Some people are too arrogant to admit failure.

Originally Posted By: B23One of the big advantages to something 22 caliber such as a 223, compared to 17 or 20 cal, is the huge array of bullet choice. Hide damage is as much about bullet choice as it is what it was shot from. Even with factory ammo, something like a 223 will give you a, MUCH, bigger selection to choose from. agree completely. Unfortunately I’m not well versed in that area either. I’m all ears if anyone is willing to help me out. I’d much rather shoot a common caliber like 223 for ease, but I always thought that would beat up a fox

To the OP, honestly this is a game of trial and error. I don't think everyone should hunt the way I do. Figure out what works for you. If I fail or my equipment fails I figure out a better way. (if I had to shoot a fox 3 times I'd recognize either my bullet wasn't efficient or my gun was off, or my marksmanship is terrible, but I would definitely be changing something) For years I've carried 2 guns to daytime stands because a shotgun is significantly more efficient under 50 yds.

If you like the idea of a 17 give it a try. Understand the limitations. If it doesn't work try something else.

FMJs are NEVER, EVER, applicable to hunting animals. Unless you're a d-bag know-it-all city boy that's happier than a puppy with 2 peckers to have his first assault rifle and walks around in army fatigues! The world has enough of those.

Originally Posted By: nightcallerTo the OP, honestly this is a game of trial and error. I don't think everyone should hunt the way I do. Figure out what works for you. If I fail or my equipment fails I figure out a better way. (if I had to shoot a fox 3 times I'd recognize either my bullet wasn't efficient or my gun was off, or my marksmanship is terrible, but I would definitely be changing something) For years I've carried 2 guns to daytime stands because a shotgun is significantly more efficient under 50 yds.

If you like the idea of a 17 give it a try. Understand the limitations. If it doesn't work try something else.
I figured the only honest response is exactly what you said here. I guess I was just hoping for an easy answer to the “what caliber is best for my scenario” question. I think I’ll snag the 17hornet for now and see how things go for a while. I think I’ll be able to resell the gun for the same amount or more if I decide to part ways with it

Originally Posted By: nightcallerOriginally Posted By: willy1947

Shooting animals with Fmj ammo may be the single worst advice I've ever seen on this site! agreed.... right up there with bragging about needing 3 shots on a fox

Last edited:
I'm in northeast Ohio,shots average 150,22 hornet,in CZ,527,i've killed coyotes with it easily. I also have a 204 when ranges go over 200,I love both calibers. And the 22 when shooting over bait,drops em also. I can advise which rounds work best,i've had one get away in 5 years and recovered him some ways off,the shot was bad but he still died.

Originally Posted By: nightcallerOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerSo if you aren't worried about restriction why would your first choice be 17 hornet?

Who brags about having to shoot a fox 3 times? Some people are too arrogant to admit failure.

Lol, you tit, I showed and said that so it could be seen what happens when everything goes wrong with a good bullet. Can you find the bullet holes?

I could have shot it a 4th time just to make sure and you wouldnt know and that ammo will take down whitetail easy and has BC not even on the same playing field as 17 cals.

If you're arguing the versatility of this ammo vs a .17 you need to get out to the woods and off the internet.

If you reload, a .22 Hornet would be a good choice and would do both very well with the right load. You wouldnt have to buy more cleaning stuff for it (.17 cal rod/brush/patches/jag) and you would cut cost on ammo by handloading it pretty cheap.

The 17 WSM and the 17 Hornet aren't that different, the Hornet is just a little faster.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rimfire/17-wsm-20-gr-v-max#!/

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/17-hornet-20-gr-v-max-superformance-varmint#!/

Try a Hornet and see how it works for you.

I have a 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, a 223, and a 22-250. I had a 204 Ruger and sold it. I like the 204 best of the bunch, but wanted it in a different gun and am going to build another one. I just like the performance of the 35 Bergers on game.

My hunting partner has a 22 Hornet and a 222. For all around guns, I would pass on the Hornets. I like them a lot, but prefer something with a little more punch. If I didn't handload, I wouldn't own any 17 centerfire for predator hunting, the ammo selection isn't that great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nightcallerI think you make my point better than I do. A 22cal bullet that works on whitetail apparently doesn't do so well on fox.

They were bad shots on a running fox. I had less than three seconds between spotting and shooting and it died feet away from the call and it was the first fox I've had not drop on the spot but that was my fault. That's why i like the AR, 1-2-3 almost that fast you can know an animal is quickly killed.

If you make a mistake with a .17 bolt action you end up with a wounded lost animal, especially coyote, I do whatever possible to prevent that.

Back