Some from 2019, and the first of 2020

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
I've been somewhat remiss in posting this season's experiences. To play catch-up, I'll share a few pictures.

In early November, Matt1953 and I started the furbearer season with a couple coyotes.

Troy1Nov2019Female-L.jpg

Matt1Nov2019Male-L.jpg

For then next few weeks, I got to focus on deer and elk hunts and Thanksgiving with the family. By mid-December, it was time to go again, so Matt and I hit the desert.

Matt12Dec2019Male-L.jpg

Added some surf to the normal turf.
Troy12Dec2019Widgeon-L.jpg

Troy12Dec2019Female-L.jpg

The PTG AR-15 ready for action.
PTG-ARonstand-L.jpg

Right before Christmas I sneaked out for a therapeutic day alone in the desert. Despite a couple fumbles, I was able to connect on a couple.

Troy22Dec2019KitFoxFemale-L.jpg

Troy22Dec2019Male-L.jpg

And, finally, to start 2020, a couple of the kids and I squeezed in three stands this morning before we had to play mechanic (brake job on the wife's car). On the first stand, we called in a pair. We took a crack at the first one, but missed. The female hung around a bit too long and I was able to thread a bullet through the brush to get the first of the decade.

Troy5Jan2020FemaleErikSarah-L.jpg

GREAT Pic's Thanks for sharing your Hunts-----WTG with the Kids Those are memories to last a lifetime --

svb

Nice pix, Troy, thanks for sharing. Great memories with the kids! Any Oryx in the near future?

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Nice pix, Troy, thanks for sharing. Great memories with the kids! Any Oryx in the near future?

Regards,
hm

Thanks hm. Yes, the eldest has her once-in-a-lifetime trophy oryx hunt on WSMR in late February. Stay tuned.

We have made it out a few more times, and rather that start a new thread, I'll just add to this one.

On January 11, I met up with Matt1953 and our old friend Toro, who has been so busy with work that he doesn't get to call much, let alone post on the internet. After a quick stop for a breakfast sandwich, the happy hunting trio headed out into the desert. We stopped next to this Christmas remnant to get our gear ready.
XmasMesquite-L.jpg

Over the course of the day we made 11 stands. We had takers on two of those stands. On the third stand Matt and I called in a nice female. Unlike most this year, she came in fast, and within 1.5 minutes she rounded a mesquite bush in the right foreground and met both a cloud of BB shot and a .224 caliber bullet. See her crumpled up there right near the caller?

TroyMatt11Jan2020FemaleFallen-L.jpg

TroyMatt11Jan2020Female-L.jpg

About three minutes after starting the sixth stand, I saw a pair coming in hard from the right. As they got closer, the rear coyote slowed down considerably, leaving the leader to come in alone. As she charged the call, I gave her a bit of lead (with a long "e"), but when I shot she zigged instead of zagging and I got nothing but air. Luckily, Matt was there to back me up, and as the coyote kicked in the afterburner straight toward him, he piled her up in near self defense. Four minutes later, Matt hissed and waggled his finger straight out from the call. Soon, another coyote showed up, and this time I didn't screw it up.

TroyMattChris11Jan2020DoubleFemales-L.jpg

Last weekend included the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday, making for a three day weekend. As is becoming our tradition, my dad and I decided to use those three days wisely. Last year we traveled to western New Mexico for the weekend, but this year we opted to day-hunt from my house, so the folks made a road trip down to sunny southern New Mexico.

On the first day, we opted to explore some new country that neither of us had seen or hunted before. We looked over and called some pretty country, but only made seven stands. Most looked like this.

TerrainOverAR-L.jpg

Beautiful, but we just couldn't kick anything loose, except a few deer.

MuleDeerDoes-L.jpg

Later in the afternoon though, we did stumble onto a covey of Gambel's quail and my dad got to break in his new-to-him Citori.

Paul18Jan2020Quail-L.jpg

The next day my son got to tag along, and we headed down to the same area in which we hunted deer and coyotes in November. It was another pretty tough day. I three everything at them early in the day, but it wasn't until the sixth stand, using a hand call, that I managed to get a response. Unfortunately, a fast-running coyote back-doored Erik and me, catching us completely off-guard. Although I tried a shot as it skipped through the creosote, it lived to eat another rabbit.

On the very next stand, I spotted a coyote just seconds after starting the bird distress sound on the Shockwave. It must have been laying in the brush listening to us set up and just stoop up at 153 yards (ranged afterwards) to see what was going on. I whispered to Dad and pointed, but he couldn't get his eye on it. I didn't have a clear/safe shot past Dad, but started to shift into position in case it cut left. Nope, it turned and went straight away to nearly 300 yards. Then it cut hard left and started making tracks. For reasons known only to him, he stopped in a clear shooting lane for me (safe now). I was turned in my chair so I could use the back as an armrest, and with the rifle on the Trigger Sticks, I was rock steady. I had never shot at a coyote this far away, but I felt confident, and when the crisp trigger of my Predator Technology Group AR-15 broke, I was rewarded with the "you just shot a watermelon" sound of a solid hit. I watched as the coyote disappeared into the thick creosote. I marked the location and returned to calling. We had another coyote ghost by at about 400 yards, but neither of us had a good shot. Stand over, I headed to to look for the coyote. I found him about 35 yards from where he stood at the shot.

Troy19Jan2020MaleCoyote-L.jpg

I ranged back to my dad and discovered the coyote had been 332 yards from me, the farthest shot I have ever taken on an animal in all my years hunting. We sneaked in one more stand while looking around for javelina for the kid, but we found neither predators nor peccaries.

For day three, it was just Dad and me again. We chose a spot closer to home to so we could get back early on a night before school and work. One minute into the first stand we had company coming in from Dad's side. It popped into view at about 300 yards, looked our way, and wandered back into the brush, never to be seen again. We assume it must have seen the truck. We also assumed things were looking up. It's not often we call one on the first stand, and after two pretty tough days we were ready for some action. But you know what they say about "assume"...

Over the next six stands I tried a variety of typically productive FoxPro sounds, all to no avail. By late afternoon, I knew we needed to mix it up. So, I broke out my brand new acrylic hand calls from catwhacker and got ready to put them to use. I should have done that much sooner, because on the very next stand, I killed this pretty coyote with the Affinity at 31 yards when she came in hard at four minutes.

Troy20Jan2020Female%231Paul-L.jpg

On the next stand, I just stuck with that call, and at seven minutes we had a hard charger on Dad's side. He was armed with the rifle though, and in the tight dunes and brush he wasn't able to get a good shot. Drat! As the sun set on our third and last day, we had time for a final stand. This time we called in very thick creosote, so Dad brought his shotgun as well. We found a small dune that afforded us a few shooting lanes of up to 40 yards and started wailing away on the catwhacker closed reed. We were about out of light when, 13 minutes after I started calling, I spotted a pale coyote. She rounded a creosote bush, made a couple high jumps to catch sight of the rabbit, spotted us instead, and turned to make a fast getaway. There was just enough time for me to make a quick shot through the brush, rolling her up in a dusty ball before she was out of sight. If you look real hard, you can just see her in the small clearing below the hill just right of center, 39 yards from our sandy perch.

Troy20Jan2020Female%232Fallen-L.jpg

Here's a better shot.

Troy20Jan2020Female%232Paul-L.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your weekend, Troy. Sounds like a ton of fun. Would love to hunt an area like that first picture for a change compared to flat brush country.

Regards,
hm

Great stuff Troy. I dream about seeing open country like that (and shooting a grey fox). Sometime in the next few years we need to talk about a hunt swap, you show me some of that big country and I'll come up with something in the dark timber that might interest you! You would need to bump the shot load up from BB to Buck though.
smile.gif

Back