Some from 2019, and the first of 2020

Originally Posted By: jcs271Great stuff Troy. I dream about seeing open country like that (and shooting a grey fox). Sometime in the next few years we need to talk about a hunt swap, you show me some of that big country and I'll come up with something in the dark timber that might interest you! You would need to bump the shot load up from BB to Buck though.
smile.gif

You're on Jay! I'd love to hunt some of the different country I've seen in your photos. There's a lot of country down here that a Montana boy could stomp around in. Lots of coyotes. I don't spend much time in fox country, but I know a guy who is a great fox hunter over in AZ, so a side trip over there would put us in the game.

I used to carry #4 buck in the shotgun routinely, but this Hornady BB load has proved to be very reliable. We've shot a half dozen or more coyotes with it from 15 to 54 yards and it lays them out. Of course, with your chance at wolves, larger is better.

You oughtta put in for an oryx tag, and then spend a week after that chasing coyotes and fox in the desert with me.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamYou oughtta put in for an oryx tag, and then spend a week after that chasing coyotes and fox in the desert with me.

Filed in the back of my brain for some further research!

Originally Posted By: DesertRamWe have made it out a few more times, and rather that start a new thread, I'll just add to this one.

On January 11, I met up with Matt1953 and our old friend Toro, who has been so busy with work that he doesn't get to call much, let alone post on the internet. After a quick stop for a breakfast sandwich, the happy hunting trio headed out into the desert. We stopped next to this Christmas remnant to get our gear ready.
XmasMesquite-L.jpg

I recognize that tree. I've called in a lot of coyotes in that area the last few years.There isn't much out there besides jackrabbits and coyotes.

I know Brian, I recognize some of your pictures. I knew we were down in your normal stomping grounds. I think you killed most of them though...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BearAre the Oryx on public land?

Some are. There are various hunts available.

You can hunt premium hunts for once-in-a-lifetime trophies. Those are on the White Sands Missile Range - US Army land. You jump through a few hoops, but the hunting is good. There are some other non-premium hunts on the WSMR too.

Then there are "off-range" hunts that are on accessible public land (BLM, state, Forest Service) or private with permission. Those are harder hunts.

You can also buy landowner authorizations that allow you to buy tags, but those are only valid on the private land assigned the tag. Ted Turner has a bunch of those.

I've posted a lot about these, so search my user name and key word oryx. Then, when your eyes start to bleed and you formulate a hundred questions, shoot me a PM and we'll chat.

DesertRam,

I'm not much of a real threat to the coyote population in NM. I might get 50 or so coyotes per season. I'll educate about 25 coyotes per year that I see and I wouldn't doubt I educate another 200+ that I don't see. There are so many coyotes out there that even if I went out every day for 3 months straight, I could be calling new areas.

I've only called within 10 miles of that tree two different mornings this season. Those where two good days and I kill 5 one day and 3 the other. Last seasonI killed only a couple coyotes within 10 miles of that tree in 2 mornings and one evening. There is a lot of area close to that tree that I've never called because it is too flat or on on a side of the road that I've decided I'm not going to hunt.

Besides the BLM between Las Cruces and El Paso I normally won't call the same area more than a couple times in the season. Exploring new areas and revisiting spots from years past is half the fun in calling coyotes. I spread out my calling into a fairly large area. This year I've called the desert around Deming, T&C, Hillsboro, Hatch, Alamogordo and many places in between.

I don't know what's worse, that we all know and call the same area, or that we call that miserable little mesquite bush a tree.
smile.gif

I think that we call it a tree.

This is the only country that I've hunted that I have to use road signs, windmills, fence post and gate overhead braces to skin coyotes. Even southern AZ has trees and in southern NV I used Joshua trees, they are much stronger than yuccas.

That is sad that I called that a tree. LOL

There are no "real trees" within miles of that spot. I haven't called most areas close to that spot, so there is a good chance many of your stands were a mile or more from stands I've made this year.

I have no problem that we are calling the same general areas. Within 20 miles of that tree, we could call over 100 stands that are at least a mile apart. It would take each of us calling that general area at least 5 days every year before we "over called" it.

I'm still unsure how much calling pressure the coyotes in NM get. A few years ago I use to think many areas in NM had "virgin ears" but have come to realize there were more guys out there calling coyotes than I thought. A few weeks ago I was set up for a stand and was getting ready to start calling when I spotted 2 guys set up calling only 200 yards away. I backed out and waited down the road for them to finish their stand. Surprisingly they never saw me set up buy them and we hadn't been calling by each other another stands that morning.

I'm sure there are many coyotes that hear calls at less than 1000 yards at least once or twice per year but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of 5+ year old coyotes in NM that have never had anyone call within 1 mile of them. One thing that I do know is that there are a lot more coyotes out there than most people realize. Even in areas that I think I've killed every coyote in the area, I normally find fresh tracks within a week or two and then call in and kill the new coyote.

Back