Arizona- Sunday, May 12 is deadline to submit public comment on proposal to restrict predator hunting contests

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bradsbirds

100% have welcomed me night hunting and I'm thankfully still hunting properties secured several years ago.

100%? really? dang you are good. NOBODY i know gets those kinds of results.
unsure.gif

would you mind posting up your opening line to the land owners? i must need to work on mine.

Get a "Coyote Contests Suck" tattoo....might help you out.

Are you 100% joking?
lol.gif

Well for all of you in SUPPORT of banning contests, you got your wish.

https://www.azgfd.com/game-and-fish-comm...lling-contests/

But mark my words. Those of you thinking your type of hunting is safe...the anti's are just moving on to their next target and the day will come when your hunting is in their sights. So don't hurt yourselves patting yourselves on the back. You'll feel their wrath...we all will.

Project coyote has already put out a letter to change this new rule. They want to add “non-game animals” to the ban as well as groups hunting whether you pay/register or not. The specifically called out prairie dog shoots.

See, that didn’t take them long at all now did it?

Originally Posted By: crapshootRodents that need controlling. If they dont get that, then they probably never will.

they have to be interested in "getting it" first...

often with their heads packed full of mush... they're simply not.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76But how could you explain or defend a prairie dog shoot to a non hunter ?

How do YOU explain ANY hunting or defend your hunting to ANY non-hunter? But more to the point, I enjoy it so why should I have to explain or justify what I do to anyone? The same argument has been made countless times about firearms. I use an AR-15. There are those who don't think that I "need" one. They ask me to justify my "need" for it and I tell them the same thing.

Now, hunter to hunter, we can talk all day about why we hunt what we hunt and how. We know about the conservation model and about how hunters play a pivotal role in it. Anti-hunters just don't care and they never will. In their "minds" we don't "need" to hunt because we can buy food at Walmart. So then all we are, in their "minds" are senseless killers, or even murderers.

Look at what happens when they get their way. They banned deer hunting, and CWD appeared and the deer population nationwide plummeted. Too many animals in one area is detrimental to their health. We help to maintain balance. But anti's will never understand that.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: crapshootRodents that need controlling. If they dont get that, then they probably never will.

they have to be interested in "getting it" first...

often with their heads packed full of mush... they're simply not.

I don't think that's what their heads are packed full of considering where they have them shoved.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76But how could you explain or defend a prairie dog shoot to a non hunter ?

For that don't know, I was being sarcastic referring to a few posts on this thread.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo

How do YOU explain ANY hunting or defend your hunting to ANY non-hunter?

It can be pretty easy. Or, not. Depending. I've done it a lot. Sometimes success, sometimes not. I explained one specific real world example in this thread already.

But more to the point, I enjoy it so why should I have to explain or justify what I do to anyone?

That really is the point. And the reason is, because it's purely a political issue. Just saying to non-hunters that you enjoy it and it's none of their business so they can shove it ain't gonna win for you. Ever. Losing streak from here to eternity.

Non is not anti. Yet. But either we win the non over or we lose. The anti's are literal professionals at explaining their side to non. They use political pressure for a living. Literally! That means yes, we do have to explain some stuff to the non if we want to have even a sliver of hope. And yeah, some stuff is real hard to explain
laugh.gif

It just is what it is. Might as well face it.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAASo, I'm just going to listen, from here out. Y'all will hear no more from me on contests. But I'll be listening to what you all have to say.

- DAA

cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76But how could you explain or defend a prairie dog shoot to a non hunter ?

For that don't know, I was being sarcastic referring to a few posts on this thread.

But for a lot of people it is a legitimate point that they bring up. So I think we have to be ready to respond.

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMo

How do YOU explain ANY hunting or defend your hunting to ANY non-hunter?

It can be pretty easy. Or, not. Depending. I've done it a lot. Sometimes success, sometimes not. I explained one specific real world example in this thread already.

But more to the point, I enjoy it so why should I have to explain or justify what I do to anyone?

That really is the point. And the reason is, because it's purely a political issue. Just saying to non-hunters that you enjoy it and it's none of their business so they can shove it ain't gonna win for you. Ever. Losing streak from here to eternity.

Non is not anti. Yet. But either we win the non over or we lose. The anti's are literal professionals at explaining their side to non. They use political pressure for a living. Literally! That means yes, we do have to explain some stuff to the non if we want to have even a sliver of hope. And yeah, some stuff is real hard to explain
laugh.gif

It just is what it is. Might as well face it.

- DAA

Well stated. Good points.

I am amazed at the numbers of hunters that dont care if contests are banned. As many have stated it is just a stepping stone for the antis. And they are stepping all over your rights to hunt. What does it matter if someone gets some money for shooting the most coyotes. The G&F in AZ spends your money to ariel gun coyotes to protect Antelope fawns. A contest would be a tool to accomplish the same thing without spending money. But, I can assure you that the AZ commission is made up of politicians that cater to the liberals who want to take all hunting away. Remember trapping? Most hunters said I dont care about trapping because I dont do it and now it is gone.

You hunters are going to die of a thousand cuts.

I can tell you that in AZ when a certain group wanted to sell lots Elk tags to the rich eastern shooters there was a hew and cry from many hunters. So, the group backed up and started over with a little cut called contests. The commissioner said we have to stop hunting contests to save hunting. Fear not folks that same commissioner will be saying we have to save hunting by selling more Elk tags to rich eastern shooters.

I dont understand why hunters cant see this simple solution to fawn survival. Contests this time of year are a win win for fawn survival. Many of you are deer hunters also, why do you kill coyotes? To save bambi's, right. What does it hurt if you get a little money for it. Guides take people out for MONEY. The antis are using that big dirty word MONEY to take away hunting from you. And it is your MONEY they are using.

The snow ball is rolling down hill and picking up speed and size.

Originally Posted By: emptymagOriginally Posted By: DAASo, I'm just going to listen, from here out. Y'all will hear no more from me on contests. But I'll be listening to what you all have to say.

- DAA

cool.gif

I said nothing more about contests. But, if you'd rather I just not post at all, I'm happy to oblige.

Peace out
smile.gif

daveslc.jpg

- DAA

Originally Posted By: ThomCI am amazed at the numbers of hunters that dont care if contests are banned. As many have stated it is just a stepping stone for the antis. And they are stepping all over your rights to hunt.

We have no rights to hunt in AZ.

There are 22 states that have passed legislation to make hunting and fishing a constitutional right. If your state has passed this legislation, it is more insulated from anti hunting organizations to stop hunting and fishing. If not, hunting and fishing in your state is decided at the ballot box. Here is a link to see where your state stands.

States Where Hunting and Fishing is a Constitutional Right

In 2010, AZ voters FAILED to pass this legislation (Proposition 109). This means that hunting and fishing is not a right in AZ and is decided at the ballot box. The majority of voters in AZ do not hunt and fish, they are easily swayed by the anti's, and they decide if hunting and fishing is allowed and what methods can be used, not what science and traditional methods support.

You guys from states adjacent to AZ (CA, NV, UT, CO, NM) are in a similar position. Your states have not passed legislation to establish rights to hunt and fish. Except for CA that has fishing as a constitutional right.

Here is an example of what can happen when hunting, fishing, and trapping is not a constitutional right.

Leg hold traps were banned in AZ by a voter proposition. It did not matter that leg hold traps were the most effective tool to control predator populations. The anti's convinced the voters that trapping was barbaric, cruel, made public lands unsafe, and was not an acceptable way to take wildlife in today's society. The anti's convinced the voters by making a media event out of any conflict someone had with a leg hold trap on public land. The news media catered to the antis and supported their opinions. When the time was right, the anti's drafted a law in their own words to ban trapping on public lands in AZ. The voters passed the anti's law in a ballot proposition. The AZ Game and Fish Commission cannot reverse what the voters decide.

I believe we are falling into the anti's playbook by protecting hunting contests. When a predator contest is conducted, the anti's are making a media event out of it to put predator hunting in a negative light. The media is catering to the anti's position and fanning the flames for them. A good example of that was the media coverage for the 2015 PM Convention in Tucson. Even though PM was not conducting a predator contest, the anti's used fraud and deception to say that we were to put predator contests in the limelight and get public opposition to predator hunting AND the PM Convention.

If the anti's can convince the voters that the only reason people hunt predators is to participate in contests, the anti's may propose their own law in their wording to ban ALL predator hunting by a voter proposition. Just like they did to ban leg hold traps. It is doubtful the anti's would propose a law to only ban predator contests. They have already tried to ban hunting on bobcats and lions this year.

The AGF Commission is helping to protect predator hunting by getting out in front of this issue. Banning contests now prevents the anti's from using predator contests as justification to ban all predator hunting in a voter proposition later. There is no way to convince the voters that contests are necessary. To say they help control predator populations will not work. That concept was used to try and save leg hold traps and failed.

If hunting was a right in AZ, I would be trying to protect predator contests, but hunting is not a right. We can lose hunting and fishing at the ballot box if the voters do not support it.

Until people stop posting there hero pictures of dead coyotes all over the internet these kind of things are going to continue to happen in States. I’ve been guilt of posting pictures several years ago but don’t at all anymore especially on any social media sites.You are just fueling the fire when you do it.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: ThomCI am amazed at the numbers of hunters that dont care if contests are banned. As many have stated it is just a stepping stone for the antis. And they are stepping all over your rights to hunt.

We have no rights to hunt in AZ.

There are 22 states that have passed legislation to make hunting and fishing a constitutional right. If your state has passed this legislation, it is more insulated from anti hunting organizations to stop hunting and fishing. If not, hunting and fishing in your state is decided at the ballot box. Here is a link to see where your state stands.

States Where Hunting and Fishing is a Constitutional Right

In 2010, AZ voters FAILED to pass this legislation (Proposition 109). This means that hunting and fishing is not a right in AZ and is decided at the ballot box. The majority of voters in AZ do not hunt and fish, they are easily swayed by the anti's, and they decide if hunting and fishing is allowed and what methods can be used, not what science and traditional methods support.

You guys from states adjacent to AZ (CA, NV, UT, CO, NM) are in a similar position. Your states have not passed legislation to establish rights to hunt and fish. Except for CA that has fishing as a constitutional right.

Here is an example of what can happen when hunting, fishing, and trapping is not a constitutional right.

Leg hold traps were banned in AZ by a voter proposition. It did not matter that leg hold traps were the most effective tool to control predator populations. The anti's convinced the voters that trapping was barbaric, cruel, made public lands unsafe, and was not an acceptable way to take wildlife in today's society. The anti's convinced the voters by making a media event out of any conflict someone had with a leg hold trap on public land. The news media catered to the antis and supported their opinions. When the time was right, the anti's drafted a law in their own words to ban trapping on public lands in AZ. The voters passed the anti's law in a ballot proposition. The AZ Game and Fish Commission cannot reverse what the voters decide.

I believe we are falling into the anti's playbook by protecting hunting contests. When a predator contest is conducted, the anti's are making a media event out of it to put predator hunting in a negative light. The media is catering to the anti's position and fanning the flames for them. A good example of that was the media coverage for the 2015 PM Convention in Tucson. Even though PM was not conducting a predator contest, the anti's used fraud and deception to say that we were to put predator contests in the limelight and get public opposition to predator hunting AND the PM Convention.

If the anti's can convince the voters that the only reason people hunt predators is to participate in contests, the anti's may propose their own law in their wording to ban ALL predator hunting by a voter proposition. Just like they did to ban leg hold traps. It is doubtful the anti's would propose a law to only ban predator contests. They have already tried to ban hunting on bobcats and lions this year.

The AGF Commission is helping to protect predator hunting by getting out in front of this issue. Banning contests now prevents the anti's from using predator contests as justification to ban all predator hunting in a voter proposition later. There is no way to convince the voters that contests are necessary. To say they help control predator populations will not work. That concept was used to try and save leg hold traps and failed.

If hunting was a right in AZ, I would be trying to protect predator contests, but hunting is not a right. We can lose hunting and fishing at the ballot box if the voters do not support it.

Are you freaking kidding me? So let's all of us hunters agree that killing coyotes in a contest is not ok, but regular hunting and killing them is necessary? That's your argument for voter support ? How do you explain that? You just put the first nail in the coffin. Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough. If not to defend contest then when ? Hand calls only? No Ar15's ? As if the media can't go to a fur buyer in the winter and see a truck load of dead coyotes. Or still go to the pm convention and find things to pick at or support thier adjenda. Rolling over to be politically correct will never get you anywhere. It will only weaken your position. This doesn't mean we have to be rude or over the top and have a "can't tell me what to do " attitude either. But just explain it like it is.
Hunting is hunting. Seccessful hunters kill a lot. Contest or not. Some hunters are unethical, contest or not.
Telling a non hunter you are against contest hunting, but a big advocate of hunting predators is not going to gain you anything. Only a bunch of uneducated confused voters.

The perception of predator contests is different to non hunters than their perception of traditional hunting. Why? Because they are non hunters.

Hunting and fishing is not a right in AZ. If wildlife management is done at the ballot box, we could lose a lot more than just predator contests.

Originally Posted By: FursniperThe perception of predator contests is different to non hunters than their perception of traditional hunting. Why? Because they are non hunters.

Hunting and fishing is not a right in AZ. If wildlife management is done at the ballot box, we could lose a lot more than just predator contests.

The contests have sponsors and support of wildlife conservation groups. These sponsors and conservation groups have money and lobbying power. AZ just lost some support with this ban for sure. Sponsors will spend more money and give more support to states that support contests and more predator hunting.

Originally Posted By: UtahcallerUntil people stop posting there hero pictures of dead coyotes all over the internet these kind of things are going to continue to happen in States. I’ve been guilt of posting pictures several years ago but don’t at all anymore especially on any social media sites.You are just fueling the fire when you do it.
I don't agree. As long as the pictures are not gory, it is a good thing to see buddies, families, and new young hunters doing what they love. The more pictures showing it done right, the better. Show something a lot and people just think that's how it is or its the norm. Hide it and have one or two pictures get out and people are shocked. We show sex and violence all over the TV and now look how our children have become immune to it. This is kind of a reverse example as I would rather our kids not think what they see on TV is normal.

Back