Anyone use an AR for predator hunting?

I use a Core15 AR in .223 for most of my coyote hunting here in the desert and I love it. It’s light, accurate, and compact. Follow up shots are definitely quicker than my Ruger M77 .220 Swift bolt gun. For inside 200 yards, I am never left wanting.

For longer ranges, I use my Ruger RPR in 6mm Creedmoor. Using either the 87 grain V-Max or the 108 grain ELD Match Ammo, every coyote I have hit looks like they were struck by lightning. But the fur? Definitely not a fur saver.

It really boils down to what you are comfortable AND effective with. I've hunted with guys that didn't have to take many follow up shots and were devastating with their bolt actions.

Me, I like the versatility of the AR platforms. Pop pins and I can hunt just about whatever I want, wherever I want it.

I also like being able to work on my own rigs without the need for mills and lathes, in most cases.

That said, I have hunted with bows, air guns, muzzleloaders, bolt guns, pumps, semis, my truck...if it works I'm gonna use it.

SnowmanMo nails it: what you are comfortable and effective with. I like my bolt guns, my ARs and various other implements but it comes down to the situation and what I feel comfortable with. Sadly though scatterguns and rimfires dominate in most of my wooded/suburban type areas (which is where I do most of)

I have an affection for my bolt guns but with all the new AR calibers available it really almost makes bolts guns obsolete as far as getting called in critters killed. Exception would be if you just want to run a caliber not available in the AR platform or for extreme long range hunting. Im surprised by the accuracy I can get with the AR platform as they shoot as good as my bolts. Shoot what you want but the only time I get a bolt gun out anymore would just be for old times sake or for something different. Looking like my kids will inherrit swifts with really good throats lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I have an affection for my bolt guns but with all the new AR calibers available it really almost makes bolts guns obsolete as far as getting called in critters killed. Exception would be if you just want to run a caliber not available in the AR platform or for extreme long range hunting. Im surprised by the accuracy I can get with the AR platform as they shoot as good as my bolts. Shoot what you want but the only time I get a bolt gun out anymore would just be for old times sake or for something different. Looking like my kids will inherrit swifts with really good throats lol.

ya... thankfully with modern quality control and machining techniquees - the days of the ar that cant shoot well are mostly long gone. barring a super low budget firearm or QC oops... 1 moa is pretty easy with good ammo with an off the shelf firearm. with a high quality barrel and quality ammo, its quite impressive what AR's are capable of these days!

Back