Anyone use an AR for predator hunting?

Too many interesting rounds that can be chambered in an AR for me to NOT use one lol. Bolt guns are boring and after handling the AR's so much, normal bolt gun stocks almost feel unnatural.

I use mostly long barreled Ar's with suppressors, and I carry them slung like any other hunting rifle muzzle up, but I attach the sling to the left side of the float tube and stock. That way the mag isn't trying to dig into my back.

Originally Posted By: mattman215Don’t use a weapon of war for hunting....I only use a musket.

Just so long as it's not one of those new fangled rifled PERCUSSION ASSAULT MUSKETS.
angry.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: mattman215Don’t use a weapon of war for hunting....I only use a musket.

Just so long as it's not one of those new fangled rifled PERCUSSION ASSAULT MUSKETS.
angry.gif

Regards,
hm

With those rapid-fire paper cartridges! We can't have them on the streets!

Originally Posted By: mattman215Don’t use a weapon of war for hunting....I only use a musket.

I believe that's what we used against the red coats so technically that's a weapon of war also....yeah.

Last edited:
I can only offer up my experience with hunting with the AR platform. A few years back, I decided to build an AR as a dedicated night time hunting rig. Essentially, I was looking for a rifle that would allow me a quick follow up shot if needed. Originally, I wanted to build it in 22-250. For some reason, it became a hassle to build it around the 22-250 caliber, so I settled on the .223.

I will say that some of my decisions I made on the build made the AR heavier than I would've liked. I chose a 22-inch barrel and went for a fixed stock, instead of the lighter adjustable stock.

I've been hunting predators for over 20-years and this was my first AR build. My usual go-to rifles are chambered in 204 and 22-250. I call my 22-250 Thumper because whatever I hit, dies where it stands. I've found the 204 equally as deadly, and If I do my job, the critters usually die where they stand out to 200-yards.

Once the AR was finished, I decided to hunt with it during a season. I killed seven coyotes and three bobcat with the rifle. I was using 55 grain rounds.

Using the AR: Two of the coyotes were shot within 40-yards and died where they stood. The rest, took a bullet right behind the shoulder (80-150 yards away)and took off, dying 100-yards from where they were first hit. Two bobcats were dropped at 60-yards and died where they stood. The third, hit at 100-yards at night, took off and died 200-yards from where he was perfectly hit.

My conclusion, and this has nothing to do with the AR platform, but I feel the .223 wasn't giving me the knock down power I was used to with the 204 and the 22-250. This of course is no knock on the AR platform, but I did find the rifle too heavy for what I wanted to use it for (probably my fault). Also, putting the rifle in battery (hitting the bolt release) was way too loud for night hunting and calling in general.

Lastly, I never did need it for a quick follow up shot...the original reason I built the rifle.

Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiLaughing, is there any weapon out there that wasn't used in a war at some time?

Air rifle pellet gun..

I would guess if you go back in history far enough you'll see, arrows, swords, axes, rocks, boiling oil, sticks, hand to hand all used as weapons of war. So look out for those assault rocks, and sticks.

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiLaughing, is there any weapon out there that wasn't used in a war at some time?

Air rifle pellet gun..

I believe the explorers Lewis and Clark had an air rifle with them on their journey. Used primarily for hunting. They showed it to the Indians and I imagine it was displayed as a means of protection in case of war.

My opinion of things have changed over the years. Experience is a great teacher. Never had a "night rig" and a "cat rig" and a "coon rig" etc, etc. Back in the day when I had only killed 30 or 40 coyotes I liked certain things I consider junk after many, many hundred. Carry on.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI would guess if you go back in history far enough you'll see, arrows, swords, axes, rocks, boiling oil, sticks, hand to hand all used as weapons of war. So look out for those assault rocks, and sticks.

I was going to say the same thing lol.

Originally Posted By: andersce100My coyote gun is a 22-250 bolt gun and it would be nice to stick with that caliber but I'm finding that there's not a big selection of AR rifles in 22-250.

Anyone use the AR platform to do their predator hunting? D

Thanks
Chris Yes, the two current guns I use for coyotes are a 22-250 AR-10 and a 6WOA (6x6.8) AR-15. I prefer the 22-250. There are for sure two manufacturers of 22-250 ARs currently and there could very well be more. Specialized Dynamics out of Arizona and Alex Pro Firearms out of Minnesota. I've used both and both will kill coyotes. I own multiple other coyote guns but a good modern AR will shoot with any bolt gun. If you only shoot one coyote on a stand, and you never miss, an AR isn't necessary. A bolt gun is also a lot quieter suppressed. Even with all that said, I would have a hard time going back to a bolt gun especially for night hunting. Yes, ARs can be heavy, but there are lot of heavy bolt guns as well.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: mattman215Don’t use a weapon of war for hunting....I only use a musket.

angry.gif

Regards,
hm

Don't let him fool you. Mattman goes full mall ninja with his tacticool musket....

I've outfitted my musket with collapsible stock and 4 rail forearm with lights and lasers attached. 45 degree fastfire attached for close quarter combat. And, of course, a bayonet.

I currently use my Dtech 18" barrel AR in .223. Most of my friends that handle it think its light for an AR. It doesn't seem much heavier than my bolt guns I don't notice a difference. I do however agree, I don't like how loud it is when closing the bolt even using the forward assist to close it. Additionally, I don't like how the sling attaches to the side on the adjustable stock. It makes for an awkward slung position. So I usually just carry it freehand. Because of those reasons I bought a .204 bolt gun to get dialed in for next season instead of my AR.

Back