SAVAGE MODEL 24 IN 223 OVER 20 GAUGE

I have never seen a favorible range report on them. I really wish there was a better answer than that, but i don't think too many folks are willing to be the guniea pigs.

The other issue I have is, at the end of the day, you have 2 barrels that do not coexist well. A shotgun for coyotes should be able to swing on the target, easily. This is difficult with a scope on top...and if you use the 223 barrel, its still just a single shot...not favorable, IMO. Plus, I see it being quite difficult to get both barrels POI to match each other AND the POA of the scope...

Just purely speculation, But this is why I, personally, do not see them working all to well.

A friend has a Savage 12/.223 think it is a 24F. He has had problems keeping the barrels aligned and scope sync with barrels..

I owned a 24V in 223/20g my barrels were well regulated and the rifle barrel was quite accurate, if you can get by with open sights they might work for you. Ergonomically they suck. Being able to use the scope for both the shotgun and the rifle is nearly impossible,you have to mount thw scope so high to clear the hammer to cock it and select the barrel you have to lift you head completely off the stock a long way.

A combination gun with double triggers and a Safety works muxh better with instant selectio between rifle and shotgun plus yuo can mount ths scope rifht down on the barrel. I use 1x4x20mm sopes an on 1x they can be used like a red dot and are extremely fast on close in preds ans wven on flying birds. Turn them up to 4x and you have a very decent 300yard coyote rig. Because they have such a large FOV they are the darlings of the DGR Crowd.

Im down here in NM at the Pm Hunt shooting a German drilling, picked up a nice coyote at 30yards with the shotgun barrel.
To

I currently own a 24F .223/12g the .223 barrel is accurate enough for its purpose, single shot so you cant load and shoot too quickly,the pencil barrel cant handle being heated up too much. I have a scope mount on mine with a cheap scope but I have never fired the 12g barrel which has been said to wreak havoc on scope zero.

2 dogs
1 grey fox
3 bobcats with mine

Last edited:
I just got out my savage 24f in 22 hornet over 20 gauge. I mounted a scope and the scope seems to hold zero so far. I have the 22 hornet sighted in for 80 yards, which is probably as far as I would shoot in the timber I hunt. The shotgun has an acceptable pattern out to 25-30 yards, with 2 3/4 inch #3 buckshot. For some reason federal 3" magnum buckshot has a horrible pattern from the gun. The buckshot spreads out with huge hole in the middle.
I don't have any use for shotgun slugs during a coyote hunt but just for reference, sighted as stated above, slugs hit 4 inches high at 25 yards. Slugs seem to spread about 4 inches horizontally at 25 yards. I guess the slugs might make a person feel better in bear country.
I had been carrying both a rifle and shotgun when going into an area for a cold set. The over and under makes life simpler and it is lighter than two guns.

Last edited:
Since I posted earlier, I have removed the scope on my Savage 24. Even with a low powered scope I couldn't swing the shotgun and hit birds. I also figured that the best reason for using a shotgun for coyote was so I could shoot fast at close range. With the scope I would be just as fast with a rifle.
The open sights were okay, but not great for shooting any distance.Therefore I have now mounted a red dot.

I think I posted about the 24's on here before. Anyone who trashes them, says they aren't accurate, can't be regulated, just didn't take the time to make them right. I have several combo guns and the love the 24's. It's not difficult to regulate the barrels at all if you have even the slightest mechanical ability, which any gunsmith should be able to do. My rifles will be dead on at 100, back up to 30 and use the 12ga with the exact same point of aim with the crosshairs and the shot pattern will be dead center the target every time. Takes some time, tweaking and ammo to get all this together but to me is well worth the headache. The 24's with screw in choke have a Winchester thread pattern when you order a custom turkey or predator choke. A few friends this past spring with the latest greatest pump 12 turkey guns still couldn't match the pattern from my 24 that has an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke, running heavy shot. On a final note, go ahead and send them my way if they are worthless as everyone else claims, but wait, not only are they getting more difficult to acquire but the prices are getting ridiculous. Seem upwards of $600-800 used for a gun that was only $300 new. Must be something worthwhile to them.... There, I'm the guniea pig :))

Well, I've never owned one or even shot one but have always thought they were pretty neat and might buy one if the price were right at the time.

WVD, why not start a post and show the people that do own them how to tweek the barrels to make them shoot!! Having never even shot one, I know that I don't have a clue how to do it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWVD, why not start a post and show the people that do own them how to tweek the barrels to make them shoot!!

that sounds like a great idea.

many moons and suns ago i tried a model 24 for coyote calling. i couldn't get rid of the dang thing fast enough.

All I did was draw up a design that I thought would work for a regulator and had my gunsmith machine it out for me. Attaches between the two barrels and works similar to the regulator adjustment on the Baikals except allows for a lot more adjustment side/side, up/down. I cannot post pics from here or I would. It's a simple design that allows the barrels to be synched. Sight in at 100, go to 30 and see where the pattern hits. Move the regulator just like a rear iron sight, and repeat until they're on.

I have no experience with coyotes but used to do a lot of night calling for foxes years ago. This gun was the absolute best thing going for us. It's a turkey gobbler's nightmare in spring or fall if he decides to hang up at 200 yards (don't bash me about the turkey/rifle thing, it's always been legal here and it's how we grew up hunting them). I agree, not for everyone, especially out west where multiple animals or follow ups in open range are possible. They are heavy to lug around, can be expensive to regulate, drill/tap, top with quality optics, aftermarket choke, recoil pad, camo, etc. I have about 4 times the $$ in them that they originally sold for new and stock.

I only have them in 12/223, passed up many in 20 gauge over the years and still may snag one in 410/22 for the kids if I get the chance.

Ha! Been in over 17 years, they are set to let me out in 5 more
smile.gif

dang, that is a long time. must of been a pretty serious crime.

what institution are you in? i will send you a dozen hack saw blades. would you like them buried deeply in a thick crust pepperoni pizza or a chocolate cake?

Originally Posted By: WVDanimal... I agree, not for everyone, especially out west where multiple animals or follow ups in open range are possible. They are heavy to lug around, can be expensive to regulate, drill/tap, top with quality optics, aftermarket choke, recoil pad, camo, etc. I have about 4 times the $$ in them that they originally sold for new and stock.

And now you know why people trash them.

My father has the Russian made Baikal .223/12 gauge and it is very accurate. We have both shot many fall turkeys with it and he has shot a coyote with it. He also has a good Leupold is scope on it and never had an issue. The only bad thing I can think of is the trigger guard can smash your fingers if you have large hands.

Back