Baiting

Hi Baiters! 'Tis the season! Hope everyone had a good summer and is doing well.
I'm glad to be back on this site with everyone and to be back in the predator stands again. Just finished up a week of deer hunting and then set some bait out. I only have 2 sites running right now until after gun season is over. I got a big boar last Saturday night, then night before last, I took out a mangy Red that showed up at the bait around 6:20pm. Last night I had to thread the needle to shoot a Red vixen that came in at 8:00pm. Video link is below. All shots taken with ATN x-sight 3-14.

I have been a dedicated Moultrie camera fan until just recently when I started looking at the Browning cameras and I have to say I've been impressed. I first purchased the Dark Ops Pro XD micro camera in 24mp and then picked up a Dark Ops Extreme 20mp and the clarity is excellent. Both cameras have a built in 2" view screen, both take pictures and video and are powered by 8 AA batteries or external battery. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was looking for a camera.

Catching up on ya'lls coyote/fox posts - - congratulations to all!

Best of luck to everyone this season...Let the fur fly!

ATN boar Nov. 10, 2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr
Mangy Red Nov. 13, 2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

ATN Red vixen Nov. 14,2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Great to have you back GG. Looks like you've been blowing some holes in those critters. Sure hope you get that coyote that visited late last year.

I know you guys like good hunts. Although it isn't baiting, it is a near perfect stand. Hope you enjoy.

Last night's stand was in a wet cornfield with lots of stalks on the ground, and it was very noisy trying to get in for the stand.

We got setup, and while I was putting the call out, I heard some howl off in the distance. I played a little babe cottontail, but didn't see anything although it is 700 yds. across that field and so they could have already been coming without me seeing them.

I went to the mouth call and did a lone howl, waited a few seconds and did a second howl which got them coming to the call. My buddy was anxious for a kill with his new Trail XQ50 and suppressor. I waited for him and he killed the first one, a big male, at 100 yds. but the coyote looked like he was 50 yds. and I made a quick follow up running shot on the female and dropped her at about 140 yds.

I don't have my buddy's video yet, but he says he got it all as well. I may post them both as a comparison between the Apex XQ50 and Trail XQ50. Here is a picture of the pair. The male is quite a bit larger but it doesn't show that way in the picture. I'm holding the male's head up.

IMG_0432 by Double Up, on Flickr

Deer hunting is a bust... back to the coyotes. This summer coyotes were multiplying around here. We had....optimum word "had" a litter of 4 which I saw all 4 ...no shot at that point. In the last couple weeks things have picked up then slowed down. Nailed 2 missed 2 in 2 days, both females. 1 was a year old other was 1 of the litter. 1 of the ones I missed.... I thought I got it was a runner.....actually gave it a belly birthmark ....clumps of fur with small flesh ...no blood. Since then things had quieted down and the tracks in the snow are showing cats...no coyotes. Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

We got this one last night. My buddy made a nice heart shot on this fat male at about 120 yds. I didn't get any video, but he has it once he can get it downloaded off the Trail XQ50.

IMG_0434 by Double Up, on Flickr

Greetings all. New guy here. I've spent the last couple of days going through this 200-something page thread since baiting has been of great interest to me. Great information here and thanks for all the inputs, as I've learned a lot.

My Baiting Story---

Been baiting for yotes behind my place for about 4-5 months now for night hunting. I throw a cup or two of cheap dog food out nightly along the wood line. Get a lot of coons/possums every night with an occasional fox. When a coyote shows up on the trail cams, I will add a can of sardines out and that seems to bring them back with regularity.

I use a "cheaper" handheld FLIR spotting scope to observe the critters from an open windown on the back side of my garage about 70 yards away. When the coons/possums run up a tree I get on the gun which currently has an ATN digital NV scope. It works really well for my needs. Have 4 coyotes down over this timeframe.

The coons/possums are my early warning system for sure. I'd guess 40-50% of the time when they shoot up a tree its for a good reason.

Welcome B, glad to have you aboard. You'll find everyone pretty helpful in the baiting thread, and will try to answer any additional questions you may think of. You've already gained a bunch of knowledge reading this long thread. Seems like you have a really good "early warning system" already in place with the coons and possums.

Thanks guys

Testing if uploading photos works for this site...not too good at this kind of thing.

ETA - ok, lets try this again. Thanks weekender - Imgur works I think

ePmyz3H.jpg

Last edited:

Welcome Burnsome. Yep, seems you are doing pretty good already with baiting.

This thread had been going strong for quite a while. Very good people here, no arguing or anyone getting feelings hurt, just nice people doing what they enjoy and sharing success, trials and tribulations, and what works for them. It's a great place for learning and everyone has something to contribute. We look forward to hearing your stories and how you go about it. Photos and videos just sweeten the deal so be sure to post them. A lot of us have lost photos from Photobucket which has ruined much of our posts. Flickr is good for photos, and there are others too.

Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the welcoming gents. Now that I have this picture uploading process figured out here's another shot from the female downed about 2 weeks ago. I use an ATN X-Sight digital unit. I wanted to get into the NV game since the yotes only seem to come out at night around my place and the entry price was much cheaper than thermal. So far so good. Will take some pics of my setup (gun/shoot house/bait area) later and post them.

The hound and I used to go on "search and destroy" missions against the yotes for several years which included calling. I think I killed maybe 2 using that technique. Now that I'm baiting, the success rate is about one yote a month, and thats only hunting maybe 1 or 2 times/week for a couple hours each sitting. Put up 6 trail cams around the bait area so I get a pretty good idea of whats out there and what times.

The bait area certainly feeds the other critters more than the yotes. I'm not sure if the yotes are interested in the bait as much as the possums that visit the site actually. Perhaps they are hunting over my bait area? Broadcasting cheap dog food and table scraps tends to turn the yote into more of a "grazing" vs a "snag and run" type animal. Still learning as I go...

yGq9ncM.jpg

Back