Baiting

I posted this over in the Night Calling video section, but with you guys waiting for cooler weather to get your bait piles going good, I thought you might like a little calling action on video.

My calling buddy couldn't make last night, so I went alone. Decided to call in front of the local prison which has a large field of several hundred acres in front of it. I set my call up to the north of my position which was a pinch point crossing between two big fields with a large canal separating them. The Fusion fell off the case that I usually place it on top of and wouldn't play for some reason.

I didn't want to walk back down the cornfield as it was very noisy, so I took my Lil'Dog out and made three long howls and finished them with a Pup Distress. The coyote came from the south behind me and was just getting into my downwind when I took the shot. I hit her a little left of center, but I think she would have stayed down. However I didn't want to take any chances and put another 55 ballistic tip in her for insurance. She was pretty well blown up, but the end result was a dead coyote. It wasn't pretty but it was effective.

Shot one like that once. Legs in the air could not see his body for another shot went on calling. Went to pick him up later gone. They are tough critters.

Thought you guys might not have seen this last video in the Night Calling section. It might keep you motivated for the coming winter baiting.

My hunting buddy was exhausted Monday night, so I had to go it alone. I had a tip on one that had been seen mousing in this field on Saturday. Actually had two coming to the call, but I had to take the close one before the other one got close enough.

I played Coyote Pair and they sounded off aggressively. Then I gave them a few bars of Female Challenge, and finally Pup Screams with Coyote Growls added. Here they come. I woofed the close one to a stop and made a good heart shot on her, but she was spinning, so I put another one in, and then she lined out so I popped her again. Three strikes and she was out. Actually she wasn't shot up all that much for 3 bullet hits. Here is a picture.

IMG_0417 by Double Up, on Flickr

And the video:

Wish a person could get a wireless intercom that is powered by AA batteries or a 9 volt for the bait pile, use to have a wired one from radio shack that worked great, picked up all the sounds outside, no ding dong just natural sounds of the outside environment, on a cold crisp night you could hear deer, rabbits, and mice walking in to the bait pile, you could hear them chewing on apples or corn, would wake you up from a sound sleep, had a built in volume control also. It finally gave up and they are not made anymore. If I remember they were like 14 dollars for the transmitter and receiver and a short piece of wire that I would add to and extend it out close to 100 yards, wire was buried. Wireless would be so much better for multi places to use it.

Last edited:
Let the season begin folks. Bow season opened here October 1st. My boy filled his doe tag, so I threw the carcus on the 170 yd sight about 2 days ago. Had a very nice pair come in about 8:15 this morning and I shot the male. Getting an early start this year.Now the bitter/sweet...my boy got a new Remington 700 .204 to replace his TC Venture. I worked up a new load a while back with 39 gr Sierra Blitzkings and needed to test that load. So...as the boy is at college, I used his new .204 to kill the first one of the season. Aaahhh he won't mind!!!Great results with that bullet on this one.
10-9-18J.204170 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Let's get em going!!!!!!

Green and WET DU!!!!! Holy cow for rain...hoping it will dry out soon. I'd like to get some more fall calling in!!!! But, I'll take em on the pile too!!!

Good job Bait Pile.

The grass is still pretty green here as well, and the mountain foilage too. Seems seasons are mixed up these days. Generally we are at the peak of colorful foilage by the middle of October. The mountains are still green here.

Gave the fox a pass last year, and the coyotes wouldn't cooperate. First one of the year.

30698709287_86775e7f56_c.jpg

Last edited:
Saw a pair of coyotes coming up the field tonight. One came right to the bait pile. I elected to take the farther one which turned out to be 216 yds. It was a big male, DRT. Female ran, scope nuc'd before straight away running shot so I waited. Coyote stopped with my pear tree in the way, waited again. Coyote came out at better than 400 yds. I took a long shot and missed. Here is a picture of the one I killed. Will post video later.

IMG_0429 by Double Up, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Old Cat. Actually it was very humid last night in fact raining shortly afterwards, so the image is much better under low humidity conditions as you know. Plus, I had just turned the scope on and it really had not had chance to settle in, hence the NUC right when I needed to shoot.

I am really having to make some mental adjustments on distances. This scope makes things look so much closer.

I was hoping for a bait pile double, but it just didn't happen right this time. Those 6mm 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tips have worked really well for me in the 6x45 or 6mm Parvo as Weekender named it. That was a big ol' heavy male coyote. No pass through on this one and no visible entry wound either.

Originally Posted By: baitpileGood Job DU!!! Things really slowed down here...10* this morning. I've missed two so far...RUSTY!!! I really hate missing!!!
smile.gif

Boy, don't we all. If you shoot enough it will happen, but it still hurts, EVERY TIME!!!

Back