Wanting a 17 remington, is there a factory rifle or go custom?

I have been wanting a 17 remington for while now, i just like the idea of a lightweight calling rifle with the ability to spot your own shot. Now is there a current factory rifle chambered in 17 remington, do i look for a used one, or do i just go custom? Pro's and con's of the said cartridge and any help would be greatly appreciated. Or does anyone have such a gun they would part with?

I believe Cz and cooper make them. I have a rem 700 lvsf that is about perfect size wise I think for calling. Punched to 17-204 though.
If you have the time and scratch just get a custom barrel rifle built. Classifieds on here and saubier often have pretty nice custom and factory rifles for sale too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parsonIt would be hard to beat the new CZ

That's for sure. About 15 years ago when CZ announced they were going to start chambering the 527 Varmint in .17 Rem I had my dealer order me one. What a delight! The little 20 grain Vmax and Varget and the CCI BR primer combo accounted for a buttload of ground squirrels and later prairie dogs. It shot the 25 grain bullets well too but I got a bit more toss with the 20 grainers as long as you did not push the distance too much. Longest PD kill with the 20 grain Vmax and the .17 Rem was 451 yards. He tried to make it to his hole but died in route.

I love my CZ527 .17 Remington Varmint. It shoots everything I load for it, including 32gr reed bullets. Its favorite is 25gr Hornady HP. Dropped a coyote at 282yds. Didn't move. You'll be hard pressed to find something that shoots better. And I nbn you do, be prepared to pay way more .

I've been shooting a 17Rem since it's inception....buy the CZ and go kill chit.

PS....if you don't reload...start.

If you end up getting a barrel, do yourself a big favor and get a 17-223 or similar instead. The 17 Rem brass scarcity and quality situation is terrible. Bullet availabity can be sketchy too. Figure out what bullet you want to shoot and barrel twist to stabilize them, and then stock up on a lifetime supply of those bullets.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIf you end up getting a barrel, do yourself a big favor and get a 17-223 or similar instead. The 17 Rem brass scarcity and quality situation is terrible. Bullet availabity can be sketchy too. Figure out what bullet you want to shoot and barrel twist barrel to stabilize them, and stock up on a lifetime supply of those bullets.

Agreed....If building your own I'd go with a 17/222....brass is just too much of an issue these days.
A 9 twist will shoot everything from 20 to 30gr....three grove if it's an option.

PS...look no further than Channing Nagel for bullets.

Thank me later.

Originally Posted By: RePeteI've been shooting a 17Rem since it's inception....buy the CZ and go kill chit.

PS....if you don't reload...start.

Good advice.
I have a custom, but if I had it to do all over again I would go with a factory CZ...................well maybe.........I really like my custom.

And as RePete said, Nagel bullets are great.

Meh, brass is easy to find. Go to high plains brass web site. They make .17 rem brass from .223. $45/100 pieces. Great stuff.

Originally Posted By: AcroninMeh, brass is easy to find. Go to high plains brass web site. They make .17 rem brass from .223. $45/100 pieces. Great stuff.

So you tried it? I have wanted to get some but not sure how well it would work. I have been using just R-P brass for the last almost 40 years and while I am not running low I thought about trying the High Plains brass for my .221 FB as well. As I shoot it a lot during squirrel season. Killed a lot of prairie dogs with it too.

Got anything you dont like about the brass? If not I might just have to order me some.

I saw Bud's has the CZ 527 .17 Rem in stock. I bought a .17 Hornet CZ 527, and love it, but the .17 Rem would be better for any coyotes that come in. Lost a coyote a couple Friday nights ago with the Hornet at 212 yards (thought it was closer).

Originally Posted By: AcroninMeh, brass is easy to find. Go to high plains brass web site. They make .17 rem brass from .223. $45/100 pieces. Great stuff.

Have you measured any? I've yet to hear of anyone getting the proper length using 223 brass.

Had a buddy make a bunch of "17 rem" from 223. Had inconsistent pressures with them. Had to down load 2 grns to find anything I felt safe with. He loaded a bunch in January that popped primers in June.

Originally Posted By: gotspotsHad a buddy make a bunch of "17 rem" from 223. Had inconsistent pressures with them. Had to down load 2 grns to find anything I felt safe with. He loaded a bunch in January that popped primers in June.

Sounds like more of a powder issue than a brass issue.

As much as I loved my .17 Remington. I love my .17 Tactical more. Much more....Have been shooting it now for 10 years and I think the barrel is starting to show signs it might be ready to retire. I bought a CZ 527 .204 a couple years back so I think I might have to rebarrel it to another .17 Tactical. Really liked the 30 grain Golds at almost 4000 fps. But like the 27 grain Golds or 26 grain Genco RBBT better. Running 4100 fps easier on fur. The thing I like the most is using the .223 Lapua Brass.

Good Hunting Chad

I have had two custom 17 Remingtons, one with a lilja barrel and the other with a Shilen barrel. Also, 4 of the 17 Mach 4's.

I had the reamers ground where I could just clean up the necks to give better uniformity.

Using 22.5g of H322 with a 25g Berger I got 3850, and with this speed I could go long strings on p. dog towns.

For coyotes, I shot 24g of IMR 4320 with the 25g berger at 4100.

Groups with the 25g Bergers were from the high 1's to low 3's, and they killed coyotes quite well. I noticed that I got a lot less copper fouling with the Bergers vs the Hornady 25g HP...understatement.

Lilja and Shilen barrels will have several features that are well worth considering:
1. uniform bore dia
2.drilled much straighter
3. micro finish of the bore will be slick as glass
4.ease in cleaning

These two custom barrels will be a much better barrel than any factory barrel, and this should only be a consideration if you want to shoot long shot strings and ease of cleaning.

If you do go for a custom barrel, make sure of the reamer dimensions. You want a reamer that does not give you a big sloppy chamber, and a short leade is preferable. A gunsmith that has a set of reamer pilot bushings to match the ID of the bore perfectly is a must. Also, if he has a uni throater to throat for a 30g vs zero to next to zero freebore(20-25g) would be preferable. It is very impressive to see a rifle shoot a five shot group smaller than a pencil eraser!

These small groups will give you instant confidence when you happen to pick up a coyote staring at you over the top of a bush with only his head exposed at 250 yards and further!

The gratification of shooting a rifle that kills way out there that has the recoil of a BB gun is something that you will just have to experience.

Back