Baiting

5qdQo9k

Even though we were calling tonight, I know you guys like pics and videos. So here's tonight's hunt.

IMG_20180318_210521538 by Double Up, on Flickr

My hunting buddy took this one tonight, a young male. He didn't have his video running because it all happened so quick. We heard a group open up to the north of us in response to coyote vocals, and were expecting them to come down this timber road. This one stepped out almost at the call only about 40 yds. I caught it all on my video with the Apex. Nice shot and DRT kill. I was glad he got this one as my buddy was sort of bummed out last week when he missed out on the black coyote kill.

Excellent video work DU!!! Tell your buddy congrats!! Nice Work!!

On the trail cam topic, we are using the Bushnell Trophy Cam No Glow, and it is working very well. Distance is about 6-12 yds and the no glow does great. Not even a glance toward the camera.

Still in the valley!!! This fella came creeping in this morning. 170 yd site. I have been test driving some new soft point bullets...50 gr soft point bulk bullets from Midsouth. So far...great performance. Went in the boiler room on the right side and part exited towards the top of his neck on the left side. Not bad, about dime sized. This was my R700 .223. Fur didn't look too bad on this one, so skinned him, we'll see how we do.
Never took a step!
j3-26 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
j3-26 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

#16 on the season. 15 were all on the bait...have never had a year like this since I started baiting some 12-14 years ago. Stay at it guys!!!!
BP
P.S. Seems once again...all they want now is that beaver!!! Next year will be interesting...armed with this new knowledge!!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice! I just shot my last one of the year on Saturday am on my bait. Extremely nervous but wanted to get some of the beaver over the deer. Learning more for next year. I am thinking of an ATN scope.

Beaver at your place BP is as expensive as chicken at doubleup's. Arm, leg, lungs and now you have to give your hide too!!!! Geeze, I would just have settled for the mice !@#$%^&

Baitpile, good job once again. You have had a great season.

Just a side note to anyone who might be interested. The ATN X-Sight 3-14x is on Amazon for around $450, price lowered almost $50 since I got mine back in February. Also, yesterday I spoke with an ATN rep who said the new 4K models have shipped to pre-orders, but general supplies will begin to ship out within 2-3 weeks. The Thor4 thermal scopes are supposed to be released this summer.

WOW lots of good reading to get caught up. Been buried with work ....BUT with the moonlight been able to find the time to do a little bait watching by moonlight when I get home. Hit my second moonlight coyote the other night. Another female it was with another as you might expect this time of year. Saw them monday night 3:00 AM and could not get a shot ....they got into the shadows along the wood line and I could not see them for 1/2 hour ended up going to bed. Friday night 12:15 same spot 2 come out head to bait ...lost them momentarily.The female came out into the open moonlight 223 53 gr VMax hammered it. DRT. I know pics will will try tomorrow. Keep the party going. For me happy with my year so far. Good Luck!!

Good job Dog Driller. I wish I had some coyote action but just haven't had a chance to hunt much this spring.

Just for information sake and since there has been some talk here about the ATN X-Sight for bait hunting, I thought I would post up some photos of the outfit I have. I have a post in the Night Hunting section here: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...889#Post3142889

I am anxious to put it to use on a coyote or two. Thanks GobblerGetter and Weekender for all the information you shared about the X-Sight.

looks good 6, will have the same type of setup on my Stag 6L heavy bbl when I return to Michigan in a month, itching to try it out for sure.

My son placed a trail camera behind the barn on our farm a few months back and forgot all about it. He remembered the other day and collected photos. Here's a few.

Man, I should have been hunting more and working less. My bait site is 200+ yards to the left in the photo.

There seems to have been a lot of activity around the barn. I have other photos showing going and coming from the barn. Must be mousing.

41199722051_2e134557c8_b.jpg

41154412762_d45a73eb9c_b.jpg

41199721861_7faac94ded_b.jpg

41154412662_3ebffd564b_b.jpg

40485309634_967f6f9886_b.jpg

Excellent work DD!!! Standing by on pics!!
Great photos 6mm. Nice looking set up and information. Also...gotta love the coyote pics on the game cam!!! Yes...hunting instead of work!!! Couldn't agree more!!!

Back