Baiting

Gobbler, be sure to keep us updated about the X-Sight. I was one of several who were interested in that one, but the scope had issues from the start and gained a bad reputation. I think the second model showed some improvements though. Once you get it into hunting operation and have time for a good assessment, post a review if you don't mind.

I have the X-sight II. It has pros and cons. If you got the external battery pack, that will save lot of the cons. Be sure to shut the scope off properly instead of letting it go dead form lack of juice. The really only thing I didn't like about was it needs to be mounted way further to the rear of the gun than a conventional optical scope. I have had mine while but been working too for from home to get much use out of it yet.

I think a whole new world just opened up to me . . .Holy cow! Took the ATN x-sight out for it's first hunt last night. Got in the stand at 5:30 and around 6:00 my usual Red dog came around the fringes of the bait pile, gave me his usual 2-3 barks and moved on. At 8:00 he came back in, but not right to the pile. I could hear him walking around just in back of my game camera set up. I found him through the scope and waited 'til I had a clear shot, then - Boom! - dead as a log. (And that's where he was too) I was amazed and excited that I was able to see him so well and then to get the shot. I felt like, as my grandfather would say, "a big dog in the meat house". LOL

Jan. 15, 2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

A coupe of things: I did not get the shot on video, my human error, but I did video a possum at the pile just so ya'll could see the video quality, etc.
I wear glasses, but have to take them off to see in the scope. Having to put them on and off while I hunt is a bother. Guess I will be needing an eye doctor visit here soon.
Over all really, really cool experience. I like that I could see them and they didn't even know I was there - so unlike the red light which too often would spook the animal and they'd be gone like lightening. Can't wait to get back out there!!!!

Last edited:
Great job, Gobbler. Night vision is addicting. Seems I am always thinking about it.

How far was the possum from your position?

I noticed some flickering in the view that has been an issue with the X-Sight in the past. What brightness level did you have the illuminator on? I have read that using less light will cure that. Have you uploaded the latest firmware?

Thanks for the review of the scope. Please keep reviews coming. I enjoy it.

Thanks for the video GG. What was the distance? I have been reading about different NV setups including 6mm06's homemade. Still kicking the tires on what to do. My schedule does not allow for much use and is hard to justify. I suppose I have not hit the "I just want it point." along with a price that I like. Also been getting a few coyotes in the daylight which takes the edge off feeling like I need to shoot at night. Shot a male coyote couple weeks back before the cold snap......full of mange. It was only the second coyote that that I have ever shot that had it....and it was bad. In the cold it would have froze to death it was that bad.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI have the X-sight II. It has pros and cons. If you got the external battery pack, that will save lot of the cons. Be sure to shut the scope off properly instead of letting it go dead form lack of juice. The really only thing I didn't like about was it needs to be mounted way further to the rear of the gun than a conventional optical scope. I have had mine while but been working too for from home to get much use out of it yet.

Weekender - I did get the external battery pack which was included in the package. Directions to it were in Chinese, so I called ATN to get help with that. The reps have been just great to deal with there. I have mounted my scope as far back as I can, certainly wouldn't mind a couple more notches on the rail to get it closer only because my vision is so poor. I am literally smashing my eye into the rubber eye piece to see. I have got to get some glasses...eerrrr!
Hope you get to use your scope before winter ends!
Jan. 15, 2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: 6mm06 Great job, Gobbler. Night vision is addicting. Seems I am always thinking about it.

How far was the possum from your position?

I noticed some flickering in the view that has been an issue with the X-Sight in the past. What brightness level did you have the illuminator on? I have read that using less light will cure that. Have you uploaded the latest firmware?

Thanks for the review of the scope. Please keep reviews coming. I enjoy it.

The possum was about 25-30 yards thereabout. Yes, the video does flicker. I videoed the possum at low then medium then high. I noticed that with each change of IR light there is somewhat of a flash. It is a distraction to watch for sure. I also have the NV brightness level on low - may try changing that too. Guessing then I would not have to set IR so high? I inquired at the company about the firmware and they said I didn't need to upload 'cause the scope had the latest installed when I bought it. I also double checked on their web site and I'm good for now.

dd - The distance I shot the dog was at 40yrds. I hunt the woods and hunt by sound (real close). Ya know, after I got home from my hunt last night, I was on cloud 9 and thought, why didn't I do this NV thing sooner? Certainly the cost was a huge factor but I also wasn't sure if it would work in my particular hunting situation. Now tonight I will hunt at a different stand that overlooks a swamp bottom and test the scope out there.

Originally Posted By: weekenderPressing my eye glasses into the rubber cup on the scope is the part I don't like.
Maybe glasses isn't the answer then.? Can I just get new eyes???LOL

GG,You said "I also have the NV brightness level on low - may try changing that"

put it on med and leave it there. Sending you a PM.

Do you mean that the scope itself can be set for different levels of brightness so that you can see a brighter image through the ocular as well as a brighter video?

Gobbler, it is refreshing to hear that the ATN rep was very helpful. Maybe they are finally getting the word that their customer service has not been good. Would be great to see some good CS from them.

Keep the photos and videos coming.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Do you mean that the scope itself can be set for different levels of brightness so that you can see a brighter image through the ocular as well as a brighter video?

Gobbler, it is refreshing to hear that the ATN rep was very helpful. Maybe they are finally getting the word that their customer service has not been good. Would be great to see some good CS from them.

They call it light sensitivity settings. Med works the best. This is separate from the IR torch which also has settings.

Originally Posted By: weekenderOriginally Posted By: 6mm06Do you mean that the scope itself can be set for different levels of brightness so that you can see a brighter image through the ocular as well as a brighter video?

They call it light sensitivity settings. Med works the best. This is separate from the IR torch which also has settings.
Which is different yet from the screen brightness setting which can be adjusted by settings 1-the lowest to 5-the brightest.

Gobbler, does the X-Sight zoom in increments / stages or is it a continuous zoom? Also, at what point above the base mag of 3x do you lose real clarity? Is the scope clear at around 6x or 7x?

Not sure you have or have used a Photon, but if you have, how would you rate the X-Sight to the Photon, specifically in brightness?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Gobbler, does the X-Sight zoom in increments / stages or is it a continuous zoom? Also, at what point above the base mag of 3x do you lose real clarity? Is the scope clear at around 6x or 7x?

Not sure you have or have used a Photon, but if you have, how would you rate the X-Sight to the Photon, specifically in brightness?
Appears to me continuous. You can choose 2 different zoom settings: standard or extended. Extended zoom gives an electronic zoom of 10X the optical zoom. 3-14 in extended zoom becomes 3-30x but considerable pixilation is to be expected.
On standard zoom, I'm not sure where I loose clarity. I'll try to pay attention to that next time I use the scope. When I'm hunting I don't mess with settings on it really, besides I need ALL the FOV I can get. I have not used a Photon.

gg, Congrats on the Red!!! Also, excellent info on the X-Sight. After using it now for a bit, what clarity/usability do you think you would have at 130 yds out to 200 yds? I'm just curious if any of these digital rigs would be repeatably/dependable at those distances. I do know the IR illuminator would be a big factor here.

Originally Posted By: baitpilegg, Congrats on the Red!!! Also, excellent info on the X-Sight. After using it now for a bit, what clarity/usability do you think you would have at 130 yds out to 200 yds? I'm just curious if any of these digital rigs would be repeatably/dependable at those distances. I do know the IR illuminator would be a big factor here.
Not sure at those ranges. I hunt close (25-40yrds.) If I get some free time to set up some yardages I will. Right now been working 12 and 13 hr. days...to pay for the scope!!
w00t.gif

Back