Baiting

Happened sooner than I expected with it pouring rain. Came in at 11. I opted for the Photon 4.6 XT on this one since the thermal was pretty washed out in the rain. Still raining so don't have any pictures yet.

At Last! Friday night things finally came together for me with the ATN x-sight.
2 vixens Jan. 26, 2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr
I got in one of my stands early knowing that the fox I missed a week ago was coming in early in the evening. At about 5:50 she waltzed into the bait pile and I was able to take her at 35yrds. No IR was used for I could see her well enough without.
YouTube video of shot.

Then, the night got better when I moved on to another bait site I had only set up since the beginning of January in an open field. The game camera had been showing two fox at that site fairly regular. Since it was late in evening I did not go to my usual set up location rather snuck in on the outer fringes of that field so as not to spook any fox that may already be there. As I scanned the field I saw a Red feasting hardily at the bait - -Good deal! I sat down resting the gun on my knee and tried sighting her in. With my bad eyesight and at 3x I ended up zooming up with the scope quite a bit in order to get the shot. Once I was able to cross hair her shoulder well enough for the shot I took it and she dropped right there. The shot was exactly 100 yrds. IR was set on high and I don't remember what the zoom was set on. My video techniques are shotty but the objective was achieved = 2 dead fox! Felt good to get the monkey off my back!!
YouTube video of shot

Last edited:

Nice going Gobbler. What is your impression of the X-Sight at this point? Do you have a bright view? What about clarity when zooming?

Today while in Cabela's, i was able to get my hands on the exact scope you have, look through it and play around with the menu a bit and change crosshais. I like the looks and feel of the scope, plus the various options but can't quite bring myself to a conclusion about it after months of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos. So, give me the low down.

Not a very good photo of the coyote from last night after soaking in a pouring rain all night. The 58 V-max broke her front should and leg but did not exit on the side showing. I don't normally shoot them in the shoulder with a V-max, but I wanted to see what it would do on bone.

This female has a white tip, so I guess I get two points for this one.

. by Double Up, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice going Gobbler. What is your impression of the X-Sight at this point? Do you have a bright view? What about clarity when zooming?

Today while in Cabela's, i was able to get my hands on the exact scope you have, look through it and play around with the menu a bit and change crosshais. I like the looks and feel of the scope, plus the various options but can't quite bring myself to a conclusion about it after months of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos. So, give me the low down.
Sent you a PM

Awesome thread guys. I have a very crude set up that is working like a charm. I live on a great yote location and usually trap and shoot several within sight of my house every year. Last year I caught 21 in this section. Due to a shoulder injury I couldn’t trap this year so I set up a kill station. Killed 25 yotes so far.
The set up is a red flood light and a security camera on the side of my shed. When a yote shows up on cam he gets it. The rifle I’ve been usuing is a 22mag with hornady 30 gr vmax. I did shoot several with Winchester 40gr hollow points. Getting less runners out of the hornadys. Shots are close 15 to 70 yards. My best evening was three yotes.
If someone can show me how to post pics of my dang iPhone I have a bunch.
Looking at the atn sight hard.

Welcome Yote. Sounds like you have really dropped a bunch this season.

In order to post photos, you will have to use an online host. Several of us are using Flikr. You can send your photos to that site (or another of your choosing) once you set up an account. Then you post the photos to our forum via the hosting site.

Thanks guys. Been a good night so far. Got two dead and one hit. Had a round stick in my Cz and had to get the Ruger out for the last two. Haven’t had a yote here for three nights and they are coming out of the wood work tonight.
Signed into flickr. Now to figure it out.

Outstanding work gg and DU!!! Great job!!! Stay after em. I'm hoping things pick up here some with the weather cooling down a bit and breeding right around the corner. Downside...we start seeing the bad rubbed necks and so forth destroying any value to the fur. But, that sure doesn't deteriorate the fun!!! Holy Cow yoteguts...those are some numbers now...in IL non the less!!!! You are in a hotspot for sure!!! Lets get those pics up!!!

E69A123B-41C3-48A2-B9EE-95093FD4BA41.jpeg
Dang it thought I had it for a minute.

? If using Flickr are your pics out there for everything me to see? Sorry guys kinda tech challenged.

Last edited:
yg, once you get the pic loaded on flickr, then click on the picture and that will give you an option in the bottom right hand corner that looks like a curved road sign. That is the share button. Once you click on it, you'll have 3 or 4 options. Choose bbcode. Then click on the link that comes up in the box and paste that in your message. That should do it.

Coyotes have done nothing but taunt me for the last couple of weeks. My current work situation brings me home late nights and with some light fresh snow almost nightly I am treated to tracks up the road and into my driveway to within 30 yards of my garage. I have been treated to howling when I get home and the occasional text from family while at work telling me of the noise out back. Friday I was treated with 2 coyotes at 2:30 pm which I proceeded to miss my shot...my fault. That did not scare them... they were still around and noisy when I got home from work. My shot is a 200 yard bait shot and I am still doing this old school. I could see a coyote out on the snow but between the scope and my older eyes just could not see well enough to pull the trigger. Over the weekend knowing full moon is still not here I made some adjustments. Added additional bait site and made it so I could see it in the moon light and they would feel safe. Sunday 9 PM yotes started carrying on barking, yapping and I waited and waited some more until 10:10 pm I spotted one moving in to check out the new spot and at 100 yards I had no problem seeing it. It checked out the bait but left it alone and as it made its way across the field. BANG FLOP 223 with a Vmax hammered it. Nice female....and since then it has been quiet all week. I know there are plenty more around we also have a large amount of rabbits this year which I think has kept them interested in my area.

Back