Factory .223 ammo for coyotes

BangFlop

Tried the search function and nothing i found is from after 2012.

I am shooting a Remington LTR with a 1/9 twist. I am calling coyotes only (we have very few fox, never called one in). I am expecting all my shots to be 50-150 yards and definitely under 250 for sure. I am looking to “plant” them on the spot more than I am looking to save fur. I am also not concerned with price as I want the best round possible.

Hope I covered my situation well enough to get a bunch of good suggestions.

Happy New Year All!

Steve

Just saw a youtube video of Les Johnson saying he has been trying the Hdy American gunner, 55 gr hp I believe. He likes the hp's and said they are doing very well for him.

Hornady 52gr. BTHP is my favorite. But Fiocchi 50gr. V-Max is the most accurate I've shot in my rifle. Having said that any 55 grain V-Max or Softpoint you can find will get the job done. I've killed them with several different brands. You just don't have to worry as much about punching through bone with the softpoint as you do with V-Max or some of the lighter thinner jacketed hollowpoints like the Winchester 45gr. JHP. I've never had a problem shooting them in the shoulder with the Hornady 52gr.

Ultramax .223 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. They have shot well in every .223 I have owned including Tikka's and Sako's.
Current Sako .223 1-8 twist 3 shots touching at 100 yds.
Usually entrance with no exit and it drops them regularly. I limit myself to 300 yds with this caliber on coyotes.
Black Hills has some good stuff, Vmax can shoot good groups but can splash or be very messy.

Last edited:
Possibly Winchester superx 55gn softpoint. Or another brand with a similar bullet. This type of bullet doesn't expand as much as varmint tips. The result is deeper penetration with more damage.

The fun thing about factory ammo is you can buy just one box of all these good suggestions, go to the range and let your rifle tell which one it likes. It’s just like doing load development with hanloads.

I'd recommend trying the Fiocchi's in either 50 or 55 gr. Even the 40 gr.s do well for me. They're often on sale online through bigger outdoor retailers.

How concerned are you with velocity? I noticed that Ultramax tend to be 100’s of FPS slower with same bullet as other brands.

Thanks all. Please keep them coming.

Steve

Originally Posted By: SUPRX22Anyone try the Federal American Eagle Varmint Predator loads? Look like something good on paper.
They weren't as accurate out of my .223 as other 50 grain bullets. Shot about 4 high and an inch left in my 22-250 and every time I went to kick an empty out the bolt would stick. Killed lots of prairie dogs and blew a jackrabbits head about 6 foot in the air at 350 yards with them out of my 22-250. They'd get the job done on a coyote I'd imagine. I just couldn't get them to shoot like I'd like in my bolt guns. Might see if my AR likes them any better.

White Box Winchester used to have a pretty loyal following. Tried some but, I have been reloading so long that it is hard to catch up to the stuff I roll myself. I bought factory .223 in '95 and then reloaded after that. Bought some factory stuff last year to run through an AR, no bueno...

Originally Posted By: BangFlopHow concerned are you with velocity? I noticed that Ultramax tend to be 100’s of FPS slower with same bullet as other brands.

Thanks all. Please keep them coming.

Steve

I was aware but not concerned since I only use it close range, otherwise the .22-250 gets the nod.
I have other .223 ammo that shoots good too and if it was the only gun I would probably opt for the hotter loads.
I have Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 50 gr combined tech Nosler ballistic tip with Lubalox that shoot good with positive kills.
And Remington Accutip 50 gr(supposedly VMax bullet) that shoot very good and kill pretty good. Sometimes ugly messy.
Using Remington 55 gr PSP and Black Hills 55 gr PSP they have less pelt damage but give far more spinners and runners with .223 vs .22-250. These are from both Blue box and Red Box.
I have also used the Winchester White Box 45 gr and get better results in the .22-250 but both are about the dirtiest shooting powder, just look down your barrel after some shooting.
53 gr Superformance Seem to shoot good in some guns and not so good in others. Haven't figured that one out.
Would like to try the Nosler lead free bullets in the future.

I've had good luck with Ultramax ammo. I shoot the V-Max in my gun. It doesn't shoot much different than the SP's for me. The first two coyotes I killed last winter were with Ultramax 55 grain Softpoints. The first one from 75 yards dead square in the shoulder. The second one at 150 yards. All I could see was his head. The bullet went in one ear and straight out the other. The pressure build up in his cranium dislocated his jaw. Pretty lethal bullet on coyotes.

It all kills em! Match 68 bthp, 50/55/60 v-max, 60 Nosler, superformance, 75 match stuff. They’ve all killed yotes for me. The 60 Nosler was my favorite but I also had unreasonably good luck getting heart/lung shots that dropped em when using that box of ammo. The 68 took one at 400 yards with 1.5 shots.

Originally Posted By: basdjsI'd recommend trying the Fiocchi's in either 50 or 55 gr. Even the 40 gr.s do well for me. They're often on sale online through bigger outdoor retailers.
MidwayUSA has them on sale now, I think several different weights, I didn't pay close attention I shoot a 260

I like 60 grain vmax in the 223. From freedom munitions, great company.

But, I can tell you the absolute, hands down bestest, most killing, DRT nap Ammo to knock coyotes down every time and never lose one. It is simple....the one bullet that hits the coyote square in the vitals is by far the best one to use. Plain and simple, "you put a torpedo into the engine room the Submarine goes down" every time!

Back